Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Open Polyfidelity- Individuals add new partners without seeking approval, but consider the effects on existing partners.
That strikes me as one of those oxymorons that people use in an attempt to get emotional lift of some sort for identifying as something they aren't. In this case, they have some emotional attachment for identifying as polyfi, only they don't actually *do* polyfi.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.

Last edited by AutumnalTone; 08-17-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 AM

I've come across 'FWB' so many times since I've been on here and only just realised that it probably means 'friends with benefits'.....(?)

I am SO bad with acronyms and am therefore very grateful for this thread, it's really cleared some things up
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 AM

Don't feel bad, Josie, I was reading a thread a while back and assumed someone posting "FB" meant "FWB" because I was pretty sure they didn't mean "Facebook"! I forgot about "Fuck Buddy". :-P
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM

This has been very useful, thank you. Read it all, but still had a question. Forgive me if folks feel this has been previously entertained/dealt with in a satisfactory manner.

I notice that the language/implication around secondaries is tricky. Folks who have recently entered our lives have expressed concern/fear over the apparent hierarchy of our relationships. Not based on receiving any less love/affection/time but simply because my partner and I live together.

While I understand it may be difficult for people entering into a relationship with somebody in a domestic partnership to feel anything other than secondary, I was hoping there may be some alternative non-hierarchical language available that would be potentially less alienating to those unaccustomed to poly. Semantics, sure, but I think it could help our situations.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmp View Post
While I understand it may be difficult for people entering into a relationship with somebody in a domestic partnership to feel anything other than secondary, I was hoping there may be some alternative non-hierarchical language available that would be potentially less alienating to those unaccustomed to poly. Semantics, sure, but I think it could help our situations.
You can direct potential secondaries to this page for info: http://www.morethantwo.com/polyforsecondaries.html

Also, try these threads for ideas on terminology:

"central" = "primary"

is there a better word?

Primary/Secondary: Merged Threads, General Discussion / Debate

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Co-partner, Other Significant Other (OSO), Significant Other, Partners, Lovers.....

I often refer to my boyfriend as my boyfriend when talking to others, because if they don't know he's a guy-a lot will assume he's a girl since they know I'm married and bisexual.
But-within our group, he's my OSO, other significant other.

To one another, we refer back to pet names (all of us) because the other words are only needed for communicating to someone else about our dynamic-if we so choose.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Default Opp

OPP - One Penis Policy
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM

We're a MF couple new to the site and starting our search for either a HBB or unicorn. I almost died laughing not just because the cues were hilariously relevant, but because I use similar flow charts at work.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Huh. monomour. Thanks, I did not know that term. I used to be one. It sucked. Now, I'm poly too. So much beter!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 AM

Default fantastic

This is a fantastic list. It will take me a little while but, I hope to learn them well.

Tags
bi women, categorization, definitions, defintions, glossary, poly terms, unicorn, unicorn definition