Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
What is #YesAllWomen? Is that a pick-up artist phrase?
It's a hashtag used on twitter with anecdotes about what women commonly have to face due to sexism. It was created, as far as I understand, in response to comments that things like that were rare and most women didn't experience them.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 PM

There's a #Notallmen hashtag/article identifier that gets used in posts or articles where men are upset to be painted with the "potential assailant" brush. Not all men use roofies, not all men are jerks - and it's true, they're not.

But the #Yesallwomen tag basically turns that around and says, look, I know that not all men are raging a-holes, but ALL women have to consider these things - consider that, on a first date, they really ought to meet in a public place; that they may not want this person to know where they live; that they NEED to think about not putting themselves in a situation where they might get taken advantage of because we don't know what kind of man you ARE.

I have to seriously consider going for a run at 9pm because it's getting dark. That thought wouldn't even cross my partner's mind. It's that sort of thing that #Yesallwomen is trying to convey, despite the realization that #Notallmen are like that.

Jeez, I really need to drink my coffee and get to work.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
There's a #Notallmen hashtag/article identifier that gets used in posts or articles where men are upset to be painted with the "potential assailant" brush. Not all men use roofies, not all men are jerks - and it's true, they're not.

But the #Yesallwomen tag basically turns that around and says, look, I know that not all men are raging a-holes, but ALL women have to consider these things - consider that, on a first date, they really ought to meet in a public place; that they may not want this person to know where they live; that they NEED to think about not putting themselves in a situation where they might get taken advantage of because we don't know what kind of man you ARE.

I have to seriously consider going for a run at 9pm because it's getting dark. That thought wouldn't even cross my partner's mind. It's that sort of thing that #Yesallwomen is trying to convey, despite the realization that #Notallmen are like that.

Jeez, I really need to drink my coffee and get to work.
I liked this article written by a guy who shows other men how not to be a part of rape culture.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zaron-...b_5440553.html
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 AM

But what the hell can you do with a hashtag on Twitter?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
It's a "conversation" that draws attention to the problem.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/27/living...g-yesallwomen/
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It's a means of aggregating posts so that you can read related ones together. Searching for #Notallmen on Twitter would bring you a thread of posts with that tag in it.

Of course, it's overused past the point of usefulness into self-parody now: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/selfies
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Official Greeter

#lovehashtags #musthavemore
Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I don't really understand Twitter myself, or even what a hashtag is...but in this case, #YesAllWomen (you can do a google search for it) is a long list of Twitter posts where women talk about their experiences with misogyny, rape culture, and violence against women.

It started after the shooting rampage in California the other month, when that guy who hated women decided to kill a bunch of people because he was angry that women wouldn't sleep with him. He left a manifesto explaining his reasons (with language similar to what I see on OKC all the time).
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 AM

Off the #yesallwomen topic because I have to laugh about it somewhere! today's winner was a deliberately-vague-about-relationship status gentleman that pinged "cheating". Called him on it and got "oh, I'm unilaterally non-mono". Can we say bullshit?

dating Sunshine and DinoActivist, TheKnight is dating
Sunshine. (Sunshine and DinoActivist are married.)

Other Dramatis Personae: HipsterBoy / Pink!Girl / TheBride / MartialArtist / KinkyChemist - see my blog for details
Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 AM

This is a bit too cutesy for its own good, and probably less powerful than the host seems to think, but seems somewhat relevant to this thread:

http://www.upworthy.com/a-funny-man-...oing-it?c=ufb1

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

"Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tags
communication, online dating