Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
How old are you?

I agree there has to be a break. I can't just jump right back in.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Sorry, I mistook articles based on the research of Dr. Lee P. Shulman, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine, to be pretty scientific. I'm not the only one who doesn't read it seems
I read all three articles completely. Two are written by journalists who both used the same quote by Dr. Shulman, and the third did not reference Dr. Shulman at all, unless I'm missing a page somewhere. I would hardly call those articles "based on" his research. The quote they both used was "It has absolutely no correlation to the enjoyment, the activity, the frequency of sex." Very scientific, LOL. Furthermore one articles uses that quote to say that it is true women hit their sexual peak at 28, and the other article uses the same quote to say women's sex hormones are highest ages 31 to 36.

If I want to read about scientific research into women's sexual health I am not going to a magazine that airbrushes its cover models, nor to a blogger who uses one pull quote from a doctor. I will go to a peer-reviewed journal and read the articles actually written by the researchers, not journalists. But I am someone who gets off on research!!! I study how to research, do research for fun, and get paid to research. I have scientists in my family -- they know that one sentence in their findings can be used by a journalist to prop up almost any argument - it happens all the time. Fortunately, as a college student, I have access to a database containing hundreds of peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific journals. When I have time, I will look for some that address the topic of "sexual peak."

Sorry, I just have a bias against using popular media as confirmation of anything substantial or scientific. In fact, in just cursorily looking through one database, I found an article published from a journal called Sex Roles written by researchers who examined the impact women's magazines have on shaping young adults' impressions of sex and sexuality (very interesting study, the article was 17 pages long). Their conclusion:
"So what might be the outcome of the representations
these magazines contain? Although not targeted at them, it
is our contention that heterosexual men, as a group and
individually, potentially gain from the ways women’s
magazines represent male and female sexuality, as women
are encouraged to partake in sexual activities that men
(supposedly) desire. However, men’s sexual subjectivity
was also positioned precariously through these dominant
constructions, and women’s sexuality was implicitly framed
as dependent on men’s sexuality and sexual competence.
Furthermore, women were not constructed as ‘inherently’
sexual in the way that men were. Rather, female sexuality
was (implicitly) constructed as ‘catching up’ to (an ever
present and pre-existent) male sexuality, which ostensibly
constitutes ‘real’ sexuality. This construction reinforces the
notion that sex and sexuality remain, to some extent, largely
men’s domains (Jackson, 1984). In various ways, then, the
magazines ultimately worked to reinforce traditional gendered
roles: men as sexual; women as relational.

Through destabilising the unquestioned status of the
heterosexist imperative, the prioritisation of a traditional
‘masculine’ model of sexuality, and representations of
‘natural’ gender(ed) differences within media representation,
we hope to encourage others to question its taken-for granted
nature. We suggest that these magazine’s ought to
offer an increased focus on more diverse forms of
sexualities and pleasures, with a recognition and emphasis
on ‘women-centred’ pleasures and desires, if heterosexuality
really is to change to a ‘real’ egalitarian sexuality. From
a constructionist perspective, media such as Cleo and
Cosmo do not represent the reality of women’s and men’s
sexual desires, they produce the possibilities, and indeed
the ‘realities,’ of women’s (and men’s) desires and
fantasies, and potentialities for action alongside these.
However, as we noted in our introduction, the ways in
which such representations are taken up are also important
for understanding the ongoing construction of male and
female (hetero)sexuality. Therefore, future researchers in
this area may seek to examine how such texts and themes
are taken up and engaged in by heterosexual female and
male readers and whether/how they are resisted, challenged,
or accepted by readers."
Panteá Farvid & Virginia Braun, Department of Psychology, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.

Last edited by nycindie; 06-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Sorry, I just have a bias against using popular media as confirmation of anything substantial or scientific.
No need to apologize, I also don't put much stock in any source that is over popularized simply because it is interesting. I agree, peer review is very important to validate articles and information. That's why books such as the ever popular Sex at Dawn don't appeal to me. They get lots of lay people endorsement but actual peer reviews by people with credentials are few and far between..and often very critical.

I just pass on information as I find it. I'm not invested in it.

Women's Health actually has some very good information in it btw....despite the airbrushing. Everyone glosses up thier magazines and books...because that's what sells

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 PM

With all this talk about multiple times in one night, I was thinking "I've only ever managed once a night, I'm feeling inadequate now." However, I need clarification on something. In, for example, the following situation:

Go at it for 20 minutes or so, take a ten minute break, move to a different room, go at it for half an hour, ten minute break, go outside, another twenty minutes or so, fifteen minute break, go back to the first room, another half hour, finish up, take a nap.

Is that once, or four times? I've been counting that as one...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xared View Post
With all this talk about multiple times in one night, I was thinking "I've only ever managed once a night, I'm feeling inadequate now." However, I need clarification on something. In, for example, the following situation:

Go at it for 20 minutes or so, take a ten minute break, move to a different room, go at it for half an hour, ten minute break, go outside, another twenty minutes or so, fifteen minute break, go back to the first room, another half hour, finish up, take a nap.

Is that once, or four times? I've been counting that as one...
I was counting MY orgasms because I'm pretty sure she had alot more than I did. start with a nooner, go out to lunch, back to the house for round 2, walk the dog, mow the yard, round 3 in the shower, dinner.....etc, etc
Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 PM

In my experience, in the last seven years, yes, the male sex drive is a myth! Or at least the next thing to it!

With Breathes, until the last month or so, it was extremely rare that we would have sex more than twice a month . He's 40.

With Possibility: we've been seeing each other for a couple of years and had sex once! He's 34.

I'm 44.

A lot of the time the lack of sex, or even mutual stimulation, stems from different work schedules, life issues causing stress, lack of sleep, improper nutrition, forgetting to have fun rather than going at it in a business like fashion....it's really a very long list.

We can't forget the mental aspect either. Stress falls into this category, it's not all stress though. It can be something as simple as the bus was late so you didn't get home on time or not being able to find the mailbox key to a really bad day at work and horrendous traffic making your ten minute commute into a two hour slow moving bumper car experiment!

I would absolutely LOVE to have sex, stimulation, sexual fun (not necessarily physical sex but PLEASE stimulate my brain!) three or four times a week. It won't happen for various reasons.

My advice to all those women you're talking about who are looking for ways to get their guys interested? Dress up like a hockey puck (I'm in Canada so guess why I said that), a football or a piece of equipment from their guy's favorite sport and have some fun with it! For me sex is most often about fun and stress relief, not about the physical act itself. Even if they don't actually have sex I'll bet they will find that they will feel just as relaxed after some fun time with their guy!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 PM

I have a hard time believing in the age based horniness levels. I am 36 and .. lets just say I do just fine..

My.. sexuality and levels of arousal are as good today as when I was younger. If not a little better.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:46 AM

Like all myths there's probably something to it, somewhere.

For another random data point, I'm male, and I definitely have a higher sex drive than my wife. Once a month, once every six weeks, that's about it. She's just not interested. Except when she is, about once a month. ;P It's a point of contention, but at this point, it's a well-worn discussion, and not one that generally goes my way.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
I have a hard time believing in the age based horniness levels. I am 36 and .. lets just say I do just fine..

My.. sexuality and levels of arousal are as good today as when I was younger. If not a little better.
I think stress, exhaustion, and health issues are a huge factor for men and they just have a larger collection of all of the above as they get older, even if the sex drive is still there. Just a personal observation.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
I think stress, exhaustion, and health issues are a huge factor for men and they just have a larger collection of all of the above as they get older, even if the sex drive is still there. Just a personal observation.
Sexual chemistry plays a huge role as well. At least in my experience.

Tags
male/female, sex at dawn, sexuality