Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Location: :P Cautiously looking around this new world that seems to fit...
Cool

LOL Karma - ur mix sounds divine :P

I identify largely as wiccan with a pantheistic view essentially I believe that every living thing is connected... and that every inanimate object can be connected... it's just up to us to be open enough to resonate with the beings around us

Engaged to my sweetheart, WaterWolf

my blog (non-poly) Pearls & Pixiedust

Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 AM

Talking

We are both

Christians
Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 AM

Default Mainstream Religion

To the guy in Southwest Mo: The first thing you need to do is realize that Christianity in the Main was instituted to control people. It is supposed to be a religion of Love and Peace yet has spent the past 2000 years spreading hate and war.

Find God for yourself. The divine spark will show you how if you stop trying to follow convention. Start with Religions that don't tell you it's wrong to love more than one person, a person of the same sex, etc.

Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 AM

I'm an atheist
Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 PM

I identify myself as Christopagan or a Christian Mystic. I was raised in a non-denominational Christian church during the charismatic movement. I am a Christian first but practice less of what we'd consider "traditional" Christianity. I've recently started getting involved with the local UU church. I left my current church after my pastor retired and passed away to cancer. His replacement is a money grubber who spent months showing us televangelists on the big screen in the chapel asking us to tithe more.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 AM

I can relate to Mystic Christianity, Brigid. I see early gnostic Christianity as a continuation of myths from "pagan" Greek, Babylonian and Egyptian religions' archetypes. (Judaism grew out of Persian, Babylonian and Egyptian religions, after all. Christianity was born out of a further uneasy phase of syncretism with Greek culture's religious memes.) I took the screenname Magdlyn after Mary Magdalene, who I see as the Christ's liaison between being brought to flesh for the healing/feeding of the world, and his return to the uncreated Great Parent matrix god. This originator is known as "Father" in the canonical Bible. Yahweh is called Ialdabaoth by 4th century gnostics, who saw him as a lesser god who actually formed our physical earth, albeit in an imperfect union with Sophia (who manifests as both Marys in Christian writings).

I prefer Paul's authentic epistles in the canonical Bible, as they present the more spiritual and psychological Christ, instead of the synoptic Gospels, which transform it into a more literal being. John, however, is again more mystic. Then you see reactionary literalist hierarchical Gospels like 2 Peter and Jude. And so it goes...
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabillyguy View Post
To the guy in Southwest Mo: The first thing you need to do is realize that Christianity in the Main was instituted to control people. It is supposed to be a religion of Love and Peace yet has spent the past 2000 years spreading hate and war.

Find God for yourself. The divine spark will show you how if you stop trying to follow convention. Start with Religions that don't tell you it's wrong to love more than one person, a person of the same sex, etc.

Good Luck!

Hi

I belong to an American Baptist church. They are the more liberal minded branch and some locations even have a gay social group in them. I say that if religion fills a void in a persons life than go for it. However, I think religion has been used by many as a tool of control and hate far to long. I feel it should be used to teach love not hate. Just my two cents worth.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Default 2 Pence -

I'm an anthropologist by choice, education, training and trade. With this background, I discovered very early that religions borrow significantly and liberally from each other. Historically, there are no hard and fast rules in any religion. They all change beliefs and canons as often as they change their political, social, geographic, human and commodity-based resource interests.

Religions exist for the specific purpose of exclusion by 'divine' decree. Once a group is excluded, either as 'outsiders' or 'non-believers', they become the socially-, politically-, economically- and religiously-sanctioned targets of discrimination, theft and murder. Oddly enough, I have moral and ethical issues with discrimination, theft and murder ...

I admire people of faith: those who live by the highest tenants of religious and humanist philosophy and behavior, however they choose to express it or celebrate it.

Personally, I prefer an all-inclusive philosophy that is self-actualized, politically agnostic, scientifically sound on a quantum level and declines to barter for souls it already owns: I'm Taoist.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM

I have always associated myself as a christian that view has changed slightly over the years cause just in general I don't agree with everything the bible teaches.
but I have come to associate myself as a liberal christian....I attend a unity church here in my home town and plan on continuing going one when I go to st.louis for school too.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
I admire people of faith: those who live by the highest tenants of religious and humanist philosophy and behavior, however they choose to express it or celebrate it.
I am curious as to what you mean by this. Do you mean you admire people who have faith in a humanist religion?

The reason I ask this is because I heard someone recently talk about the virtue of belief and faith. However, Fred Phelps (of the God Hates Fags fame) has a lot of belief and faith, yet most people would not consider him a good person. So I started to wonder about why people see value in belief or faith itself.