Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
HA! Not quite. When I talked about getting it by touching things, it was more about when the virus shows up orally.
Those "things" are almost certainly mucus membranes of infected humans. The actual oral cancers are rare, but the oral spread is probably pretty common.

Quote:
You can pick up the virus just by touching something that's been touched by someone with the virus.
Let's lay this to rest, too. IF you picked up the virus by touching "something," you would then have to relatively immediately touch your own mouth or genitals to "get" this.

Ceoli - I am not at all arguing with you. You and I, as far as I can tell, are both single poly women and, if that's true, I can only feel the greatest affection for you. I really appreciate your points because you are allowing this dialog to take place where others can see it and maybe it's helpful to them. Thank you. Really.

Last edited by sunnydee; 11-16-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
And it's about time they've started considering that men need testing and treatments as much as women.
This is true. On the plus side, there is an incredibly low (practically no) personal risk to heterosexual men even if they are in contact with a woman who has active HPV. On the negative side, this allows men to be carriers with relatively low motivation to check it.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
It is something that's VERY treatable and there is a LOT going on around researching newer and better preventative measures and treatments for it.
Treatable but not trivial. Women should know it's not like you can take some antibiotics and it all goes away. IF it gets to be a problem, it's a pretty significant medical expense and concern. IF, IF, IF. Again, IF. It often does NOT get to be a problem. I am NOT trying to scare people.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
Those "things" are almost certainly mucus membranes of infected humans. The actual oral cancers are very very rare, but the oral spread is probably pretty common.
Let me rephrase: By touching infected mucous membranes then touching objects. When the virus creates a sore, it is shedding virus cells to spread.

I did just re-read the article that suggested evidence of secondary transmission (it was an article I had read last year) and it only shows evidence of the mechanism, not the actual transmission. Though there is anecdotal evidence, that's not enough to suggest it, so I'm recanting that piece of information I thought was true but probably isn't. However, the study did say that about 15% of people with genital warts end up having detectable levels of the HPV virus in their hands and under their fingernails.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Treatable but not trivial.
I never suggested that it was trivial.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
AAHHHH!!!! sorry Rarechild, I missed reading all you wrote! I was talking about HPV!!!! damn! sorry girl!
I feel the love always from you RP, but perhaps less exclamation points next time.

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is true. On the plus side, there is an incredibly low (practically no) personal risk to heterosexual men even if they are in contact with a woman who has active HPV. On the negative side, this allows men to be carriers with relatively low motivation to check it.
Actually there are some new studies that link HPV to throat cancer in men and also to lung cancer. This might be why there's more energy going towards actually regarding men's role in the spread of the virus, but that's more of a feminist rant I have about the medical system in general.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Actually there are some new studies that link HPV to throat cancer in men and also to lung cancer. This might be why there's more energy going towards actually regarding men's role in the spread of the virus, but that's more of a feminist rant I have about the medical system in general.
Yes, but very rare and almost certainly bi- and gay men.

EDIT: This is probably incorrect, though there's no real explanation for why the same increase does not seem to be seen in women (or if it is, it's not in the studies I saw). The studies showing the connection to oral sex are linking these cancers to so many other factors at the same time that it's really difficult to take much away from them. The number of cases that aren't complicated by other factors, like smoking, may be too few to conclude too much right now. The safest thing to do is to get regular dental exams so that any changes in the mouth can be monitored just like with PAP smears.

Last edited by sunnydee; 11-16-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Let me rephrase: By touching infected mucous membranes then touching objects. When the virus creates a sore, it is shedding virus cells to spread.

I did just re-read the article that suggested evidence of secondary transmission (it was an article I had read last year) and it only shows evidence of the mechanism, not the actual transmission. Though there is anecdotal evidence, that's not enough to suggest it, so I'm recanting that piece of information I thought was true but probably isn't. However, the study did say that about 15% of people with genital warts end up having detectable levels of the HPV virus in their hands and under their fingernails.

We should make it clear that the HPV that causes warts are not the same strains that cause cancers. Therefore, you won't see evidence of those types like you do with the wart causing ones.

Last edited by sunnydee; 11-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarechild View Post
I feel the love always from you RP, but perhaps less exclamation points next time.
I get a bit happy with the exclamation points don't I? I say "respect" a lot too I noticed. Damn it! I have to get my point across! respect.

Just as a note, I AM scared and feel like clamping up my pussy now.
heh, just kidding, kinda.

Tags
sexual health, std