Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Catholic by baptism Unitarian (UK) by choice with definate Paganistic tendencies. I currently work in a church school... go figure.

Having said that I love comparitive theology
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Temporal agnostic and part-time ignostic and quite passionate about it.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM

I identify as Christian; was raised in Northern Utah and Southern Idaho and yes from 16 - 23 a Mormon. My family is Mormon, Catholic, Jewish, Christian, and Agnostic. I find being a Christian Minister in a church with a diversity of beliefs to be refreshing and a place where anyone can share their beliefs and not be turned away.

Thea identifies as Christian, Cathy as Christian with a strong Catholic background, Carole as Christian with a strong connection to shamanism and Jamie as Christian with a strong connection with the earth and those traditions that focus on taking care of the earth.

What we all have in common is a belief that we are all children of a loving God, by whatever name we may attach to the Divine, and that what we hold deeply is the Christian belief that Christ said the greatest law was to love God and the second was to love our neighbor as ourself. It is all about love and being honest and respectful of each others beliefs.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Smile

I am a currently Practicing Mormon, who is taking the first steps in dabbling in polyamory. (if they can believe in polygamy why not polyamory?? is my take on it...)

I am trying to create a balancing act between my faith and my lifestyle, but one or the other may actually give way to the other. Or I may be able to live both openly and honestly. We shall see....time will tell.

I am doing much pondering and soul searching. I do not have much to say on the subject other than that, my spirituality like most peoples is deeply personal
Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Default A very interesting read

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
I don't believe that the modern day Christian Church has much of anything straight.
This is a fascinating thread to read! I agree in principle with the sentiment above, but I have to point out that there's so much diversity within Christianity that it's really hard to say anything at all about "the" Christian church. There's a group base out west that calls itself "liberated" Christians, and they're open to alternate sexualities. There are also quite a few "liberal" Christian denominations that are tolerant and accepting; I think the idea is to promote "responsible" sexuality rather than condemning alternative sexualities. Plenty of people have been hurt by various expressions of religion, but I think it's better to recognize that there's a broad spectrum of thought, and even within one religion (Christianity, for example) there isn't really one set of rules.

That said, I identify as Christian, but not as dogmatic or exclusive. I don't think we can really know very much about God, but I see God as love.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 PM

Thumbs up interesting comments

Fried Pie,

I live and went to seminary among many of those who identify as progressive Christians; I went to Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley. I was blessed to be able to be out as a lesbian and as living in a polyamorous relationship and not be condemned.

It is very true that there really is no specific "Christian" church. Even within denominations the beliefs vary greatly. There may be commonalities, but not what I would consider a "unity of the faith." I find that it is not necessary for my congregation to believe what I believe, we gather as a community of faith. A faith that is basically centered on Christ as Savior, but there are many roads that have gotten each of us to that point.

Thank you for the comments, I enjoy the discussion.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 AM

Christianity is pretty diverse. I believe I read that in 2001, there were over 30,000 denominations. So it seems like there there are many options open for Christians to find the denomination they fit in. (If they want to be part of a larger group that is.)
Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
Libertarian / Humanist
&
Yes a Atheist

(dare I say the name) - still apparently a dirty word perhaps even for this forum.
Hey Mez,

Nawwww - not a dirty word here.
Difference being that I think you'll find here that a majority have a much better grasp on the distinction between 'religion' and 'spirituality.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 PM

I'm a Christian. Raised Baptist. I don't currently attend a church of any kind regularly. I've become disillusioned with organized religion for the most part. I've found that what is taught (and I've done my fair share of the teaching) isn't necessarily what the bible is saying. I find translations by man and what they "want" the bible to say is really what is passed as truth.

I now usually attend a Unitarian Universalist church. They are very diversified in the beliefs the congregation as individuals holds.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am always interested in how others see religion in their lives. Our spiritual lives are impacted not only by what we carry with us from our youth but also by what is currently transpiring. And your are very correct when you say what is taught in my faith traditions is not necessarily what the Bible really says.

Again, I appreciate your sharing and God bless you in your continued spiritual walk.