Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 01:58 PM

Default the 12 hour post editing limit

So I understand the concept of limiting the ability to edit posts so that way down the line things can't be changed... but is the timeline on that adjustable? Is there a reason the limit was set to 12 hours? That seems very short. I would love it if the limit could be 24 hours to give people a larger window to catch mistakes (like using real names or clarifying things if a post was jumbled with abbreviations and such). Sometimes people post and aren't able to check back within those 12 hours, so it just seems like it would reduce the number of requests to have a mod fix something if there was just a BIT more time.....
Metal: 32, Male, dating me, poly divorced dad
RCT (or Ty): 31, male, friend, mono, current roommate, divorced, dad to Lizzy
Dancer: 30s, female, dating Sudo, married mother of 4
Peach: 34, female, my meta?, ex-wife of Sudo, lives with Joe
Joe: 33ish?, male, b/f of Peach, dad to Bug
Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Official Greeter

I actually think 12 hours is too much ...
Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 PM

If 24 hours could be set for the blog section at least, it would be nice. I often come back the next evening and facepalm at the language mistakes I've made... and frankly, sometimes deleting details in overly emotional posts would be nice too.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 PM

It would be nice if blog keepers had more ability to edit or delete our own posts in our blogs.

But if the time frame for the blog section ONLY could be modified, I'd make it even longer than 24 hours. Like a few days, even, or a week. Just so it was long enough for states of emotional stress to resolve, and for a person to realize if they'd said more than they should. Most of the times that I have been in a state of emotional extremity, it's been hormones or drop or something, and within 2-3 days I'm a whole different person.

I know, it's probably not possible, and I'm not asking for this...I just wish.

Analyst, Fire & Hefe My poly quad for approximately a year, until about July 2016. I still consider them much-loved friends.

Blood:
Ninja- 17, Son
Q- 15, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I actually think 12 hours is too much ...
Same.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 PM

I'm seeing a pattern. Those who have written hundreds of posts think 12 hours is too much, those who have written less, feel that 12 hours is not enough.

My totally unscientific conclusion from this is that when you're not used to writing on a forum, you tend to guess and second guess yourself in the constant balance to want to write something engaging whilst bearing in mind its permanency and whether this is something you want to stay visible to everyone forever. In particular, I often wonder if I would want my (hypothetical) children, and (hypothetical) children's (hypothetical) children to ever see some of what I write.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:15 PM

I am interested to know why Kevin and Vince think that 12 hours is too much...guys?

(-insert tone of respectful curiosity-)

Analyst, Fire & Hefe My poly quad for approximately a year, until about July 2016. I still consider them much-loved friends.

Blood:
Ninja- 17, Son
Q- 15, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband
Old 05-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaya View Post
I'm seeing a pattern. Those who have written hundreds of posts think 12 hours is too much, those who have written less, feel that 12 hours is not enough.

My totally unscientific conclusion from this is that when you're not used to writing on a forum, you tend to guess and second guess yourself in the constant balance to want to write something engaging whilst bearing in mind its permanency and whether this is something you want to stay visible to everyone forever. In particular, I often wonder if I would want my (hypothetical) children, and (hypothetical) children's (hypothetical) children to ever see some of what I write.
How on earth would these hypothetical people associate it with you? That's exactly *why* I discuss some of what I discuss, here. Certainly I discuss poly things on my (under my real name) FB in groups, but not the deep emotional stuff. There is the chance that someone who knew me VERY well could come here and realize that I am who I am (the location is real, the nicknames are descriptive, some of the things I discuss are kind of specific, it's plausible) but this is a pretty quiet, anonymous corner of the internet.

Other Dramatis Personae are detailed in my blog.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Official Greeter

I've seen, more than once, instances where someone posted an OP describing their situation and asking for advice, then where one or more people posted advice as requested, then where the OP used the 12-hour edit window to erase their post. The result being that the advice posted thereafter makes no sense. I think this is unfair to the people who invest time and thought into helping the OP. It means that future newbies will see that thread, and get nothing out of it. I think that is massively uncool.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I've seen, more than once, instances where someone posted an OP describing their situation and asking for advice, then where one or more people posted advice as requested, then where the OP used the 12-hour edit window to erase their post. The result being that the advice posted thereafter makes no sense. I think this is unfair to the people who invest time and thought into helping the OP. It means that future newbies will see that thread, and get nothing out of it. I think that is massively uncool.
This. Plus, I've seen people use editing as a form of gaslighting and trolling in other forums.

Read the post before you hit reply. Then read it right after. Then there is no need for a 12 hour window. The forums on eBay have a 5 minute window...lol.