Confused Newbie

jewels6675

Here's my story...

I've been dating a man, who has a live-in girlfriend who is more than half his age for the last four months and feel as though I am in love with him. He explained poly to me when we first met, and I have since been doing a lot of research on the topic and have read numerous forum topics on it, but I have always been in monogamous relationships. Prior to his current relationship, he had also always been in monogamous relationships. But I'm not sure this is something I can or want to do....I want him all to myself.

He has also just asked me to move in with them...which I am considering...but am afraid I will be overly jealous...a part of me wants to say yes, because I feel if if we are able to spend more time together that he will then want to be with me rather then with her.

My question is this....is my way of thinking all wrong???

Yes it is. If you want a monogamous relationship don't sign up for a poly relationship hoping that the other person will change their mind.

And this:
a part of me wants to say yes, because I feel if if we are able to spend more time together that he will then want to be with me rather then with her.
makes you a cowgirl and no better than someone trying to worm her way between a monogamous couple.

Yes it is. If you want a monogamous relationship don't sign up for a poly relationship hoping that the other person will change their mind.

And this: makes you a cowgirl and no better than someone trying to worm her way between a monogamous couple.
BAM! Nailed that sucker like a rocket powered hammer.

I would only quibble to say that your way of thinking with regards to "I cant do this" isn't wrong. If poly isn't your thing, it isn't your thing. That's not a thoughtcrime.

The "I kinda want to move in so he has a greater chance of choosing me" is off, though. Totes.

So just a month ago you were even stating that if you moved out his way you wouldn't live with him, but get a place with your dog and cat.

Now you not only want to live that way but you want to move in with him in the hopes that he goes more for you than the person who he is with (who it doesn't sound like you have the most respect for with the comment of her being more than half his age).

If you don't want a polyamorus relationship don't have one. But don't try to trick someone who is in one to being monogamous with you.

If you feel you want him all to yourself while he is poly and partnered, you are being very unrealistic and unfair to both him and yourself. Don't be a cowgirl.

Besides, you've only been dating him for four months. That is no time at all, and way too soon to move in. Obviously, neither of you is thinking straight, probably due to the rush of chemistry you are experiencing (endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin, etc.). Slow the fuck down, wake up, get your feet back on the ground, and get to know him better. Sheesh.

Meantime, visit this site: http://www.reuniting.info/science/sex_in_the_brain

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with everyone here. Polyamory is about informed consent of every party involved and agreeing to whatever structure works best for everyone involved. If you're going in with the premeditation that you're going to be the wedge that separates them, then that's incredibly wrong and deceitful.

It really sounds like you need to take a step or three back and re-evaluate what it is that you want and also figure out how to get that without being a home wrecker.

My Two Cents

Here's my story...

I've been dating a man, who has a live-in girlfriend who is more than half his age for the last four months and feel as though I am in love with him. He explained poly to me when we first met, and I have since been doing a lot of research on the topic and have read numerous forum topics on it, but I have always been in monogamous relationships. Prior to his current relationship, he had also always been in monogamous relationships. But I'm not sure this is something I can or want to do....I want him all to myself.

He has also just asked me to move in with them...which I am considering...but am afraid I will be overly jealous...a part of me wants to say yes, because I feel if if we are able to spend more time together that he will then want to be with me rather then with her.

He doesnt want only you. He also wants his girlfriend-the one that is more than half his age. Yep. He is into her. Her age may be a huge part of his attraction. So be careful how you try to put her down. She has wisdom and experience over you. And that can be VERY sexy. ;)

He isnt going to commit to you and only you. He met you, while living with another woman.

I think you need to get your head out of the clouds. This guy isn't monogamous. If you choose to be with him, they you are choosing to share him with his other woman, and probably anyone else he meets along the way.

To think you'll get in there and take him away from her is funny. You'll lose. I guarantee you that. You'll play wifey and try to be better than her. But you'll wind up moving out in a huff because he never gives in. :eek:

Just chalk it up as a loss and move on. I'd be single for a while if I were you and work on me for a while. Nobody should settle for less than what they want. You don't want to share him so why would you even consider settling for sharing him? I think it's time for you to work on you for a while. Then get back in the dating game. You've got to be healthy and strong to attract healthy and strong.

Just my two cents!:eek:

Go with your heart

You need to decide in your heart do you want to be with him because you care about him and her or just him. You have to decide also if the doubts you are feeling right are worth the risk of a great relationship or if you can't get over those "nagging feeling" no disrespect intended of jealously because if you can't get over them then the relationship can and I knowfrom my own experiences does go very wrong very fast. I have a polyamorous relationship with two men and I can't budge from my rule about no other women than me in my relationship because of my own jealously I can share them with each other and they are just with me female wise but its not something you will get over easily. I have been in monogamous relationships too and I just didn't feel complete but I don't try to convert but I do want to try to help anyone that wants to be in a polyamorous relationship or in your case just thinking about it. I hope I helped at least a little.
3isnotacrowd

So just a month ago you were even stating that if you moved out his way you wouldn't live with him, but get a place with your dog and cat.

Now you not only want to live that way but you want to move in with him in the hopes that he goes more for you than the person who he is with (who it doesn't sound like you have the most respect for with the comment of her being more than half his age).

If you don't want a polyamorus relationship don't have one. But don't try to trick someone who is in one to being monogamous with you.

Yes a month ago that was what I was thinking, but last week he asked me to move in with him and I have been giving it alot of thought.

I was asking for advice from the people on this board as I am much less experienced in the whole matter. I guess I didn't expect to be critized but to have been given advice.

I honestly don't know if I want poly...I've never done it...but have been considering that as well...and that's not something I can decide over night...I am trying to have an open mind throughout this whole new precess I am finding myself in...and have read a numerous amount of information and am still learning.

If I have offended anyone for seeking advice, then please except my apologies...that was not my intentions...but I do want to be with this guy and am still in hopes that someone will give me some advice rather then simply critizing me.

He doesnt want only you. He also wants his girlfriend-the one that is more than half his age. Yep. He is into her. Her age may be a huge part of his attraction. So be careful how you try to put her down. She has wisdom and experience over you. And that can be VERY sexy. ;)

He isnt going to commit to you and only you. He met you, while living with another woman.

I think you need to get your head out of the clouds. This guy isn't monogamous. If you choose to be with him, they you are choosing to share him with his other woman, and probably anyone else he meets along the way.

To think you'll get in there and take him away from her is funny. You'll lose. I guarantee you that. You'll play wifey and try to be better than her. But you'll wind up moving out in a huff because he never gives in. :eek:

Just chalk it up as a loss and move on. I'd be single for a while if I were you and work on me for a while. Nobody should settle for less than what they want. You don't want to share him so why would you even consider settling for sharing him? I think it's time for you to work on you for a while. Then get back in the dating game. You've got to be healthy and strong to attract healthy and strong.

Just my two cents!:eek:

I couldn't agree more that we shouldn't settle for less then what it is we want...and I have never nor wil I ever settle. I have been single for almost 4 years...and I am picky and would rather be alone verses settleing just to have someone.

In a way I guess I was in a poly relationship before was just not aware of it. I dated a guy for 8 years and for 4 of those years I shared him with another woman...but I wasnt aware of her....I found out about her. It's possible that I could be happy while sharing someone...I just can't say for certain.

I have enjoyed getting to know him, and I'm not ready to give up and walk away....from him or the situation....and I won't untill I decide what it is I can live with and be a part of.

Since you still don't know if this is what you want DO NOT move in with him and his girlfriend. What would you do if you decide you want to be monogamous, he doesn't, and you two break up?

I'd stick with your plan of moving to the city for work but keeping your own place until you know what you want.

In a way I guess I was in a poly relationship before was just not aware of it. I dated a guy for 8 years and for 4 of those years I shared him with another woman...but I wasnt aware of her....I found out about her. It's possible that I could be happy while sharing someone...I just can't say for certain.

That wasn't poly; he was cheating on you. Ethical non-monogamy and cheating are not one and the same and never will be.

As for you wanting him to himself, slow down. You're caught up right now, in emotions and flooding and good feels. When you can examine it more closely out of the lovey haze it'll be easier to see how that can't coincide unless he agrees to end his other relationship and move out. At this point y'all are not on the same page.

So while you may not wanna be criticized, no one here is about to tell you "Yeah! You go get your man girl!"

Won't happen. Don't expect it to. I would apologize for the lack of sugarcoating but believe me, it wouldn't help.

That wasn't poly; he was cheating on you. Ethical non-monogamy and cheating are not one and the same and never will be.

As for you wanting him to himself, slow down. You're caught up right now, in emotions and flooding and good feels. When you can examine it more closely out of the lovey haze it'll be easier to see how that can't coincide unless he agrees to end his other relationship and move out. At this point y'all are not on the same page.

So while you may not wanna be criticized, no one here is about to tell you "Yeah! You go get your man girl!"

Won't happen. Don't expect it to. I would apologize for the lack of sugarcoating but believe me, it wouldn't help.

I didn't expect anyone to say "yeah, go get your man girl" but what I did think I would get was advice on how to become poly or how to know if poly can be right for you...but again...not to be critized. And I did get some good advice from some and do appreciate it....but as I've said before, I'm new at this and honestly don't know what I'm doing...and am always open to suggestions and advice from those that know more about it than I do.

I didn't expect anyone to say "yeah, go get your man girl" but what I did think I would get was advice on how to become poly or how to know if poly can be right for you...but again...not to be critized.
Then perhaps you should have asked for advice on how to be poly rather than detailing an entirely wrong-headed situation and asking only:

Edit: Somewhat off-topic, but by a "girlfriend who is more than half his age" do you actually mean a girlfriend who is less than half his age or a girlfriend who is more than twice his age? Because otherwise I'm not sure what you're trying to say about him, her, or their relationship.

Last edited:
Then perhaps you should have asked for advice on how to be poly rather than detailing an entirely wrong-headed situation and asking only:

Edit: Somewhat off-topic, but by a "girlfriend who is more than half his age" do you actually mean a girlfriend who is less than half his age or a girlfriend who is more than twice his age? Because otherwise I'm not sure what you're trying to say about him, her, or their relationship.

Again I'm completely new to all of this...and I'll be the first to admit I have no clue how to ask the proper questions in order for others to give advice...if I worded it incorrectly I'm sorry for that...

Again I'm completely new to all of this...and I'll be the first to admit I have no clue how to ask the proper questions in order for others to give advice...if I worded it incorrectly I'm sorry for that...

Before I make a complete ass of myself, I will ask the question: Is English your first/native language or did you learn English later in life?

Because your question was in pretty plain English. I'm not sure how "asking the right questions" has to do with being "completely new" to poly. There are no "right questions", just relevant ones. It seemed from your original post that you did indeed ask the questions that were relevant, and you got answers that were likewise relevant.

If you want different answers, ask different questions. Don't get discouraged because people answered the exact question you asked.

Before I make a complete ass of myself, I will ask the question: Is English your first/native language or did you learn English later in life?

Because your question was in pretty plain English. I'm not sure how "asking the right questions" has to do with being "completely new" to poly. There are no "right questions", just relevant ones. It seemed from your original post that you did indeed ask the questions that were relevant, and you got answers that were likewise relevant.

If you want different answers, ask different questions. Don't get discouraged because people answered the exact question you asked.

Again I'm sorry for that...I will not ask any other questions. Again...thank you to those that did provide advice in your responses...I did appreciate that.

get out

honest if you feel that way you have no busy being in a poly relationship. jealousy is normal and it happens and it's all about how you with it that makes a poly relationship work. if your looking to move in just to break up a relationship you are in the wrong 100 percent

Back