Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Three-parent children, literally

http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2008...lling-jerry-s/

This is an old article, but I hadn't heard of it before -- apparently science has made some strides toward three-parent embryos, for health reasons (if something's wrong with one person's mitochondria), though the reality of a three-parent child is a long way off.

How fascinating! I thought about posting this in the media section, but I'm more interested in the idea than in the representation of the existence of poly folk (that said, I do think it's cool that the concept of poly was presented pretty much without bias... though who knew "trinogamous" was a word???).

Oh man, a child with literally three parents... what a dream, potentially, for triads or even vees with particularly strong metamour relationships...

But I suppose the idea is a bit selfish, since the child would have to deal with being different... then again, we're all "different" for one reason or another...
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM

One potential problem with this idea is that if the triad or vee breaks up, the child could well end up estranged from one parent. This can happen when couples split up, of course, but, at least anecdotally, it seem like poly configured relationships are harder to keep stable in the long-term versus the traditional mono pairing. So it would seem like the chance for the child to lose a relationship with a parent could be higher.

Then again, this would potentially be an argument against poly co-parenting too, and I'm certainly in favor of that in the right situations. But is it more damaging for a child to be estranged from a biological parent versus an adoptive parent?

Of course, this is wildly speculative... still, I find it interesting to think about.

I suppose some MFM triads or vees might already do a similar thing... they could just have each of the males have unprotected sex with the woman on a regular basis, then not test for paternity...
Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post

I suppose some MFM triads or vees might already do a similar thing... they could just have each of the males have unprotected sex with the woman on a regular basis, then not test for paternity...
New thread with just that condition happening.

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15960
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
New thread with just that condition happening.

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15960
It looks like MM said "they" were going to have a baby, but didn't explain further. I wouldn't take it as a given necessarily that they don't know the paternity of the child and don't plan to find out... the phrasing is open to interpretation.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 AM

Just sayin
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 PM

We are indeed having a baby the three of us, paternity unknown. Our structure is that they are best friends and they are both with me, sometimes at the same time sometimes apart. I had been dreaming over the last few months during our conscious conception about conceiving twins. One dream was specific about twins under Gemini, which is now when I am due! So the thin about twins and being in a poly relationship is that it is possible for me to have released to eggs and have one child from each father. I'm measuring large for dates already so I'm wondering about my dream...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM

How exciting!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 PM

Great article, never heard of this method before. Thanks for sharing.

And yes it's kind of exciting, some thoughts on that topic already crossed my mind because of our recent situation. Not for the near future of course but one tends to ponder about stuff But I don't think that this will be available as long as I am all in for kids.

But this chance is great for all the folks that suffers from the diseases they mentioned. Lin's condition is caused by this as well and the possiblity to prevent it in the future sounds too good to be true.

My Blog
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM

moonmama,

what about the birth certificate and the legal aspects of this...what happens if things fall apart? ..child support and all that.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
moonmama,

what about the birth certificate and the legal aspects of this...what happens if things fall apart? ..child support and all that.
That's when you really find out how 'true' people were about the three-way parenting.

If Relationships end, and money gets tight,.... then you can bet your buns, baby-daddy talks will start then.

As for the BC I think you are allowed to leave the 'father' side unanswered in many places.

Tags
children