Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM

Something big happened today! I finally told my dad and his wife about rory. So basically came out of the bi and poly closets at the same time. I've been so worried about especially my dad's reaction that I've been creating this wall between us when I haven't been able to talk about this big thing in my life. So I did it. And it went well, way better than I expected! They didn't seem shocked at all. I got a good opportunity to say it, too. We were visiting my grandmother and she knows about my divorce. She asked if I have someone new already. She's old and very judgemental (she commented negatively on my piercings and vegetarianism and also asked whether my roommates are black, or to be frank she actually used the n-word). So when she asked, I tried not to answer the question at all and changed the subject. When me, my dad and his wife got in to the car, we talked about how rude she can be sometimes and I mentioned that they proably noticed me having a hard time with the someone new question and they admitted they'd noticed. That's when I started: "Actually, I do have someone. I have a girlfriend." Dad's wife: "That's fine, there's nothing wrong with that." Dad: "We're not as old-fashioned as your grandmother, you can tell us things like that." Then they asked a few questions about rory and I answered. Then I continued: "And actually that's not all. You know I'm kind of a hippie? I've extended it to my love life as well. We're in an open relationship, and me and JJ had that as well. I was with them both at the same time and she has a husband, too. We all know about each other, are fine with it and even spend time together frequently." I don't remember exactly what they said to that, but something positive as well, like it's my life and whatever makes me happy. At one point my dad's wife said: "All this doesn't change who you are inside and how much we care about you."

I am sooo relieved and happy!! It's been such a burdain and now it's finally lifted and it went that well! I can't believe it. I feel like I'm dreaming.

Happy. <3
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Yay, so happy for you! It's such a relief to be the person you truly are with the people you love. I'm so glad it went well

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy), and his 9-year-old son Kiddo
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Wooo-hoooo !!!!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 AM

Wonderful news!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Great news, Mya. Indeed, secrecy is a burden and it feels great when you are accepted, especially if it is family we are talking about, from my point of view. Happy for you

My Blog
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. It feels good to share something like this with people who understand what it means.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 PM

I told my parents about my life and loves recently and I have felt so light, so liberated ever since. I'm not very close with my parents but it was like keeping this a secret from them, was the last dark and ugly cloud that hung over my life, the life I want to live in openness and honesty.

So, congrats! I know how good it feels!

There are as many forms of love as there are moments in time. Jane Austen
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 AM

Nothing like a crazy racist grandmother to bring the rest of a family together in openness and harmony
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 AM

^That is an excellent life attitude.

I also came out to my biological mother just recently. She's been single for years, and just started dating a friend of hers. She mentioned something about her ex being kind of jealous, and then her view that she doesn't really think about other people in that way, and wouldn't do anything when she's in a relationship. I commented on that "I just do stuff with a permission". She took that so normally ("that's cool, I've never happened to be with a guy who would be fine with that, though"), so I continued that, actually, I'd like to let her know I have a girlfriend. She took that news really well, too. I told her a little about Mya. I like how she seemed to immediately get the idea, since she said "it's wonderful to have one person one's in love with, even better that you actually have two".

We have only had a relationship for the last few years, and she's been kind somewhere between relative/friend to me. The way she took this news definitely brought her closer to friend in my mind (which is a good thing - chosen family and all that).
Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Cleo: Thanks! I feel the same way. I also feel like this was the last thing that was on the way for me to be free somehow.

MeeraReed: Haha! That's right, the grandmother's comments put everything else in perspective.

Tags
bisexual, boundaries, communication, foundations, ldr, long distance, nre