Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 AM

Default Birthdays/other occasions and Gifts!

So... Boy's birthday is coming up, and I now get to give him a gift! Woohoo! I don't give gifts often, but I really try to make them special when I do. I'm curious what y'all do for birthdays for your partners, friends, and people in between.

Boy would best be described as my boyfriend, I suppose, since that's what everyone else calls him, but he and I don't label things. He didn't give me a gift this year since he was in a bit of a financial crisis, but we did take a weekend trip later in the month that we shared the cost of (he probably spent around $100-150 total for the weekend - which includes meals for both of us, not just me, and gas. I paid for the room). Last year, he gave me a sex accessory that was around $100, too. I was in between jobs last year for his birthday, so this will be the first time I'm in a position to actually do something semi-nice for him.

We've talked about doing the whole "Love is Art" thing before, so I was thinking about making my own kit to give to him (cheaper and more customizable). It was my idea, though, so I don't want to give him a gift that's really for me. :/ He was excited, though, and said he'd want to do it a few times to play around with the results (and so that we each at least have one to put up in our homes).

I also thought about planning another weekend away. I know he liked it last time, but it was definitely MY trip - doing things I wanted to do first and filling in with his requests.

Or I know an artist who does sketches he'd love. I'm iffy about buying him art, though... At least if we made art together, he'd be a part of it. If I picked it out entirely, I'd just be decorating his house for him. ha

So, yeah! What do you all think? What would you do in this situation or what have you done in the past?

Have I mentioned that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE birthdays?!
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 AM

I think buying him art is OK. That kind of thing would be exactly something I'd appreciate, and not think of it about someone else wanting to decorate the house for me. I actually have several pieces of art that were given to me as gifts and those are the most precious ones.

Your other ideas are not bad, either
Old 09-21-2014, 04:30 PM

I don't really do anything for birthdays or other holidays. I don't want to feel obligated to buy something because the calender says I should. We don't really have any extra money for things like that anyway so if Nate was dating someone they most likely will never get one from him.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM
Official Greeter

Heh, I'm in Inyourendo's camp on this one. I'm a grinch about every holiday including birthdays. Still if I was going to buy someone a gift, I'd try to think of something they would like. If they're a sports nut I could get them a jersey or something.

My V usually goes out to eat somewhere special for each person's birthday. Brother-Husband loves celebrating birthdays and holidays, and loves to give people Hallmark cards. He often gives Snowbunny flowers for her birthday, Valentine's Day, etc.

Just be creative and think of something really special, something from the heart. If you can't think of anything big, get (and/or make) several smaller gifts! Have fun with it.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM

The ONLY time I buy gifts are birthdays (and Hubby and I do Christmas gifts that are more for the home). And usually I don't buy gifts, I plan a super nice evening (usually with a home-cooked meal) so that it's special. I just like the excuse to make a day about someone.

Boy's ex-wife, though, already has dinner covered, and we're going to be with her and her partner. So, unless I waited until the following week, I can't do my usual thing. He's also given me some nice things in the past, so I like the idea of giving him something, too.

I got the stuff for the sex painting. I also got a sketch that made me think of him. Not very expensive, but fun. I'm also going to take him some of his favorite cookies that I make and these scone-ish things that I make for him to take to work the next day.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Official Greeter

That sounds like a good plan to me.