Oh. Ya. And GET TESTED!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
Magnum size, though, no problems.
Oh, now you're just boasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
You're makin' me worry about you I thought your generation knew this stuff!?
I know! I was under the impression that young people are just used to using condoms all the time, since they don't look back like us old people do on the days before AIDS and HIV when sticky, messy sex was the norm.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post against hierarchy in polyamory: http://solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-i...short-version/
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post

I know! I was under the impression that young people are just used to using condoms all the time, since they don't look back like us old people do on the days before AIDS and HIV when sticky, messy sex was the norm.
I find that some of my students are amazingly knowledgeable about this stuff and some have no clue or get their info from their peers and it's often wrong. The interwebs do not make up for the sex ed that still doesn't exist in many many places in the US (and large parts of the world).

One change is that the stigma of teenage pregnancy has diminished some, making this generation less "afraid" (or so I've been told). And for some folks, they just don't care or the risk-taking is a thrill. Barebacking is becoming more common in the gay community, too.

It's just not cool to put others at risk, even if you're willing to take risks yourself. Get tested, use protection, and if condoms aren't your thing, then be inventive, move away from penetration-fixation.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Sticky, messy sex is still the norm in most erotica, which is a lot of folks' first exposure to sex. Well, mine, anyway. :shrug:

ETA: I think for myself, part of the reason I don't have condom usage drilled into my head is the way I was raised. I was homeschooled, so sex ed came from my mom and whatever I could get from Encyclopedia Britannica. I tended to look up things like "reproduction" rather than "chlamydia", so I learned more about sperm-meets-egg=pregnancy than STDs. I was aware of the existence of STDs, but it's always been sort of a peripheral knowledge rather than internalized awareness. That and the fact that when I was a teen, my life goal was to find a husband and make as many babies as God would give me (it's just the values system I was raised with, in my very conservative family), so I never envisioned myself using condoms. That was something for promiscuous people, which was always "other" people, not me. Now that it's me, I'm having to change the way I think about things, and it's not as easy as it sounds.

Last edited by vixtresses; 07-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Some guys are lucky and it doesn't affect them,.
Condoms definitely have a negative affect on me. I have used them in the past for safety but never found them to be a very efficient thing for spontaneous sex or back and forth acts during sex. I like wet sex..simple and plain. I'll agree partially about sex with a condom not being worth it. Casual sex with a condom wouldn't be worth it for me, but sex with a partner I cared about would, and has been, plenty passionate and satisfying. And we're only talking penis protection here. Once you take in the bigger picture of fluids such as those exchanged through oral sex then the idea of protection totally kills it. I'd pretty much pick celibacy over a dental dam.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM

I'm with Mono here.

For me, sex with a condom is TERRIBLY inconvenient. From breaking it out, to opening it, to putting in, to removing it to disposal. It's inconvenient. Plain and simple.

Do I still wear condoms with women other than my wife? ABSOLUTELY! I don't want ANY kind of STD's. NONE! period!

Now, if I were together with a woman for an extended period of time (which is not defined) and they were exclusive with me and possibly their spouse, then MAYB E I would forego the condom with them. But....I have only come CLOSE to being that serious with two women other than my wife. And I was with them for 3 years, and 4 years.

Oral and a condom or dental dam? Not a chance. Sorry....Just aint happening.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:45 PM

This just came across my desk today, there is now an antibiotic resistant form of gonorrhea out there. It's been found more often in people's throats than in their genitals (currently only in Japan but the world being the global village it is...) Just some food for thought for those of you opposed to protection during oral sex. If you are using a condom to protect you against disease with a partner it might be a good idea to protect yourself orally with the same partner.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 PM

I have to agree that sex with condoms is not as fun, which is actually one of the reasons I don't have casual sex and one of the reasons I prefer my tribe being in a position right now of no one else coming and going from it. That being said. Condoms should be a must.... its just standard knowledge and stupidity to not follow something that is proven to me.

This is reminding me that I need to get tested again. Thanks for the reminder. I have an appointment for a blood test on Thursday. I will be asking to add some stuff to that test.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Custodian

The thing is, when you're that young, you feel invincible; you feel as if you can take these chances and that the odds are you won't be the one who gets caught. That's how I felt when I was in my teens and early 20's. Then when I started getting cats and later when I became "serious" with my husband, I realized how extremely fortunate I was to have dodged those bullets (and I did once catch gonorrhea when I was 15), and it isn't something worth risking all I have going for me now especially now that I'm starting to enjoy my life again after the death of my mother 10 years ago and my hysterectomy last winter. But I digress. When you're younger you don't really have as much perspective of what you have to lose. If you die, you'll be dead, but what if you have to LIVE with something for a LONG TIME? Just saying...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
This is simply unreasonable, SG, with so many diseases and infections you can get and pass on to others. It's bullshit, actually -- you only convinced yourself that you can't keep it up with one on. It's a mindgame, and you can undo that. Maybe you're just not used to it, but if you want to be poly and have multiple partners at some point, you can't go around having bareback sex with everyone. You can use a little lube inside the condom, and on the outside. Practice getting yourself off wearing one. Don't wait until the moment you are entering her to put it on. And condoms come in a variety of shapes and sizes for a variety of penises! Try a bunch of different ones and make note of which fit best.

Also look into Cherry wearing a female condom -- they are supposed to be more pleasurable for the guy. It's really stupid to refuse to get used to them -- your health and that of your partners are at risk. No one should be so cavalier about not making an effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
SG - try some different kinds of condoms as well. The regular ones suffocate me as well. I can stay erect for a little while, but nowhere near as long as normal with most condoms. Magnum size, though, no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Somegeezer- practice, practice, practice. Go buy some different sizes, ask your friends what they use, go on line and get some info about uoir particular needs. Work it, work with her... And then report back please. You're makin' me worry about you I thought your generation knew this stuff!?
Sorry, I'm a bit far back in this conversation right now.

Of course I understand all about that stuff. But th comments about my generation certainly aren't wrong. There really are people that stupid around me.

I have no disease, she has no disease, we have no other partners. just me and her. Of course, I would always use a condom with a new partner, or just wait until they were tested. I've used pretty much every kind of condom I can get my hands on. The thinner ones certainly feel slightly better, but it still hinders me useless. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've actually climaxed using a condom. All of those times with my own right hand [to put it bluntly].

The same problem would come with the female ones for Cherry. She said she has used them before and they did nothing for her. She is immune to quite a few contraceptive stuff. Or they just end up messing her body up. She has been pregnant on both the pill and the implant, the latter of which she has in for about a year and a half [they are a 3 year contraceptive].

I feel the only option right now would be surgery [which aint happening], or abortion. I don't like the idea of her going through with the abortion for her own sake. I know if she were to go through with it, she would be very upset, possibly depressed.
=]

Tags
children, disabilities, hurtful words, kids, pregnancy, safe sex, words