Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 PM

One week until the big move! We're taking a train out there, so once again, I'm having to face giving up my dog. Only it's for real this time. Fiona has only actually acknowledged us moving once when she said she is going to miss me. She admits that she will never even attempt to plan a visit because she'd rather go visit her family. I told her I quite honestly only plan to come back to Indiana every other year or so, because we use our vacation for US not for OTHERS.

I never got to go on many vacations as a kid because of my mom's health issues, and money was always tight, so Keith and I make it a point to do new things one our vacations. I also know that my family will make the effort to come see me and that I have Skype and various other means of communication for when we don't get to actually physically be together.

This move will not only signify the end of any type of relationship Fiona and I had, but will also pretty much end the friendship. If neither of them can take 2 seconds out of their day to call/text/facebook even in response to my messages, I don't see any sort of contact lasting once we don't see each other weekly.

On the positive side... I found an apartment complex I think we will really like and we are starting the application process in advance. I looked up reviews, crime info, and all that jazz and it seems like a good area. As long as we like it during the walk through when we get there, they will have an apartment ready for us the day or the day after we arrive! I also already got invited to attend a wine tasting event with a women's only group, which is exciting.

I'm terrified and thrilled at the same time. In one week, my life will be completely different.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM

I thought you were able to keep your doggie! Can't you look for a pet-friendly apartment and bring the dog?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
I thought you were able to keep your doggie! Can't you look for a pet-friendly apartment and bring the dog?
The apartment I love actually IS pet friendly, but we are taking a train out there (it costs about half as much as the gas to drive) and no pets are allowed on the train for a trip that long.

Our neighbors actually LOVE her, so I think she will be moving next door. Part of me thinks that's great because it won't be a completely new area, but then again since it is right next door to where we live(d), she may just keep expecting us to come back all the time.

Financially, the train is our best option. We also are terrible on long trips - getting lost, arguing, etc, so it is probably better for us in general, too. The only downside is having to find the dog a new home. His parents refuse to take her (they took our other dog who has anxiety issues), and nobody in my family can have her for allergy reasons.

The people that plan on visiting us the soonest are also taking a train, so having her stay somewhere for a few weeks and then coming with someone else isn't an option either.

The only other option would be seeing if his parents would keep her for a while until we get settled and then ship her to us. That would cost a couple of hundred dollars, though, and I just feel like that would be really stressful for her.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Oooh, if I were you, I'd look into crowdsourcing to raise funds to send her to the new place. You can have your neighbors watch her for a while, then use indiegogo.com (or similar platforms) to start a fundraising campaign, and post your need to animal groups. You'd likely get enough donations to cover a few hundred dollars for a safe and comfortable way to send her, either as cargo or with someone. Happy to brainstorm with you if you want to PM me about it.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM

Every time I look at train tickets, I find that flying is nearly the same price, especially when I consider the time it takes to get someplace . You may even want to check on options of flying the dog out, while you take the train. Good Luck!

This is an awesome place for pets. I know it's in Utah, but they may have some options for you. http://www.bestfriends.org/index.htm
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks, nycindie! I'm thinking we can probably get his parents to help us out and get the dog out there, as long as Keith goes along with this plan. He's never been a big fan of my dog, and as bad as he felt for me having to give her up, he was kind of looking forward to being pet-free once we get out there so that we wouldn't have to worry about pet sitters or boarding her when we want to go on trips.

SNeacail - Plane tickets are about the same price, but the train tickets include 3 pieces of checked luggage per person and the airlines charge per bag on top of ticket prices. We've also always wanted to take a train trip so it kind of kills two birds with one stone!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Or you can post an ad over at this site and have people bid on bringing poochie out to you, if that's what you choose.

Giving up a dog is a horrible decision to have to make. I did it two years ago when I took a job with long hours in a city. I left my dog with my parents knowing that my father would fall in love with her and, thus, it has come to pass. I tell everyone that she's retired alongside my parents, and he told me she's better than any grandkid I could have given them. So...that's a bonus in my book!

Also, I like your choice of the train. Likely, you'll arrive a bit more relaxed and having seen some really neat parts of the country.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzels View Post
I left my dog with my parents knowing that my father would fall in love with her and, thus, it has come to pass. I tell everyone that she's retired alongside my parents, and he told me she's better than any grandkid I could have given them. So...that's a bonus in my book!
THAT I would be 100% okay with, no real grief caused. Keith's dog is living with his parents now, which she loves and makes us feel better since we KNOW she's okay. They just couldn't make themselves take two, which is understandable but frustrating.

I know our neighbors are amazing people, and that she will be spoiled rotten, taken on walks every day, will still get to cuddle up and take naps with the kids, and all of that good stuff. It's just letting go of MY reliance on her for comfort and company that is the hard part. I'm pretty sure that I will worry less in the short term if I'm not trying to figure out how we're getting her there, if she's going to make the trip alright (she is part pug and boston terrier so she already has the noisy breathing, and apparently that makes flying harder on them), and whether or not adjusting to a new place then being shipped then adjusting to a really new place will affect her. I'll miss her, but I think I will just try to let her go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzels View Post
Also, I like your choice of the train. Likely, you'll arrive a bit more relaxed and having seen some really neat parts of the country.
That's the goal!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 AM

I had a sex dream about Mario!! lol Kinda freaked me out. I mean, it's not really all that surprising since he and Fiona have both made appearances in my dreams before, but usually in the context of group sex where Keith is present or just random everyday events... This time ,though, it was just me and Mario.

He made me orgasm from coitus for the first time ever -after about a year of having a swinging friendship with them - just a few weeks ago, and we haven't had any sexual contact since then. Apparently I really enjoyed it since I relived it last night.

Oddly enough, I've never had a dream about just Fiona and me. In any context. Maybe that should have been a sign early on...

Keith thought it was hilarious. I think it was just plain weird.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 AM

I agree with Keith, but my mono hubby has had a number of dreams lately involving me, him, TGIB, TGIB's (hypothetical) gf, and another couple, and I think THEY'RE hilarious so I suppose I could be biased!