Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM

Default SCOTUS ruling

Star Trek Enterprise, had a poly crew member Doctor Phlox. What about the recent ruling by SCOTUS on Gay marriage? They cited the 14th amendment and Equal Protection, now do poly couples have the right to marry a 3rd person? Not allowing polygamy would seem to fly in the face of that ruling?
Old 06-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Official Greeter

Hopefully people will eventually accept whatever is done between consenting adults. But right now, the idea of polygamous? polyamorous? marriage is just too much for people to handle. They're having a hard enough time with SSM as it is.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
Hopefully people will eventually accept whatever is done between consenting adults. But right now, the idea of polygamous? polyamorous? marriage is just too much for people to handle. They're having a hard enough time with SSM as it is.
I would like to see it for legal protection, especially of the second spouse. I was talking to a guy I know, he spent years in a monogamous relationship with another man. His partner dies and he was out in the cold, no claim to his pension or benefits. His life was turned upside down.
I wonder about a MFF marriage, unlike SSM, the Bible has a lot of it, The OT has how many Patriarchs with several wives? That seems to be one of the Christian Rights main attacks.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Official Greeter

Interestingly, (most of) the Christian Right wants nothing to do with modern-day polygyny, even while condoning the patriarchs who did it in the Old Testament. They'll use various excuses, such as, "Well that was a long time ago, things were different back then," or, "Well, God didn't *really* approve of it, He just tolerated it."
Old 06-26-2015, 06:50 PM

But didn't G*d give several of them their numerous wives? Why would one who is all powerful tolerate anything?
Old 06-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Official Greeter

Heh, I said they had various excuses ... didn't say they were good excuses.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:05 PM

There is really no argument against it. But they don't need a valid argument. We have some good and bad poly relationships on tv. The crux will be the liberal media portraying it in a normal family setting. The way gay relationships are portrayed. It starts to numb the arguments. With the SCOTUS decision saying SSM is the way of the Land, they will have no controversy in their programming.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Official Greeter

I think polyamorous marriage is bound to be legalized eventually. It's a question of when, not if.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:56 PM

Most certainly, several women's groups support it. As they feel it would permit women to have a family and a career. That and the good guys out there that are already married would get a second wife, because they are good guys, rather than a woman settling for an abusive asswipe. That is lame because I have seen too many DV couples that were both abusive or had a violent relationship and it was ok for them.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Official Greeter

Re:
Quote:
"That and the good guys out there that are already married would get a second wife, because they are good guys, rather than a woman settling for an abusive asswipe."
Heh, sounds like a good deal.