Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Default My girlfriend's a unicorn!

Hi everyone. So, the title says it all really. My wonderful girlfriend has a loving relationship with another couple.

I'd love to hear some perspectives or anecdotes on this topic. Be it from someone in my position or from the unicorn's position or from the other couples position.

I fully support her and have gotten over the inevitable jealousy, well mostly
I would also like some advice about becoming closer with the couple myself. I know this may not be feasible but it is something i'd like.

Thank you and peace and love to you all.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Welcome to the board.

Try doing a tag search on "unicorn" here. Or "triad."
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome

I took your advice and read through almost everything tagged "unicorn" but didn't find much from anyone in my situation. I'm new to the poly lifestyle and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM

OK. So you have read others' stories about being either a couple with a single bi female unicorn, or being the unicorn oneself.

You want advice about being the partner of a woman who is involved with a couple. You want to get closer to them. What does this mean?

I think we'd need more information. How long has your gf been with her couple? How involved is she (are all 3 deeply in love or is it early NRE days)? Does she see them regularly? How long have you and gf been together? Is this both of your first foray into being poly? Have you socialized with her couple at all yet? Or not even talked to them yet?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 09-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Custodian

A Unicorn has to be in a CLOSED (polyfidelitous) triad with the pre-existing couple. Your girlfriend is not a unicorn by definition.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 PM

I agree with NeonKaos; an actual unicorn would be someone who only dates that particular couple, no one else. I also date a couple, but I'm married to a man I love, therefore, I'm not a unicorn. I just happen to date two people who happen to be married to each other. Thus, I am not good for advice from a "unicorn's" perspective, but if you're curious about anything relating to a woman, dating a married couple, I'll be happy to oblige. What do you specifically want to know?

Last edited by lemniscate; 09-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Tags
unicorn