Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 PM

Default Hosea the prophet

I love the book of Hosea. His story was a wife named Gomer that was a whore (poly). He was ordered by God to marry her. He was also instructed that he would raise children that were not his. He was told to love them and raise then as his own.
I would love to hear other peoples remarks and beliefs about this story.

Last edited by JonDeere245; 10-21-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 PM

Actually there are lots of problems with wording in the Bible. There are too many translations and opinions as to meanings. ok at the poor reputation they made for Mary Magdalene? Also Jews at the time and until the 13th Century or so were allowed to have more than one wife. We are told that if our brother dies, take his wife as our own and raise his children as our own. Also there are some tales about Poly lifestyle in The Secret Gospel of Luke, not much new under the sun
Old 10-21-2015, 03:52 PM

Well the story here is he was instucted to raise children, that are not his. Not his brothers. But by what is referred to as an unfaithful wife.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Official Greeter

I'm thinking the Hosea story may have been symbolic. Hosea raises children not his own to symbolize how God will adopt believers who are not children of Israel.

Just a guess.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I'm thinking the Hosea story may have been symbolic. Hosea raises children not his own to symbolize how God will adopt believers who are not children of Israel.

Just a guess.
You are right, but he was ordered by God to marry Gomer. He told him she would be with other men. He instructed him he would raise them as his own.
It is a God story to me. It gives us light on just how much we can love.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Official Greeter

Re:
Quote:
"It is a God story to me. It gives us light on just how much we can love."
I like that interpretation.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Context questions

Now that you bring this to my attention, I am very interested in learning more about this anomaly in scripture. I will research it. Maybe we can both learn more about this and how it relates to poly activities.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:23 PM

It is symbolic. Hosea (whose name means salvation) is instructed by Yahweh ("the Lord") to marry a woman who has many lovers. At that time (8th century BCE), the kingdoms of Israel and Judah were constantly applying to various kingdoms, such as Egypt, for financial support and protection. The northern kingdom of Israel, where Hosea lived, was in fact ruled by Assyria at this time.

Many inhabitants of Israel and Judah worshiped local gods such as Tammuz, Asherah, and the Queen of Heaven (the "baals"), offering the "sacred raisin cakes" to them, as mentioned in Hosea. Proponents of Yahwism objected to this worship and claimed Yahweh to be the true god of the Hebrews.

Hosea's family life reflected the "adulterous" relationship which Israel had built with other gods and cultures. The relationship between Hosea and Gomer parallels the relationship between Yahweh and Israel. Even though Gomer runs away from Hosea and has sex with another man, he loves her anyway and forgives her. Likewise, even though the people of Israel worshipped other gods, and made contracts with larger empires, Hosea, speaking as Yahweh, says he still loves them and has not abandoned his covenant with them.

The book was written as an attempt to draw devotees of other gods to Yahwism, showing they would be forgiven and protected by this god.

I don't think it's much of a comment on "polyamory."
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 62) loving Pixie (poly, F, 40) since January 2009, living together since 2013
Seeing Kahlo (polyish, M, 45)
Master, (mono, M, 36), Pixie's Dom/bf for 3+ years
Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Official Greeter

Thanks Magdlyn. I think polyamorists sometimes look for poly validation in the Bible when it isn't there. There's a difference between how we'd like to interpret something personally, and in this case, the accurate and objective interpretation which is what you provided. I appreciate and prefer that.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
It is symbolic. Hosea (whose name means salvation)
And 'Gomer' means 'Completion'', which adds to the metaphoric/symbolic dimension to the story.

Quote:
I don't think it's much of a comment on "polyamory."
Well, one could argue that a story of a woman having many lovers but a faithful husband could be a parable for Israel "whoring after strange gods" but still retaining the love of Yahweh, which in turn could be a parable for a woman having many lovers but a faithful husband...

Certainly, however, the adulterous woman reading is secondary to the adulterous Israel intention of the passage, which is its 'true' meaning. Just goes to show, again, that plain-reading of the Bible just does not work. It is full of allegory and parable as well as historical contexts that need to be understood.

My preferred reading of the story is pretty much the same as Magdlyn with the added extra that it was written by opponents of the royal and priestly dynasties of the dastardly northern kingdom of Israel/Samaria/Shomron by proponents of the righteous southern kingdom of Judea as a piece of work to underscore the 'turning away from God' of the kingdom and foreshadow the complete and utter destruction of the northern kingdom by the Assyrians in about 750BC. The depth of distrust and dislike of the Samarian/northern kingdom by the southern Judeans is indicated by Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417
Thanks Magdlyn. I think polyamorists sometimes look for poly validation in the Bible when it isn't there. There's a difference between how we'd like to interpret something personally, and in this case, the accurate and objective interpretation which is what you provided. I appreciate and prefer that.
For what it is worth, I think you are right. The Bible is subject to limitless personal interpretations. While the story of Hosea and Gomer might possibly be interpreted to provide an argument for divinely sanctioned polyamory, any Christian would have to stack that particular (debatable) reference against the pretty emphatic New Testament statements referring to monogamous marriage made 800 years later. It just doesn't work (IMO).

/Adam