Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Default Old lady perfume smell...

Over the past few months I've had a few meetings with my estranged wife and I noticed on the second meeting that she smelled ...... like an old lady. Typically in the past she wore rather expensive perfume ....it seemed expensive to me anyway.....you could only purchase it at big department stores Nordstroms, Macy's, or special boutiques.

I'm wondering why?

She's has put on a lot of weight since her departure ...and continues.... each time seems bigger ...also she is on several different medications that I know of which may screw with her body chemistry. But wouldn't she notice that ?

Or am I so turned off by her now that my brain just dumped her into that old lady class. She looks and smells like my 3rd grade teacher....minus the hair style.

Or is it a combination of both?

Just just thought that old ladies smelled basically the same because the rarely go out and they're still using the stuff someone gave them 15yrs ago ....and it turned and because they've loss their sense of smell they didn't know it turned ....less to do with their personal body chemistry.

I guess there is one other option ....she selected it ....where all the Red Hats shop.

Just curious
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Custodian

Maybe she has dry skin and is using Bag Balm. That stuff reminds me of the "old lady smell" you speak of.

8-Hydroxy Quinoline Sulfate 0.3% in a Petrolatum, Lanolin Base

Maybe she isn't washing her lady bits. That could also do it.

You'll have to be more specific about what this "old lady smell" is.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post

Or is it a combination of both?

Just curious
I say a combination of everything. Right or wrong, she has lost everything, and meds and stress will make a body cling to weight. She probably isn`t eating right, and that could affect her body chemistry with even the same perfume.

As for what you notice,..... you still notice things about her, but they are no longer the pleasant things. She still interests you, but not in a positive way.

It`s habit that makes you evaluate.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Bag Balm ...isn't that the stuff that comes in a green can thats used on cow udders? What are you some kind savant that you know the formulation of bag balm....or do you just got a can in front of you?

I don't think its hygiene issue because its not offensive or bad in that sense....but thank you for planting that thought in my head now.

You mean you have never been to a family reunion or a funeral and had to swing by the table of old ladies.... 5-6 ...they all came together ...only 1 still drives ... she gets the privilege to cart the others around during daylight hour only.....That smell/.... Or next time you're at the mall and you see 15-20 red hat shuffling along take a deep breath. ...I bet you can be 13 yards away and still get a blast.... That smell.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM

A lot of medications cause weight gain, especially anti-depressants. It's possible that they also altered her body chemistry and that has now changed how fragrance smells on her. She could probably still be using the same perfume, but it is now mingling with a different chemistry, which is the major factor in how a fragrance smells on someone, anyway.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Sourgirl,

Do you remember several years ago Jerry Lewis was doing his annual telethon and because of some medical issue he had at the time his head looked like it was going to explode.....really hard not to notice ...right. I mentioned the weight as a possible explanation for the change in the fragrance.

I noticed the perfume because it was an assault on my sense of smell....and it seemed way off.... I haven't seen my sister since my mom's funeral but if she were to walk in my office today and give me a hug I'm sure the perfume she wears and can't afford would be very familiar to me....as being linked with her.

I'd say she lost one kid and maybe ...maybe the second....no one can really pin point where he is in this. As for me and the marriage she rejected that...so no loss there....and now she has the complete freedom to build whatever life she wants.....lost a kid or 2 gained complete and ultimate freedom. Casey Anthony had to kill her kid to get that freedom.

Not eating right ....or eating everything. If I take her out for a meal she only wants to go buffets .....that's just a mean joke...we've only met at Starbucks for coffee.

My interest is much less than you may think.

I still want to know how neon knows the chemical make up of Bag Balm...Are you a dairy farmer ? ...a milkmaid perhaps?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Custodian

Quote:

I still want to know how neon knows the chemical make up of Bag Balm...Are you a dairy farmer ? ...a milkmaid perhaps?
No. I can read simple sentences and type things into Google.

Most people think one must be extremely intelligent to do things like that, from what I've seen on this forum.

My IQ is 144, after all.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Neon,

I didn't mean to insult you...I just got the impression your knowledge was more experience or use based. Without looking it up do you know what the individual ingredients that you listed smell like a lone? Does it change when mixed? ... I don't know what bag balm smells like ....or 8-Hydroxy Quinowhatever 0.3%,....or straight lanolin for that matter.

144...very impressive. Does that get you a shot at a Mensa membership card?....I bet their secret handshake is really complicated and hard....
In private does Stephens hawking synthetic voice have that slight British accent similar to the one used in ATM's. Can he change it to sound like Barry White if he was in the mood?. ...wink.. wink. And as long as were on the topic whats he smell like??
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Neon,

I didn't mean to insult you...I just got the impression your knowledge was more experience or use based. Without looking it up do you know what the individual ingredients that you listed smell like a lone? Does it change when mixed? ... I don't know what bag balm smells like ....or 8-Hydroxy Quinowhatever 0.3%,....or straight lanolin for that matter.
You didn't insult me; however people often remark about how "smart" i am because I have the amazing ability to repeat what I have read written in books, and/or to take something i learned yesterday and apply that knowledge to the exact same situation today.

Quote:

144...very impressive.
\

See above. That score is about 30 years old so with all the stupidity I've been exposed to since then, I would imagine some of it has rubbed off on me.

Quote:
Does that get you a shot at a Mensa membership card?....I bet their secret handshake is really complicated and hard....
I didn't even know what Mensa is until a few months ago. Thank Google.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Sourgirl,

I'd say she lost one kid and maybe ...maybe the second....no one can really pin point where he is in this. As for me and the marriage she rejected that...so no loss there....and now she has the complete freedom to build whatever life she wants.....lost a kid or 2 gained complete and ultimate freedom. Casey Anthony had to kill her kid to get that freedom.
Curious, with a foggy memory : Did she outright reject the marriage, or did her dumb & thoughtless actions cause her to lose the marriage ?

Quote:
Not eating right ....or eating everything. If I take her out for a meal she only wants to go buffets .....that's just a mean joke...we've only met at Starbucks for coffee.
'Not eating right' covers all aspects. However you do not have to eat a lot, to gain weight when your body is under stress. Even self-inflicted.

Quote:
My interest is much less than you may think.
I disagree. In the sense that I was not saying you HAD a certain amount of interest in her. I was looking at the fact that you started a thread asking questions about her. It`s a mild interest, but not a positive one. You look at her and see negative.
It kinda goes with the territory for anyone with a ex.

Quote:
I know the chemical make-up of Hibitaine ( same shit, different pile, as bag balm.)..but thats part of my semi-useless online information knowledge.