Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 PM

Yay! Welcome to the forums katharinerose!

Not off topic at all I think. And yeah, I could feel the pain of what it must be like to file those taxes during the conversation I had.

Having to swear you were monogamous for health insurance... That is really creepy. I hope universal healthcare doesn't become a complete shambles (now that really is a off topic lol).

I'd be looking forward to hear about your experience this weekend if you do go to your new UU!

We moved recently and started attending a UU church. There is commingling between a few congregations in this region. I've met some great people and I feel quite at home. It would be great to have a UUPA chapter here as well.

I may add more later. Late lunch is over

~Raven~

~Open up your mind and let me step inside.
Rest your weary head and let your heart decide. It's so easy.
When you know the rules.
It's so easy. All you have to do is fall in love.
Play the game.
Everybody play the game of love. Yeah...~
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm glad I noticed this thread. I've been meaning to check out UU for almost 10 years but never got around to it (). I was just talking with Maenad and some of our friends about heading to our local UU meeting this Sunday to check it out. Now I'm definately going.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 PM

We're visiting a different UU church this Sunday too. That'll be fun to come back and see what everyone's experience was like

~Raven~

When you know the rules.
Play the game.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 AM

How was everyone's UU experience this weekend?

Mine was interesting. People were very, very, very friendly. Like, almost scary friendly. And there were name tags. Coming from a very reserved New England congregation, it was a nice surprise. I spent two years at my church in MA, even was a soloist with the choir, and never really got to know people that well. Not that people weren't nice and polite, but I never really felt like one of them. The people here are like your college roommates parents who meet you and invite you to their house for Christmas and then hug you goodbye within the space of an hour.

On the other hand, the service wasn't anywhere near as beautiful and inspiring as my old church. I always left feeling invigorated and that I had learned something new. The minister was at the district conference and the lay leaders, well, they seem like nice old guys but never seemed to have a point. And it was a much more casual service than I'm used to, which is fine, but I enjoy my ritual. They are currently searching for a new minister, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm going to keep attending, as the community seems wonderful. But I may need to bug my old ministers about putting the sermons out as podcasts.
And together we'll share life out on the loose.

Dancing about Architecture: A Journey into Polyamory
Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 PM

Default My newest UU experience

Hi katharinerose and everyone!

We visited another UU church a few weeks ago. The church itself is much brighter. More windows and more sunlight. The people are still very friendly. My love felt a few were "close-talkers" a la Seinfeld. This would be true.

Oddly, as in katharinerose's case, the minister was also not there and the service was run by the church leaders. I felt the service was very moving still as it centered on volunteerism and the experiences of the members who volunteered in different ways was shared.

My first impression is that this UU church is more service-oriented. More active. More activist. In addition to this, there was more of a Christian flavor here than in the other UU church we had visited. Both congregations are full of children but this one also seemed to have many teenagers and more younger adults than the other.

Coffee hour afterwards was still fun and full of discussion and mingling. I carried out tons of literature as I'm wont to do.

Currently I prefer the previous UU church but I think this has a great deal to do with the overwhelmingly welcome atmosphere I felt when I went to the first. It was as though the sermons and guest speakers were speaking to my experience personally even while the majority of the congregation may not have been from the same background as me. I also like the regular references to and insights taken from various religions.

I think it was matter of being in the right place at the right time unusually.

Depending on which sermon and events move us, we'll go back and forth between the two.

My birthday is coming up and we'll be going to the city (NYC). I'm hoping to visit one of the UU churches there as well and see what it's like. And perhaps meet up with a few poly people .

~Raven~

When you know the rules.
Play the game.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharinerose View Post
On the other hand, the service wasn't anywhere near as beautiful and inspiring as my old church.
Might you consider serving on the worship committee? Then you can participate in planning the services, and suggest ideas that will add in the beauty and inspiration that you miss.

Jasmine
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 AM

The fact that this exists is one of the reasons why I love the UU. You would never see this in the faith I was raised in.

Boo, Martin Luther.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Default Mim Chapman

I actually just interviewed Mim Chapman, who is an officer for Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness, on poly stuff. You can hear it here (http://www.eroticawakening.com/ea057...oly-look-like/)

Warmly,
Dan
Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Default Exploring UU

I'm currently just starting to explore Unitarianism. I've always found the concept interesting and invigorating, not being able to fully accept the 'Christian' version of the truth, or any other version that says 'My God is right, and yours is wrong...'. I'm planning to attend the Canadian Unitarian Council in Victoria in May, with friends from the poly community. Good to hear some of the positive feedback!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 PM

Talking

How wonderful! I've been UU for awhile and had no idea they were so supportive of the poly lifestyle. Not that I'm surprised....YAY UU!!!

Tags
church, polyamory, unitarian, universalism