Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 AM

Default Religious Survey Response

I live as a practicing Christian Scientist. Without going into a lengthy dissertation on religious philosophy, it is impossible to define what that means in a reasonable number of words to those unfamiliar with the concept. For the purpose of only answering the question in this forum - to me human love must reflect the characteristics of God's Love. God's Love, being infinite in nature, so must human love reflect those unlimited characteristics. Some within my faith will find my logic flawed and insist along with traditionalists that somewhere marriage is defined by God, but I insist that marriage itself is but a human concept explained and defined by possibly spiritually inspired, but also flawed humans. In the human realm, there is the real and perfect man that we sometimes recognize as God's creation, and there is the "old man" which we constantly strive to put off. This "old man" (false man) is the source of flawed thinking. As long as we are still in the human realm, there will appear well meaning but flawed thinking, along with real and right thinking, side by side. As humans, we must sort the wrong from the right if we would be happy and successful.

To me it has all recently opened up and become clear. I tend to agree with those who cannot find any specific scriptural insistence on monogamy, and I believe it is not there because of the reflective quality of man (woman) to God defined above. Man (woman) exists because we are His (God's) expression. That is simply what we are (spiritually and absolutely) by nature, whether we know or admit it or not. That expression is the complete manifestation of Love, and therefore contains no limited characteristics. We all have enough love for everyone. Love is not a finite measurable or limited thing.

I could say a lot more, but it would be misunderstood, like possibly what I already have written may be.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I guess I would 'define' myself as an agnostic atheist..I was brought up Christian but by hte time I hit 21,I was so sick of having 'religion' rammed down my throat that I simply withdrew,and that is still how I feel today.
My occupation has taught me to be evidence based and that is how I work most of my life,I have a very analytical brain and I need to see 'physical' evidence in order to both believe and apply the theory.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM

I'm pagan (mix of norse and wiccan)
M - Norse Pagan
J - "Not much of anything really"

Discovered paganism when I was 14, had been Roman Catholic until the point that I made the horrible mistake of asking why did God have to be a man - that didn't go over so well. Disowned by my grandmother who told me that if she couldn't see me in heaven that she wasn't going to waste her time with me while she was alive. My other grandmother stated quite matter of factly "I don't give a damn what any of my grandchildren do just so long as you're all happy". I have very religious in-laws (born agains) who love to send me tidbits of "guidance" which I delete as quickly as they enter my inbox. In the end it's the hypocracy that I can't stand. "I Love everyone! But not you, you, you, or you." I have my path, I'll follow mine and I'll let eveyone else follow theirs and everyone can and should be happy! The only reason poly is my big secret is because I really don't want to hear the sermons and lectures that I know will be coming my way if my parents find out. My sister and her S/O know and that's about it. If M's family found out - /shudders I don't even want to think about it.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 AM

It's something how we "name" or attach labels to a belief. We so often want to belong to a group even if we don't truly practice as that group does. Aren't we all a part of the same group--human beings? I was raised very strict christian but realize now that our man made explanations of a "god" usually fall short, as mine do also I guess I usually just use the term "spiritual" and Being, and love the threads of truth I find from many different beliefs and usually discard the parts that are man-made or egoic in structure. If we all truly belong to only one group then as far as I'm concerned, ya'll belong to me
Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm Athiest

Started Baptist, Went Pagan, now here.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensAngst View Post
I'm pagan (mix of norse and wiccan)
M - Norse Pagan
J - "Not much of anything really"

Discovered paganism when I was 14, had been Roman Catholic until the point that I made the horrible mistake of asking why did God have to be a man - that didn't go over so well.
haha Catholicism is sooo pagan! And theyve got a goddess, tho they won't admit it.

Quote:
Disowned by my grandmother who told me that if she couldn't see me in heaven that she wasn't going to waste her time with me while she was alive.
Thats harsh, not to mention unbiblical.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Faith vs lifestyle

Hello everyone....I'm new to the forum. I think we should all remember that many of the Pagan/Wiccan community is more open and sexually comfortable and that is why you will see more. I am a 5th generation Wiccan and found poly to come very easy when it finally got a name. There are many alternative living styles out there. Those that I've looked at have for the most part been very compatible with all the others.

Silver
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 AM

I suppose I would define myself as atheist....but still open to any belief in a omnipresent being?
I have yet to find any evidence, but I still search...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM

I and Andulvar are Norse Pagan but the majority of our lovers are undecided :/. However, we do rituals together, which is a lot of fun.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
I and Andulvar are Norse Pagan but the majority of our lovers are undecided :/.
I'm pagan/wiccan, honey. <3

Company is my husband. I'm dating Selene, Ariel, Vegeta, Thunder, and Andulvar.