Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiverMartin View Post
I was rather taken aback by a guy I fell in love with last spring, who gave amazing tender, hot, kisses -- bunches of them -- but never really allowed himself to love me in them, and broke off our relationship suddenly without satisfactory explanation.
I do the same thing - it's about NRE. I am completely and utterly insane when under the influence of NRE. I say and do really stupid things. So when the NRE is flowing, I have to put on the brakes really severely until it passes, and once it does... I take the brakes off altogether.

I've gotten pretty good at predicting how much NRE makes me insane, so this usually means that once it passes, things just keep going the same way they're going. But occasionally, I'll take off the brakes, and "the thrill is gone". Without the NRE, there's just nothing. If you don't quite understand what's going on there, or you don't have the vocabulary to explain it, you make lame excuses and explanations that aren't satisfactory to your partner.

When it's the same once the NRE passes, though... there's very definitely an emotional surge. It feels reduced to me, but my partner experiences a less-restrained emotional connection that is invariably quite an improvement.
"Everyone you meet in your life - even total strangers - is already intimately connected to you. The idea that we are all separate and distinct beings is nothing but an illusion. We are all parts of a larger whole, like individual cells in a body."
- Erin Pavlina