Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Wow, what a great thread! I attended a UU church for many years before some life changes moved me away. I always felt so blessed when I got to perform for the church services. I do miss the people at my old congretation and have toyed with the idea of going back to visit. This thread has inspired me to go find a UU church where I'm living now.

peace and blessings to all!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtoher View Post
...I attended a UU church for many years before some life changes moved me away. ... This thread has inspired me to go find a UU church where I'm living now.
I hope you'll look us up at uupa.org

If and when you feel safe to do so, will you consider telling the minister and/or church members at your new congregation that UUPA contributed to your decision to return?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegld View Post
I hope you'll look us up at uupa.org

If and when you feel safe to do so, will you consider telling the minister and/or church members at your new congregation that UUPA contributed to your decision to return?
I will most definitely!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 AM

Have always liked UU. You can be anything else and still attend Very open minded people.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Been actively UU for about 7 years and attending UU churches on and off for much longer. I'd never heard of UUPA until now, but it sounds very UU, and I see no reason why UUs wouldn't support polyamorous relationships as we have same sex marriage. I flirt with going back to the United Church of Canada occasionally (many of their congregations are liberal to the point of being UU Christian in all but name) but can't quite wrap my head around giving up the diversity that I find in UU'ism. Nice to see so many other UUs and UU-curious folks around here. Will keep watching this thread.

Mendalla
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM

Red face I should have known this.

I have been a UU for almost 13 years. Served two terms as a board member. Was the volunteer Director of Religious Education for 3 years. On more committees and teams than I can count. Currently serving on the newcomers/membership team. I have also been working for over a year as the office administrator for the UU church I attend. And I NEVER knew this existed. Shame on me.

Last edited by Majikdancer; 08-21-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Update on UUPA

In case anyone receives update notices on this thread, I thought I'd invite you to check out the new thread on the same topic. We just finished the UUA General Assembly in Charlotte NC, and UUPA had an Exhibit Hall booth again.

Jasmine
Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM

Thank you for sharing this. I am UU (and new here) and think this is a really great organization. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM

WOW! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread!!! Hopefully this is posted in the right place!

My wife and I are and odd mix of religious beliefs, seems there's nothing strange about that these days! I have Pagan /New age leanings and though I was raised Southern Baptist I never really connected with Christianity. My wife is a "recovering" Christian with a new acceptance of the validity of other paths!

Neither of us are actively participating in any form of spiritual endeavor and we have discussed our local UU church as a possible way to pursue our spiritual lives together. However, we are in a tiny ULTRA, ULTRA CONSERVATIVE town in Pennsylvania near Gettysburg (also small/ultra conservative).

We are also considering approaching a poly relationship which compounds the problem we face! The local UU church is for all intents and purposes a Christian church. It is VERY apparent that any discussion or pursuit of poly, pagan or other alternative path knowledge/spirituality is largely frowned upon in that church!!!

It appears there are UUPA contacts "relatively" local (withing 100-150 miles) but no listing of UU churches that we might be a better "fit" with due to our interests. Does anyone know of a list that specifies a range of interests covered in each church? When we "google" it we get several hundred churches and we would have to sift through each webpage individually!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 PM

Default Finding a UU congregation in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr View Post
My wife is a "recovering" Christian with a new acceptance of the validity of other paths!
Does she want to explore Christianity from this new perspective? There is an organization called UU Christian Fellowship, which will be holding a Revival near D.C. March 22-25. I highly recommend the organization and the Revival.
http://www.uuchristian.org

Quote:
The local UU church is for all intents and purposes a Christian church. It is VERY apparent that any discussion or pursuit of poly, pagan or other alternative path knowledge/spirituality is largely frowned upon in that church!!!
I am confused. Are you talking about the UUs of Gettysburg congregation? They have a Pagan interest group called Spiral Paths CUUPS, as well as a Buddhist meditation group. Have you talked with anyone in Spiral Paths CUUPS?
http://www.uugettysburg.org/othergroups.htm

The Unitarian Church of Harrisburg also has a Pagan group, called Clover Grove:
http://www.harrisburguu.org/Lay-Led/clovergrove.asp

The UU Congregation of Frederick MD has both a Pagan group, called CUUPS, and a UU Christian Fellowship group.
http://www.frederickuu.org/home/index.php

Quote:
We are also considering approaching a poly relationship which compounds the problem we face!
I encourage you to make an appointment with the Gettysburg minister. Tell her all your various interests and your concerns about acceptance, and ask which congregations she recommends you visit to look for a good fit. It seems she gets around to a lot of churches in the region, so there's a strong chance she'll have valuable info for you.

Worried about mentioning polyamory to a minister? Don't be. UU ministers have heard of polyamory. They don't all agree about what to do with it, but at least they've heard of it.

If you need to, you can say that Jasmine from UUPA recommended that you speak with her, or with any UU minister for that matter. And you can print this message and show it to the minister you speak with.

Quote:
It appears there are UUPA contacts "relatively" local (withing 100-150 miles) but no listing of UU churches that we might be a better "fit" with due to our interests. Does anyone know of a list that specifies a range of interests covered in each church? !
Not exactly, but sort of. Visit the congregation search page on the UUA website and check the box that says:

"Show only congregations that have taken part in the UUA Welcoming Congregation Program to become more inclusive toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people."

The congregation search page is here:
http://uua.org/directory/congregations/index.php

"Welcoming Congregation" does not include polyamory. However, congregations that are recognized as Welcoming Congregations have completed an inclusion curriculum that can be helpful when it comes to talking and thinking about polyamory.

This search page shows 14 UU congregations within 50 miles of Gettysburg, 11 of which are Welcoming Congregations.

Harrisburg and Frederick are both Welcoming Congregations,

Jasmine

Tags
church, polyamory, unitarian, universalism