Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Well, Bear has end stage Lymphoma. We will be putting him down on Saturday unless he gets really bad before then. We have rescheduled our meet up with T and K as we just can't leave the kids on the same day that we lose our dog.

B won't be doing lessons for awhile except for art and doing extra things to get hours so that she doesn't get behind in those. She is ahead in her lessons anyway. She has an hours buffer too but we need to do a couple of hours a day to keep her on track.

When I shared our sad news with my husband's cousin, she responded with hateful remarks that were completely inappropriate. She is no longer welcome to be apart of the kids' and my life. Not that she makes much of an effort to see them anyway. We haven't seen her since Q's 2nd birthday party and he turned 3 in July. She only lives 30 min from us.

We will not be attending her wedding and if she is where we are for a family thing, I will take the kids and leave. They do not need poisonous, small minded people in their lives. She also told me that doing the virtual academy with B will ruin her and turn her into a social misfit. *rolls eyes* B has always been overly social and the school provides lots of social interaction opportunities. We also got her into dance and she has many friends in the neighborhood as well.

We have her scheduled for achievement and iq testing next week so that we can get her school to properly serve her. They are giving us a hard time about how fast she is moving through the curriculum. They want me to slow her down but this school is supposed to be all about them learning at their own level and pace. We may have to pull her out if we can't get it fixed.

I am hoping that things start to settle down soon. We have had a rough 6 months. I have high hopes about T. Well, I'll check in later.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 PM

RIP Bear Tonka R. 3-2-10/9-24-11. We love you and miss you, good boy. Bear is out of his pain now and waiting for me on the Rainbow Bridge. We are doing okay today knowing that he is better off not suffering.

B promised to do her best on her testing.

We will be meeting T and K on Oct 7th at 6:30pm. We shall see how it goes. We are going go take the kids to the zoo later and get out of the house except for N who isn't feeling well today.

Last edited by jrrmjr820; 09-25-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 AM

B bombed her achievement test on purpose yesterday. We hope that she does better tomorrow on the iq test. It is a different format so that should help. She was bored and scared for some reason that the examiner would share her scores with other kids and they wouldn't want to play with her anymore. I have no idea where she got that from.

We told her we just need to know how best to help her with her schooling and she apologized for not trying.

We are getting closer to meeting T and K. A week from Friday is the day we meet up with them. M will be going with me and we will see how things go.

Last edited by jrrmjr820; 09-29-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 AM

Sorry to read about Bear.

RIP puppy-dog.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 AM

Thanks, we miss him very much but he is out of pain now.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 AM

He was only one year old? I didnt realize. That is sad. I lost a cat once to heart disease when she was only 4 and it just felt way too soon.

Sorry for your loss.

How old is B? I dont get flunking a test on purpose.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 62) loving Pixie (poly, F, 40) since January 2009, living together since 2013
Seeing Kahlo (polyish, M, 45)
Master, (mono, M, 36), Pixie's Dom/bf for 3+ years
Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Yeah, they said it was genetic. B is okay, it's not that she flunked it, it was an achievement test. She just didn't answer all of the questions that she could have so we won't get an accurate measure of what she knows to show her school.

Today she is taking the iq testing and it should give us a more accurate measure of her abilities. She is only 5, not quite 6 but her school is giving us a hard time about her moving so quickly through her courses.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Achievement testing a 5 year old? how do they even do that? She can't read yet, right? I homeschooled my kids, so I don't know how pub schools test a little 5 yr old. And I don't blame her for feeling bored.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 62) loving Pixie (poly, F, 40) since January 2009, living together since 2013
Seeing Kahlo (polyish, M, 45)
Master, (mono, M, 36), Pixie's Dom/bf for 3+ years
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM

She has been reading and writing for more than 2 years and she can read at a 6th grade level and add, subtract, multiply and divide. We are having the testing done because her school is supposed to be set up to let her work at her level in all subjects and they are giving us a hard time about it. She doesn't like to be timed though and that was part of her issue with the achievement test. She is doing a virtual academy so it's public school at home using the K12 curriculum.

The achievement test was done to show the school where she's at in an unbiased format but she didn't answer all that she knew so the test won't show us her true abilities as far as what she already knows. The iq test will show us her level of giftedness though so we will know how much differentiation she is going to need moving forward and what the best type of schooling is for her. It seems that the one she is in is a good fit if we can get them to cooperate with us. She would be bored to tears in a regular school and the gifted school here is a 45min-hour drive 1 way and they have a 7 hour school day so all that she would have time for is school.

She is pulling us for learning so I want to make sure that she has access to challenging and level appropriate materials even if she is only 5, she still deserves an education at her level.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Sorry about Bear.

Ah, schools, LOL. I homeschooled my daughter until 2nd grade then I had to go back to work but luckily at the time we lived right next to a Charter school that was wonderful. They had "levels" instead of grades, so the kids could stay in whatever level suited them socially and academically. If they were socially a bit behind but academically ahead, they'd be in the K-2, if they were a bit more socially inclined they'd advance to the 2-4 level, etc. They also had groups for math/reading, etc based on ability not age. Love that school.

Of course they lost one of the charter sponsors so had to recharter and the school district wouldn't approve it. Two months later the texting results for San Diego came back and that school had the highest improvement in scores of any school in the county. :-\

The district doesn't like it when they don't control things.

Anyway... hopefully the school will cooperate. Any chance you can retake the test? Tell them she was afraid a higher score would make her friends not like her? Kids, LOL...

Tags
kids, new to polyamory, poly, swinging