Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Custodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
*snicker*
*milky way*
Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 AM

Hey Adam, you've been outed. Go find somewhere else to conduct your little sociological experiments.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Hey Adam, you've been outed. Go find somewhere else to conduct your little sociological experiments.
I don't know ... I'm holding out for a nice piece of cheese! *chitter*
Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
LOL kittehs
I like kittehs. Mine got into a fight with a cat trying to get into our basement. She apparently stood guard at the window with the screen popped half way out making sure nothing got in most of the night. Was rather cute. I love my cat. I have a life long commitment to that animal.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicWolf View Post
I like kittehs. Mine got into a fight with a cat trying to get into our basement. She apparently stood guard at the window with the screen popped half way out making sure nothing got in most of the night. Was rather cute. I love my cat. I have a life long commitment to that animal.
She woke me up at 3:30 this morning, but made up for it by cuddling with me after you fixed the screen. And she is rather cute, even if she decided to love you more than me.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Custodian

Quote:
I order cheezburgr an hour ago.

Where iz da cheezburgr?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigidsDaughter View Post
In all of the arguing and confusing refusal of Serial to accept what polyamory really is, I keep reading him talking about polygamy as a back up for his idea that serial monogamy is poly. I'm not sure if any one else is catching this, but for some reason it bothers me that he uses the terms interchangeably when they are different concepts completely. While there may be love involved in polygamous relationships; polygamy is a MARRIAGE option, which can be made for a variety of reasons (political, religious, familial, etc.) besides wanting to have multiple loving relationships at one time. Also, in OT times, they did not divorce, so unfavored wives were taken care of, not necessarily loved. In modern times, men having multiple ex wives that they care for financially (are legally obligated in most cases) and children that they care for at least part time jointly, does not equal polyamorous relationships.
Using terms interchangeably implies they mean the exact same thing. Terms mean exactly what they mean, but what they represent sometimes overlaps. Polygamy does indeed refer to marriage (although monogamy isn't typically used to refer only to marriage despite the "gamy"). Polygamy has normative connotations of being primitive, muslim, or mormon, among other things, but those are just ethnicist examples, imo.

Polyamory is inherently about marriage insofar as it is about love, imo. What I mean by that is that people who truly love each other are united in a special way regardless of the legal status of their relationship. Just because the law won't allow people to marry more than one person doesn't mean they aren't committed to them at a marriage-level, right? This doesn't mean that all polyamorous relationships are or must involve marriage-level commitment. Thus I wouldn't use polyamory and polygamy interchangeably. My main issue is that relationships aren't always cleanly contained and aspects of them may overlap in people's lives and this is often the case in serial monogamy as well as polyamory. I'm really not trying to offend anyone. I'm just trying to address the wider reality of relationships despite the labels used to classify them as one thing or another.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Experiments like posting my thoughts on a discussion forum and listening to what people think?

Anyone care to explain in clear language why I'm being harassed and outed? Is there something you think I'm up to that I'm not saying? I've heard that people think I'm intentionally trolling? Wouldn't that involve intentionally soliciting controversy? I suppose it's true that I don't mind controversy but it's not my goal. These are just things I think about and want to discuss.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
F that. Gimmie a Heath or Rolo instead.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunicWolf View Post
F that. Gimmie a Heath or Rolo instead.
Runic Wolf, have I told you lately that I love you?
Closed Thread

Tags
arguing, confusion, definitions, divorce