Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM

LOL All this removal....I just remove the "friends" on the list. 99% of them I've never met, nor talked to online...so they were simply a thing on my FB.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM

I pretty much friend anyone. Most of my active friends on fb are from here or my poly community here. I'm good with privacy settings for those I feel too vulnerable with. If anyone wants to add me I'm game as long they have actually posted on here (over 100 now). I quite often get random requests from people who haven't. I kinda feel better about knowing something about people.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4everu2 View Post
I actually just went through my FB account and cleaned house. Basically, if you don't know me in real life, you're not on my FB friends list. Simple. I got tired of having people postinbg in spanish, french, and arabic. I don't understand any of those languages, so I deleted them first. Then I got into a depression state, and deleted everyone else that I had never met in person before.

So in order to be on my facebook, I have to know you personally and have met you in person.
This is my criteria also.. Most of my "friends" are actually family members.. Facebook is how I stay in touch with my cousins.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 AM

I friend anyone, if I know where they're from. i.e. if you're some random person and I have no idea how you found me, then I ignore you. But if you're from some group I'm in, or we've messaged a few times, etc., then I'll accept.

That being said, I have a privacy list for people I am personally friends with (not just people I've met, but people I would have over for tea). They have access to my information, everyone else just gets my hometown and current city, and my likes/interests. They don't know my relationships, my status updates, contact info, etc. My privacy settings are setup so that by default, you get nothing, and I have to specifically add you to my "Know Personally" list for you to see anything interesting.

I went through a games phase where I was adding anyone who played farmville, cafe world, or that fish tank game... then I got busy with school and decided I didn't want complete strangers whom I knew nothing about on my friends list, so I deleted anyone I didn't recognize.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 AM

LoL, I'm also friends with the Dali Llama, and Erwin Schrodinger :P

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM

I'm embarrassed to say that quite often I develop friendships on there that are stronger than on here and then forget what a persons on line name is and talk t them like I don't know more about them than their poly lives....

If I haven't added you and you would like to be my friend on fb, please ask
Old 08-14-2010, 01:16 AM

I used to have people on FB that I met on BB or other online sites, etc.
I stopped that...after a rather odd experience with a person I met online that I didn't know in RL....(wasn't bad, really, just...well..odd).
Almost ALL of the people I have are friends I know in RL, with the exception of about...I think about 4-5? They are: family, friends (and family members of friends), former classmates, former roommates in a group home I lived in as a teen, former coworkers and current coworkers.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
If you use Firefox, there's a filter available that will remove much of the crap from your feed. Game postings, reports that so&so added so&so to their friends list, and so on.

The filter won't guarantee never seeing all of that because FB tweaks its code regularly and the filter won't remove stuff affected by the tweaks. It is updated fairly regularly to deal with the changes, though, and makes FB much easier to deal with.

You can find it at chocolatesoftware.com.
OMG thank you so very much! On FB you can't hide JUST the apps notifiers without hiding what your friends are saying as well so this may just solve my problem! No, I don't want to hide the friends because they are family & what they say is important to me.

I am going to share that link with friends, lol, so they can stop being frustrated as well.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathesgirl View Post
OMG thank you so very much! On FB you can't hide JUST the apps notifiers without hiding what your friends are saying as well so this may just solve my problem! No, I don't want to hide the friends because they are family & what they say is important to me.

I am going to share that link with friends, lol, so they can stop being frustrated as well.
ummmm...yes you can ... I do it all the time. When you go to hide something it asks if you want to hide the person, or the app itself.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM

most of my FB friends are people I was at school with,family or clients/business networks..
If any of you want to add me on FB,PM me your name/details and I will add you

Tags
facebook, friends