Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 PM

lol, i apologize for the confusion... i have been posting at varrious states of mind ranging between pissed off, drowzy, hyped up on caffeen, and just plain mellow. plus ive been trying to pay attention to several different threds. i got a little confused.

was just curious y someone would say they wernt in a lifestyel when in essance of the word Everybody is in a lifestyle of some shape or form. i just didnt realize the implication of the word on a poly forum. i apologize. i now see that it us usually a generalization about swingers and obviously poly's take offence to being put in the same catagory as swingers.

thank you for enlightening me to this unique cultural view on the word now... who wants pie?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 PM

has nothing to do with being compares to swingers. You are focussing to deeply on the split between the two and creating a difference based on swingers vs poly.

There can in fact be a poly lifestyle. Why not, some people live why they want. For most of poly is simply just a way to be. I can love more than one. It has no impact on my day to day life. If I was monogamous my life would be exactly the same...

minus being in love with another person.

THATS the difference. Lifestyle implies a .. temporariness, or.. lack of importance.. Poly isn't a "lifestyle"...

No one says "thats a monogamous lifestyle".. people would look at ya funny. Poly is the same way.. period. Not swinger vs poly.. not poly vs mono.. nothing.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingers View Post
thank you for enlightening me to this unique cultural view on the word now... who wants pie?
Apple crumble please...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM

I dunno, some poly people don't want to be associated with being "in the lifestyle" because they fear being thought of as swingers. Some aren't all that worried or haven't thought if it. When people speak to each other in code by saying they are "in the lifestyle" it means swinging. It means sex and not love. I can see some poly people objecting to that.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
now... who wants pie?
I do! I do! What kind ya got?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 AM

sweet cherry with apple crumb crust
Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 AM

I'm holding out for the pecan
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitapparent View Post
I'm holding out for the pecan
Oh yaaaah, my favorite!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
sweet cherry with apple crumb crust
Oh, cherry was what I was secretly craving.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 06-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
i am only meaning to say that a lifestyle is how you live your life.
And a personal lifestyle is not a shared "Lifestyle." Polyamory is part of my personal lifestyle, yet there is no "polyamory lifestyle" that I share with anybody else on these boards. Please reread the thread and you'll find a good explanation of the differences between a personal lifestyle and a shared "Lifestyle."

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.

Tags
attachment, commitment, definitions, descriptions, lifestyle, poly, sex, swinging