Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
Yes, but very very very rare and almost certainly bi- and gay men.
Actually no. It's linked to oral sex, heterosexual or homosexual and straight men have just as much risk (though even if it was just bi and gay men it bears consideration) At this point HPV causes as many cases of oral and throat cancers as smoking does. And it's beginning to overtake it. There is a marked increase of HPV linked cancers.

Cases of HPV-linked throat cancers have been rising 10 percent a year in men under 60. Some believe that it'll overtake cervical cancer at some point soon. Though that could also be because there is more awareness and testing to catch cervical cancer in women.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
sunnydee sunnydee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I get a bit happy with the exclamation points don't I? I say "respect" a lot too I noticed. Damn it! I have to get my point across! respect.

Just as a note, I AM scared and feel like clamping up my pussy now.
heh, just kidding, kinda.
It's a little scary. I think I'm more scared of anal sex now that I know this causes anal cancers and that it wouldn't normally be caught in testing and that the treatment is awful, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
We should make it clear that the HPV that causes warts are not the same strains that cause cancers. Therefore, you won't see evidence of those types like you do with the wart causing ones.
Absolutely!! But I wasn't aware we were only talking about the HPV strains that cause cancer.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
sunnydee sunnydee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Actually no. It's linked to oral sex, heterosexual or homosexual and straight men have just as much risk (though even if it was just bi and gay men it bears consideration) At this point HPV causes as many cases of oral and throat cancers as smoking does. And it's beginning to overtake it. There is a marked increase of HPV linked cancers.

Cases of HPV-linked throat cancers have been rising 10 percent a year in men under 60. Some believe that it'll overtake cervical cancer at some point soon. Though that could also be because there is more awareness and testing to catch cervical cancer in women.
Yes, ok, maybe (though I think infection of the lungs is still extremely rare). I think the studies showing a strong link between smoking and HPV are more likely on the right track. It seems likely that smoking reduces the body's ability to fight off the virus. It also seems likely that this is not really rising, it's just that we didn't know before that HPV was causing cancers. May not be rising so much as being discovered.

EDIT: The first post on this has been edited.

Last edited by sunnydee; 11-16-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM
sunnydee sunnydee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Absolutely!! But I wasn't aware we were only talking about the HPV strains that cause cancer.
No, we aren't. I just didn't want people to get the impression that if they don't see sores, they are ok.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
No, we aren't. I just didn't want people to get the impression that if they don't see sores, they are ok.
Oh yeah...definitely very important to clarify.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
Yes, ok, maybe (though I think infection of the lungs is still extremely rare). I think the studies showing a strong link between smoking and HPV are more likely on the right track. It seems likely that smoking reduces the body's ability to fight off the virus. It also seems likely that this is not really rising, it's just that we didn't know before that HPV was causing cancers. May not be rising so much as being discovered.
What studies have you read that suggest that the cases aren't rising? I'd love to read them. (and I'm not making that point argumentatively. I have a clutch of friends among whom we share and talk about any STD info we find and HPV has been a hot topic the last few months)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 PM
sunnydee sunnydee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
What studies have you read that suggest that the cases aren't rising? I'd love to read them. (and I'm not making that point argumentatively. I have a clutch of friends among whom we share and talk about any STD info we find and HPV has been a hot topic the last few months)
No, I don't have any definite info on this. I'm seeing studies (we mostly have the Johns Hopkins, I believe) that link these to higher alcohol consumption as well as to tobacco use and seeing that they are based on increased numbers of diagnoses (always problematic as testing rises) which amounts to about 5000 cases a year, which is not a huge sample. It's also possible, of course, since we are seeing this more in young people, that it's actually related to the increase in sex education, because that is accompanied by the belief that oral sex is safer than other forms as well as possible increases in testing.

Again, my real concern here is to bring out information that will help people manage how much risk they are comfortable with. Everyone has to evaluate this limited information for themselves.

Let me thank you again, Ceoli, for helping me bring out points that might be of interest to other people who are reading. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

No, thank YOU for starting the discussion.

I should note that my little STI clutch of friends was started because we were all sitting around and sharing horror stories of being shamed in one way or another at the gynocologist for being sexually active young women with multiple partners. And we were pissed off that we all had a story about that. We formed the group to not only share info, but to normalize talking about this stuff for ourselves and to support each other in our talking to doctors and partners and friends about this stuff. One of the girls had to deal with cervical cancer, but it was caught early and treated.

So thank you for creating the same kind of support by posting this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 PM
sunnydee sunnydee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 44
Default

Here's a few things that people can take away from this that aren't scary.

1) If you have multiple (new) partners, (or exposure through your partners' partners) keeping your immune system strong by taking care of yourself is a good idea, because you will be constantly exposed to HPVs, which is maybe something nobody told you before. There's some evidence that folic acid is important to fighting off the viruses and some evidence that smoking and alcohol lessen your resistance. Remember, this is just a virus, a bug, you can try to avoid contracting it, but your more realistic goal is to fight it off, like a cold.

2) Getting a PAP smear regularly is a very good idea, even if you are not concerned about birth control, which is something else that I think women over 30 haven't really been told. The great majority of deaths from cervical cancers in the developed world are among women who have not had a PAP in more than 5 years.

3) You are safer using condoms even with people that you might think are otherwise safe because they have been tested for STIs, etc. Even though it doesn't prevent transmission entirely, it can cut down on transmission and may lessen the severity when it is transmitted. For those who might be new to the whole idea, it needs to be said, condoms with anal are also a good idea.

4) "Time" with one partner or a limited number of partners is your friend so that the virus strains that you are all exposed to can be cleared out of your bodies, so it may make sense to introduce new people slowly if you think there's a risk.

5) Once you have been exposed and fought off a strain, you have antibodies to it, so only people with seriously compromised immune systems probably need to worry about that strain again. So, take into account exposure through secondary exposure from partners of partners, but, other than that, there's probably no real reason to avoid contact with people you've already been exposed to.

6) There is no point in being afraid. Fear will not help you to be safer in any way. In every life, good things happen and bad things happen and there is very little of significance that we can ever really anticipate. Live your life. With joy and love.

Last edited by sunnydee; 11-15-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sexual health, std

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.