Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Fine. More mammoths for me!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM

I often use bisexuality as a great push into describing how poly is a good idea.

You enjoy both male and female, but can only choose one at a time? Wouldn't you rather have both? But of course, there are other differences other than the obvious. Even between two females or two males. Even a room full of 100 people... They all bring something different to the table. All the possibilities of amazing people...

Or something like that. =]

I'm not bisexual myself, but I think if I were female, I at least could be. Possibly. But I'll never find out in this life. =]
=]
Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 PM

I haven't read all the many responses yet but wanted to add what I could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
Do you think being Bi makes someone more likely to be open to the idea of poly? Does being attracted to more than one gender have an effect on the way we look at relationships in general?
You're probably on to something. While I would never go so far as to say something generic and over-broad as "Bi's are more likely to be poly." No, that'd be irresponsible, probably.
However, I WILL say that bisexuals might be more open-minded to accept polyamory as a valid route to go, because they are more likely to understand the benefits it has for them.

Heterosexuals kinda have this expectation on them that they'll grow up, get married (monogamously), have kids, etc etc. LGBT folks...once they are out and comfortable in their sexuality...are less likely to have this as an expectation to live up to, in my view.

And it's not just bisexuals as compared to straights....I also think bi's are more likely to understand poly concepts than gays, too. (At least that's been my experience, both in friends and in dating---bi guys just seem to grasp the concept easier than the gay ones I talk to.)

In North Carolina? Check out: facebook.com/ncPoly
In Raleigh/Durham? Check out www.meetup.com/TrianglePolyamory
Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInBlack View Post
I'd hug you, but I took an arrow to the knee.
UGH! Facebook and hanging out with a few of my friends has been painful for me ever since Skyrim came out. I'm pretty sure I saw over 50 comments about arrows to the knee in the last 24 hours. And I keep my friends list down to like 150!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Wow, that beats me! I think I only saw two. TGIB has a tendency to speak in meme, which half the time he then has to explain to me.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM

I'm a meme-aholic.. I admit it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 PM

We're all gamers here too. Mmo's, WOW and Starcraft, I don't play Starcraft and only irregularly play WOW, Madscientist plays Starcraft and Gamerboy plays WOW, and we all play rpgs together. Gamerboy taught me how to play Magic and WOW when we first got together and I started playing rpgs so Madscientist and Gamerboy could have a larger enough group to play.
I blame them for turning me into such a geek.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Please keep stuff on topic guys. =]
=]
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Why? Not trying to be snarky, asking an honest question.

People are still welcome to make on-topic posts. Castalia's post WAS on topic, insofar as the idea got brought up that there are other commonalities of people who are poly. So were other posts on this very page. A few posts were more "social"- this isn't an "issue" thread. I'm not asking for help or advice (I understand it would be QUITE rude to hijack a thread where someone is upset and trying to work through something). I asked for people's thoughts, and perhaps the conversation wandered a bit. Is that so bad?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM

both my husband and i are bisexual (pansexual, actually). and being bi is the main reason for being poly, for me. i just don't crave another male's touch as much as i crave a females'. but, i would say, being kinky also has a lot to do with my wanting to be poly, because the local kink community has some poly people who are also kinky and family oriented... and i looked at that and said, "hey, that looks like something i would love!"

Tags
bisexual, bisexual female, bisexual male, bisexuality, sexuality