Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Religious survey

Someone recently said to me that he thought all poly people were pagans or athiests.

Is he right?

Personally, I am neither pagan nor atheist. My origins are in Christianity, but I am now more of a Buddhist/New Age/Philosopher. My wife also grew up as a Christian, and flirted with paganism & wicca before settling into a kind of New Age thing.

What about you?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm Roman Catholic...not practicing but oddly protective of an establishment that I don't participate in. Definitely Christian but accepting of many views and dabble in other beliefs. I'm not poly but I think it stands to reason that people with different approaches to loving and bonding would not embrace traditionally monogamous systems of religion.

I think most of the people in my local poly community are either pagan/atheist or just non-religeous. As a sidenote, a lot are also techy, rpg game players as well.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 12-09-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the pagan/atheist part, but I would suspect that many/most poly folk are not actively Christian. A practicing Christian would, by definition, be against poly in any form as a sin against God and man.

Personally I grew up Catholic/Baptist (yeah, I know) but I don't really believe in the Christian God/Trinity. I am not entirely sure I believe in any god or gods for that matter. I think there are things out there that are "more" than we are as humans ... but whether or not it's something divine is open to interpretation, I think.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisare View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the pagan/atheist part, but I would suspect that many/most poly folk are not actively Christian. A practicing Christian would, by definition, be against poly in any form as a sin against God and man.
I guess that depends on how you define "actively/practising Christian", if you're defining it as church-going Christians, I'd be inclined to agree... but most of the poly folk that I've known that identified as Christian weren't the conventional church-going type.

I do think that it's probably more typical to find poly folk who are pagan or atheist... but I wouldn't say that all are.

Personally, I identify as a spiritual agnostic with a history with Christianity.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

I was baptized Catholic and have a very Catholic extended family, but my immediate family is mostly agnostic or atheist. I am a Unitarian Universalist and very active in the UU church. My personal theology would best be described as an atheistic agnostic. And I define the word agnostic not as being unsure about whether there is a god, but as the belief that humans cannot fully comprehend the ultimate nature of reality.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I guess that depends on how you define "actively/practising Christian", if you're defining it as church-going Christians, I'd be inclined to agree
Well yes .. because if you're a practicing Christian, the Bible says you must gather in fellowship. So isn't an actively practicing Christian one who goes to a church by definition?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

However, the Christian bible technically doesn't restrict polyamorous relationships either, which is why there are some sects of Christianity that still practice it. And different Christians have different definitions for fellowship, which aren't always synonymous with church.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
However, the Christian bible technically doesn't restrict polyamorous relationships either, which is why there are some sects of Christianity that still practice it. And different Christians have different definitions for fellowship, which aren't always synonymous with church.
True and true.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisare View Post
Well yes .. because if you're a practicing Christian, the Bible says you must gather in fellowship. So isn't an actively practicing Christian one who goes to a church by definition?
But what does "gathering in fellowship" mean? Does "gathering in fellowship" necessarily imply that you have to go down to your local white building with a steeple and sit in pews and sing some songs and listen to some guy talk for an hour? I don't think it necessarily does. "Gathering in fellowship" is a lot more fluid than that. It could include just sitting down once a week and gathering with similar believing people in your living room and having a discussion and a check-in about life... or inviting people over to have a meal.

I know a lot of Christians (poly and not...) who don't do institutionalized church anymore because they feel that what their local churches are teaching isn't Christian.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Was raised roman catholic....

Now I am a scientist and I approach everything under this umbrella.

I don't Identify with paganism, etc. Or atheism.

I think I am spiritual agnostic.