Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInBlack View Post
Magic Missile. Always Magic Missile.
haha, or glitter dust.
I am constantly teasing Madscientist about his use of glitter dust
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Oh, that reminds me. Zynga games. I am addicted to Facebook games.

Glitter dust reminded me, because CastleVille frequently makes me beg people for "glitter dust" and "fairy wings." Oh, the teasing.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM

"I shoot the darkness!!"

(Yes, real quote from a real gaming session. Wasn't me.)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Oooooh boy where to begin on this thread....

Let me start at the begining. I started gaming, back in the day, on an old Commodore 64 my parents had. Playing things like Frogger and Q-Bert, as well as things like Bruce Lee's Kung Fu and Zork 1-3 (I later tracked down a CD that has all the Zork games up to Return to Zork on it).

About a year after it came out my mother broke down and bought me an NES. I was a pretty hardcore Nintendo gamer up until a few years ago when things started to really split and what system you had really did matter. As of right now I own a Wii that Yoda plays, and the XBox 360 which everyone plays. The hot games for me from the consoles are pretty much the Mass Effect series, that and Gears of War. I'm a sucker for epic last stands, and both games pull them off well.

For my PC I just picked up a copy of Oblivion with all the DLC for $6.25 on Steam so I've been poking at that every now and again. My main games are The Old Republic, City of Heroes, and World of Tanks. I've also got a severely neglected League of Legends account.

As for other games...

I learned to play Magic right around the release of The Dark and stopped in '98. I picked it up again for about a year when my local gaming group looked for something to do. In that time I picked up Magic, Pokemon, and Legend of the Five Rings. Of those the only one I miss is Legend of the Five Rings. It was a good mix of everything and the story that's told from set to set is pretty awesome, if you like samurai epics.

I play Warmachine, and was a massive Games Workshop junkie. I have 2 40K armies (Dark Angels/Deathwing and Tau), a fantasy army (Dark Elves), an Epic force (combined Eldar/Imperium), 2 Necromunda gangs, a Blood Bowl team (High Elves), and some other stuff kicking about. I stopped playing when the rules changed every couple of years, required you to buy a $70 book, and that there was no guaranteeing that models you'd bought prior would be worth a damn in the new version. So rather then keep pouring money into it I walked away and picked up Warmachine.

As for RPGs, I usually end up running the games around here. I've run/played more games then I care to list (it's a lot of typing, really) and read more on top of it. I see running games as a craft of sorts, weaving a story that others want to participate in while everyone has a good time. I usually end up running something horror related, with an Orpheus game being my best so far. Currently I'm running a Scion game and am prepping for another WoD game. I'd love to do more sci-fi RPGs, but the folks I game with prefer fantasy or modern style settings.

Also, I LARP. Both in a salon style, and with boffers. Laugh if you want to, then come out and try and keep up. Also, while not a LARP but still with foam weapons, I fight Dagorhir. Spear mostly, sometimes other things.

Also, Catan rocks. I don't get to play it often enough.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 PM

I started video gaming on the Atari, moved up to the old 8bit NES when I was about 8, got a Sega Genesis when I was in 6th grade. Earth worm JIm on Sega channel and Buck O'hare were some of my favorites. We got our first computer when I was 15, right around the time that I was introduced to Vampire the Masquerade table top game. On the computer I played Caesar III and Diablo II.

Runic wolf's gamer friends took me in after he left for basic training. They bought me my first deck of magic cards and got me into their after school D&D game. We played a hybrid of 2nded when the 3rd Ed rules came out and our gm wanted to give them a try.

We currently have a Wii and a 360. I am playing through Dragon age origins. On the PC I play City of Heroes. We table top game every week, alternating between Changeling and Scion. I <3 white wolf. We also LARP.

For years we played Legend of the Five Rings the card game, but there are no local players around here. I played Blood Angels on Warhammer 40k up until a few years ago and Britonians in Fantasy. I currently have a Retribution army for Warmachine.

Everyone should play Settlers of Catan...... They even have it computerized for Xbox 360.

Last edited by BrigidsDaughter; 01-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM

I've played Magic (high school) and Legend of the Five Rings (college) and even LARP'd a bit, but none of them ever grabbed me.

And I SUCK at strategy games. Good at Tetris, though.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM

Ooh, I forgot about Magic.

Oh, and my guilty pleasure... Pokemon. I can't not play it! I don't know why! Save me.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:05 AM

I must be one of the loan wolfs. I started out on board games such as Clue, Monopoly and life then one day discovered D&D and was hooked for years on it. Computer games had not really come out then except for in the arcades and since we did not have much money RPG's was my escape. I would still play them but cannot find anyone in my area who want to play and can work with my schedule and around kids. Later on I discovered computer games but I never really got involved in them to much except for the original wolfestien and all of the Doom games. I do not care for the FB games and have no time for the online games like WoW and stuff.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 AM

Everyone in our Monday night game has kids. But this was not the norm for years.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM

In reading all the games mentioned in this thread, I feel like I'm looking at a foreign language!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Tags
computer, console, entertainment, gamer, gaming