Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
This strikes me as funny. Back in graduate school, I tried to make a similar point to a postmodern feminist classmate of mine - only I focused on the ways in which our culture tends to hobble men's emotional lives - and she replied, somewhat acidly: "White boys don't get to be victims."

I still laugh at all the many assumptions built into that statement. I wish I had replied, at the time: But don't you see? That's my point! Men are oppressed by not being allowed to be victims!
I agree with you hyper. In a diversity class I took some years back, they covered white privilege and especially how upper middle class white males don't realize the inherent privilege in the system. They talked about reverse racism too and I pointed out that racism is racism, just the same as oppression is oppression; it is equal opportunity.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 AM

You can PM if you want. I don't and never did have any specific beef with you PD.... only the terminology you used that is similar to unicorn hunters. Perhaps that wasn't relevant to a discussion thread called "OPP, unicorns, and derogatory poly terminology?" I dunno, anyway, we are way off from that now. so I'm good. I should of never used what you said as an example for anything. That I apologize for.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Pregnancy concerns can be dealt with fairly reasonably. The women can go on birth control and there's always abortion if the paternity of the child isn't certain (and that matters to the father--it sort of depends on the guy). When a couple is trying to conceive, the woman can take a break from having vaginal intercourse with any man other than the wanted father. That is literally what I did, and I am now pregnant with what we know to be my husband's child.

Tags
dadt, definitions, don't ask don't tell, one penis policy, opp, terminology, unicorn, unicorn hunter, unicorn hunting, unicorns