Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 AM

redpepper its fine for you have your opinions, judgements even. we all have to make judgements every day and do so. as a good friend once memorably said to me "keep an open mind - but not so wide open that your brain falls out".

just be prepared for others to judge you, form opinions about you too, which may not be hugely complimentary. it's only fair, as well as realistic, isn't it.

i am certainly forming lots of opinions and judgements about the small-mindedness of some folk on here, and feeling pity for them at the same time. makes me glad to be me, and to live here, instead of in their world.

nonetheless i agree that we all have a right to our opinions.

can't remember who said it but there's a famous quote i am fond of that goes something like this "i may disagree with everything you say and think but i will fight to the death for your right to say it". that's pretty much where i am coming from.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
can't remember who said it but there's a famous quote i am fond of that goes something like this "i may disagree with everything you say and think but i will fight to the death for your right to say it". that's pretty much where i am coming from.

Voltaire my good lady. He was responding to Rousseau.

He said (and I am sure it is a rough translation from French):

"I do not agree with a word you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it"

or

"I may not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Brilliant reference dakid. I am glad you made it. It made me smile to see others with similar values. I hold this one dear to my heart.

I would not feel so secure placing my right to express my opinion in the hands of some here.

~Raven~

~Open up your mind and let me step inside.
Rest your weary head and let your heart decide. It's so easy.
When you know the rules.
It's so easy. All you have to do is fall in love.
Play the game.
Everybody play the game of love. Yeah...~

Last edited by Ravenesque; 01-01-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 AM

thank you! it always frustrates me when i partially remember a quote and/or forget who said it.
i agree with what you say, sadly, but live in hope because people can and do learn and change with time.
glad you are here ravenesque!
x
Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
The Forum is a resource for anybody that self-identifies with Polyamory and who has a connection to New York State. Similar to other local communities, there are regularly-scheduled get-togethers. The rules for the forum were set up by the founding members of the forum and are publicly available at http://birdcage.wikidot.com/.
does that mean i would be welcome? i have a connection to NY state and self-identify with polyamory, but am not keen to enter another virtual space where i will be told what i practise is not polyamory. how is polyamory defined at the birdcage?
see i am not asking what happened in the past, but what the stance is now. i want to know if i would be welcome, and my views respected.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 PM

The 'definition' of polyamory runs rampant within that group as well - so you're input would be of interest as well.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosevett View Post
The 'definition' of polyamory runs rampant within that group as well - so you're input would be of interest as well.
all respect but i have no idea what these words mean - a definition running rampant? could you clarify perhaps?

thanks x
Old 01-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
does that mean i would be welcome? i have a connection to NY state and self-identify with polyamory
Then yes you would be welcome.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
all respect but i have no idea what these words mean - a definition running rampant? could you clarify perhaps?

thanks x
Ya - sometimes my words aren't clear - I come across much better in person..let's see - what I was trying to say - that as much as we see people defining polyamory here in multiple threads - it happens there as well.

so individual's 'defining polyamory' as they each need it to be defined, just on a smaller scale - the birdcage isn't as big as this or other sites.

did that help?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 01-01-2010, 06:03 PM

kind of. what i am hearing is that yes this is another forum where some will tell me that i am not in polyamorous relationship, where my identity and lifestyle may not be respected. perhaps i am misunderstanding? hope so.
x
Old 01-01-2010, 06:07 PM

having a difference of opinion is no reason to be disrespected and I have not seen that within the forums. So unless you are personally doing disrespectful things then you wouldn't be disrespected.

I'm curious as to how often you would choose not to go someplace because you think you will be disrespected, and not just for your lifestyle choices.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tags
casual sex, philosophy, poly practice, poly standards, sex