Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Obviously each of us can do as we please and need to stand up for what we believe in. So it is possible for one of us to take a stand while the other does not. I find this a very interesting situation.

Who among us is willing to stand up if the public eye will be on us?
Not all situations require everyone to take up the banner. Frankly I don't think there are many people in history who could survive more than one crusade in a lifetime as it is.
Many only need a few people to bear the load, to fight the fight...and their resolve may be stregthened on the knowledge that they have people supporting them...be it publicly, or anonimously. Hopefully they will be able to take a step afterwards and be at least partially content with the respect and gratidude of those they represent...regardless of the actual outcome.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 PM

Post Update: legal situation in British Columbia as it pertains to practicing polyamory

X-Posted from http://victoriapoly101.blogspot.com/...n-british.html

Quote:
Monday, January 4, 2010
Update on the legal situation in British Columbia as it pertains to practicing polyamory

In December, 2009, the BC Supreme Court agreed to answer a reference question put to it by the provincial Attorney General as to whether Canada's Criminal Code s. 293 is inconsistent with the Charter of Rights. That section makes it illegal for more than two people to be in a conjugal relationship, whether formally married or not, and carries a 5 year sentence. It also similarly criminalizes anyone else celebrating or assisting in a rite involving a multiple conjugal union or marriage.

The section was originally (1890's) aimed at Mormon polygamists and there is social pressure in British Columbia to again apply the section to the Mormon subsect of polygamists in Bountiful BC to address alleged abuses going on there.

While only one person has ever been found guilty under s. 293 (over 100 years ago, an aboriginal man), and only one person has been charged (unsuccessfully) under that section in the last 100 years, the fact that the section is there affects how polyamorists conduct their lives. It also affects other aspects of government policy, including immigration laws.

In response to the pending litigation, Vanpoly moderators and members have started an ad hoc working group to intervene in the litigation to present the case of polyamorists as to whether the section infringes Charter rights. We put out notices to various Canadian poly yahoo lists requesting potential witnesses who could attest that they are living in multiple conjugal relationships. We have been contacted by some poly families interested in acting as potential witnesses, though we are still interested in hearing from you if you are interested (please email cchanteuse@yahoo.com for details). We have been joined on the working group by fellow polyamorists and moderators from VanIsle Poly and from Montreal and are now working on forming a Society, tentatively named the Canadian Polyamory Advocacy Association, and preparing the formal documents for the application to court. These documents are due into court on January 28, 2010.

We will keep you posted as things progress.

Carol (Vanpoly moderator and ad hoc working group member)

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the update, II - it's going to be very interesting to watch this one, so I appreciate the updates.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Related Article

Get rid of Canada's polygamy law
NAKED EYE
Marcus Mccann / National / Thursday, January 14, 2010

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 AM

II, from a quote on that article:
Quote:
"This is why the UN Convention on the Elimination of All forms of Discrimination Against Women states that polygamy contravenes women's equality rights and harms their children. Check it out for yourself."
Is that really true? I wouldn't know where to start looking to verify that.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
II, from a quote on that article:
Is that really true? I wouldn't know where to start looking to verify that.
I provided some backgrounders early in the thread. Post #5 contains a link to the arguements that government is likely to use...and some comments about it. The UN resolutions are mentioned in there, and probably cited to more specific sources.

-Imaginary Illusion

Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Default UN Convention

The UN Convention is here:
http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/ced...ons/recomm.htm

Its premise is that polygamy as it exists is always of the form of patriarchal polygyny which creates inequality for women.

We hope to show the court that polyamory as it is practiced in Canada by those in our community values equality for women and should not be subject to potential criminal penalties.

Regards,
Carol
Vanpoly moderator
Canadian Polyamory Advocacy Association
Old 01-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Carol, thank you for your work with this. I have a feeling that this is far from easy.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Default advocacy

Thank you!

The group is composed of a small group of highly intelligent and dedicated volunteers with whom it is an honour and pleasure to be working. There is a great core skill set in the working group. And what I'm finding fascinating is that every time we look around and say...we need more of "this" kind of help, someone seems to know someone who is willing to pitch in and lend their expertise. Gotta love the poly community!

We will be looking into the need to obtain further legal help (research, preparation and time in court) at some point, if the court accepts us as interveners. In the meantime, the work is proceeding on getting the documentation into the court and getting organized.

Carol (not speaking for the organization but as herself)
Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Update.

http://victoriapoly101.blogspot.com/...cy-associ.html

Tags
canada, criminal, legal, polygamy, polygyny