Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 AM

The case wraps up final evidence this week, and then we all get to wait until March for closing arguments.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Polys in Court - week 5 - Dr. W. John Walsh's testimony

From transcripts of January 5, 2011.

Quote:
Dr. W. John Walsh was called to the stand by the lawyer for the FLDS Church.
“I believe, as a general principle subject to reasonable restriction, if a woman wants to live in a house with five men or a man wants to live in a house with five women, as long as they are consenting adults, it's not the business of the government...That’s my personal feeling.”

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Polys in Court: Summary of testimony - Professor Rebecca J. Cook

From transcripts of BC Supreme Court sessions on January 6, 2011.

Quote:
The Attorney General of Canada called Professor Rebecca Johnson Cook to the stand as an expert in international human rights law with a particular focus on women’s rights and the obligations of States under international human rights law.
Professor Cook prepared a report specifically for this reference case. She was asked to address the harms of polygyny as viewed through the perspective of international human rights law.
- Review state practice and case law on polygamy in comparative western democracies including but not limited to Australia, UK, US and France
- Review the treatment of polygamy in international human rights law
- Review Canada's obligations with respect to polygamy

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 AM

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Court case on the Polygamy Law winds to a close

Quote:
This week, closing arguments were submitted by the Attorney General of British Columbia and the Attorney General of Canada and the other interested parties in the very historic reference case which has been before the Chief Justice Bauman and the Supreme Court of British Columbia since November 22, 2010. The closing arguments will be presented in court beginning March 28th and expected to run for 10 court days thereafter. The decision of Chief Justice Bauman will follow at a date of his discretion.

All documents filed are up for public review here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-U...Q0&hl=en&pli=1

The CBC will be webcasting the court sessions but I've no further details on that at the moment. I will link to it when I do.

.....(con't)
Quote:
  • Be willing to speak out to your neighbours, friends, MP's MLA's and the media in all possible formats. Write that letter. Make that online comment. Be informed and share that knowledge.

• Speak out for the enforcement of laws already on the books to deal with trafficking of children, child brides, child abuse, spousal abuse, welfare fraud and all the harms associated with men/women who are very good at oppressing other family members for whatever stated purpose or ultimate intent - whether those men/women live in monogamous or multi-partnered households.
  • Speak out for social intervention in the form of culture specific programs to assist the victims of these situations and not for a law that criminalizes them too.

-Imaginary Illusion

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 03-20-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 AM

Post Closing arguments started today.

Closing arguments begin in Bountiful polygamy case

By Daphne Bramham, Vancouver Sun March 28, 2011

Quote:
VANCOUVER - Lawyers for the BC government began their closing argument Monday in BC Supreme Court in the constitutional reference case to determine the validity of Canada's polygamy law.

The challenger position that Jones said is the most carefully thought out and articulated is that of the Canadian Polyamory Advocacy Association.

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 AM

You can watch the closing arguments on this page (while they're taking place). It's delayed by about 10 minutes. (For people interested by it but who don't want to click on the previous link. Link is provided there too though).
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 AM

CPAA Facebook page has some ongoing coverage and notices regarding their turn at Closing arguments today and tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/PolyAdvocacy...28953167177144

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 AM

An another announcement

Quote:
An announcement from the Canadian Polyamory Advocacy Association (CPAA)

Legal counsel for the CPAA, John Ince, will present closing arguments in Court tomorrow morning, Wednesday (April 13) between 10:00am and Noon.

Court Room 55, Fifth floor, 800 Smythe St, in Vancouver, BC

Supporters of polyamory are encouraged to attend to show their support for the position of the CPAA.

The "polygamy law" (Section 293 of Canada's Criminal Code) while aimed at fundamentalist patriarchal polygamist sects, also criminalizes polyamorist families, such as two men and a woman living in a loving consensual relationship.

Rarely in Canadain legal history has a law had such a draconian effect. No evidence suggests polyamory causes any form of harm. The CPAA is arguing that the law must be struck down as unconstitutional as it violates the rights of egalitarian polyamorist families.

Please pass this on to other polyamorists and supporters.

For more information on the CPAA visit http://polyadvocacy.ca/ or email info@polyadvocacy.ca

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Default Article

Polygamy ban akin to outdated homosexuality law, lawyer tells court

By James Keller, The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – Tue, 12 Apr, 2011 10:17 PM EDT

Quote:
VANCOUVER - Canada's anti-polygamy law is akin to the long-abandoned criminal prohibition on homosexuality, fuelling social stigma while forcing people in honest, committed relationships to live in shame, says a lawyer arguing the law should be struck down.
George Macintosh says removing polygamy from the Criminal Code would have the same positive effect as the decriminalization of homosexuality in 1969.
"In this sense, (the anti-polygamy law) is precisely the same as the law against homosexual sex, which was struck down in Canada 42 years ago," Macintosh said Tuesday during his final arguments at a landmark B.C. court case.
If you have a yahoo account, this is one of those articles that get's a lot of comments that seem skewed tot he ultra-conservative bigot camp...and could use some views on the other side of the teeter totter.

-Imaginary Illusion

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 04-13-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Have the courts reached a decision on this case yet?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
Have the courts reached a decision on this case yet?
Nope...the judge has his work cut out for him. Thousands of documents, and plenty of ramifications...yada yada yada.

I was talking to one of the CPAA people from the case on Saturday, and word there was 3-6 months minimum to render a verdict.

So it's just a waiting game at the moment. There's still things that can be done by keeping the media from forgetting about the case entirely. Favourable commentary on articles that are poly related can help sway the tone and flavour of subsequent comments, so it helps to jump on such things early.

Getting ready to write the MP's to educate them on the issue, and perspectives on it probably won't go amiss either, regardless of the verdict.

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Monday, June 20, 2011

So....what happened with the court case...the Polygamy Law stuff?

Quote:
The decision is in the hands of Chief Justice Bauman. It will take a minimum of three to six months for him to review all the evidence and come to his decision. We have heard no updates on that as of yet. I expect it later rather than sooner as I found Chief Justice Bauman to be very thorough and thoughtful.

-Imaginary Illusion

Tags
canada, criminal, legal, polygamy, polygyny