Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo View Post
I recently met a guy I'm a 99% match with. He's smart, cute, funny, kind, caring, really poly, and is totally into me.
And I felt zero chemistry. We hung out a couple of times as friends, I really really tried to like him as more than a friend... because he is, in every aspect, perfect for me.
But it's not happening.

Hope this makes you feel a little bit better No guarantees, not even with 99% matches
N has a man crush on him, pretty sure I'd really like him since n and I enjoy the same people. But yes, common interests def don't make chemistry
Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 PM

I had messaged a straight woman, My age because she said she was looking for friends and she sounds like a lot of run. She didn't respond until I sent her a second message. Turns out we are in the same math class. It's crazy how small a 150k city really is. Just yesterday I was training a new staff and turns out thus crazy old coworker if mine is her friend's mother's cousin, lmao
Old 08-27-2013, 12:20 AM

Quick question: If I block someone, does it tell them they're blocked? Or does it just appear to them that I no longer have a profile? Could they still read a message I sent them prior to blocking them?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:43 PM

I've been blocked a couple times at least, by disgruntled would be suitors who got pissed at me for not jumping at the chance to immediately jump their bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
Quick question: If I block someone, does it tell them they're blocked?
No. They told me they were about to block me.

Quote:
Or does it just appear to them that I no longer have a profile?
Not sure.

Quote:
Could they still read a message I sent them prior to blocking them?
Yes.

Ask NYCindie about blocking. I think she blocks idiots every day. I rarely bother.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
Quick question: If I block someone, does it tell them they're blocked? Or does it just appear to them that I no longer have a profile? Could they still read a message I sent them prior to blocking them?

Thanks.
If you put someone on your Blocked list, it means they are blacklisted and can't send you any messages anymore, either to your inbox or on the OKC chat thingie. However, unless they've deleted your discussion threads from their inboxes, they will still be able to read all your previous messages. Nothing you can do about that. I believe they will know you blocked them because they cannot send a message to you if they try to - they get some kind of notification about that.

Note that they will still be able to find you in a search for Matches or on the front page feed/ticker, unless you "Hide" them as well.

So, to Hide someone, you can either click on their profile and select the "Hide" button, or go to your settings and find the "Hidden Users" tab, where you can type in their names. Once Hidden, and they can't see you in any places where OkCupid would normally "suggest" other profiles, such as QuickMatch, "You Might Like" in the left sidebar, Quiver, the homepage ticker, any search you do for Matches, or the activity list on the homepage, etc.

If you hide someone, then you will also not show up in those places to them but they can still search specifically for you by username. They have no way of knowing that you hid them. So, basically you need to do both - Block and Hide -- to stop someone from seeing you on OKC, to stop seeing them, and to stop getting messages from someone.

All this does no good if the offending person changes his/her username - then you have to do it all over again. There was a guy who kept doing that to me for almost a year, it was like being stalked! He knew I'd blocked him and then would send me short cryptic little messages from a new username after that, again and again and again. If someone is being creepy, you can report them.

EDITED: I didn't even see this comment before posting my response above, LOL:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Ask NYCindie about blocking. I think she blocks idiots every day.
Yeah, unfortunately, I've become an expert on it. That's why my OKC account is currently disabled!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 08-29-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM

more winners

from a 15% match

Quote:
hey ever want to get naughty together?
and another

Quote:
Mm
and

Quote:
Hey there My name is M--. How are you this morning?
and

Quote:
good morning from [his city]. I hope that its only your b/day you share with lucille ball lol
and

Quote:
I'm back. Let's meet.
That was from a guy I must've briefly chatted with in early summer. I didn't save his messages. This is the 2nd time some guy did that. Goes away, comes back, and just demands I jump at his order to come get him, with no other pleasantries attached, or care taken to make sure I remember him.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

miss pixi, 37

Last edited by Magdlyn; 09-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 PM

Here's one, from a 40% match:

I am soooooooooooooooooo confused after reading your profile what can I expect

Um. You can expect that I will not respond to you.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM

LOL Meera.

So I get this message from a guy with no photo:

Quote:
I find you intriguing, I keep coming back to your site! You seem really cool. I like a lot of the same music. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know. -[his name]
I am kind of taking a break from dating now, unless someone really irresistable comes along. So, I look at his profile, it's just OK, only 73% match, I don't respond. Next day he writes again.

Quote:
The weekend is almost here! Starts at 3 for me. A few rum and cokes while listening to some live Dead sounds pretty damn good about now....
So, I felt like being polite and responded a while later:
Quote:
Nice way to relax indeed.
Soon after, he says:

Quote:
Alright, you can talk! Maybe in a couple months we could go for coffee! LOL.
Then a half hr later:

Quote:
Or maybe sooner? [his phone number] and I'll send a picture. I don't kiss on first dates though, just warnin ya.
What the fuck??? That must be the oddest "warning" about boundaries I've ever gotten from a guy I barely responded to.

miss pixi, 37
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM

The timeless classic "Hi" from a 24 year old.

and

"Classic Star Trek or newer versions?"

Too far away. but I would have answered, all but Enterprise, I could not get into that. I tried so very hard but no.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10 AM

This just in while I was having breakfast.

"Hi how are you?"

I've got nothing else to do while chewing my cereal, so I check out his profile. He's single, looking for a single woman, says God is the most important thing in his life, thinks homosexuality is a sin, and would not consider an open relationship.

So I write back:
"I'm happy, not single, an atheist, open minded, and non-monogamous."

That shut him up

Tags
communication, online dating