Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 PM

I am a cradle Catholic who is entering the Episcopal Church. My wife is a second-generation Unitarian Universalist. My husband is another cradle Catholic who now practices Buddhism. We are raising the kids in an inclusive home.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 AM

I was raised in a very conservative Christian church, Church of Christ. I still love God and believe in the Holy Trinity, but I don't buy into the interpretations of the Bible fed to me by a mere man. I don't think we can every truly understand God and what He stands for. I do know this, according to the Bible, God is love. If God is love, then how can He be against love of any kind? If I choose to have more than one relationship that is full of love, then I believe it glorifies God just the same.

I still read my Bible and talk about God with other Christians, so I think that would put me in the "actively practicing" group and I don't believe being poly is a sin.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:17 PM

I'm an atheist and logical empiricist. Objective, consensual reality is what we can all measure in some way, and what all competent observers agree on. It's the real world outside our minds.

I accept that things like beauty, good and evil, and love do exist; it's just that they are subjective, interior constructs and not objective realities. I'm responsible for maintaining my subjective reality in good order -- ie, understanding how to do good and oppose evil, how to create and appreciate beauty, etc -- and no one else has the right to impose their subjective reality on mine.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Inactive

Default Poly and Spirituality

I believe that poly people are as diverse as monogamous people when it comes to spirituality. Over time, I sense, there will be less and less emphasis upon "groups" of beliefs and more upon individual beliefs as we are all so diverse and bring different experiences to the moment

Peace,
Chris
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm a spiritual mutt. I don't fit into a category or label. There really aren't any words for it. To me everything is spiritual, I *am* Source. So is everyone else.

Ari
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

We are both pagan (the hubby and I). I am a shaman/medicine woman, and he says he is just plain pagan.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Default unlikely

they are the majority, no doubt. But I am a Messianic Jew and my lifemate is a Druidess.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appolyon View Post
they are the majority, no doubt. But I am a Messianic Jew and my lifemate is a Druidess.
I bet that leads to some interesting dinnertime discussions.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 AM

very true my friend.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Default Religious Survey

Interesting reading. I had to go back to the original question before answering: "Someone recently said to me that he thought all poly people were pagans or athiests."

Most of the pagans I've met are monogamous. I have only started meeting anyone referring to themselves as poly, & that's from frequenting specific sites. My spiritual beliefs play a part in my choice of how I want to live right now but being true to myself & a need for self awareness, innate needs, are what leads me to explore polyamory. Not religion.

I was raised Catholic & felt, at an early age, that there were too many contradictions in what I was being taught. That shame & fear of eternal damnation was a way to control people. As a teen, I labelled myself as agnostic rather than atheist because I knew there was something more. At 27, I met Wiccans, Druids, New Agers, Buddhists, & learned about Aboriginal cultures & Taoism. I'm not one to join groups so I became a solitaire & labelled myself as Pagan with an interest in Taoism, sometimes referring to myself as a Paganistic Taoist.

I'm exploring living as a non-monogamous individual & I find that I'm able to spread my ability to love, & be loyal & fair as comfortably as when I was monogamous. It isn't religion doing that. It's my innate nature that is being drawn out by those I am attracting into my life. I am fulfilling a need right now.