etiquette for excerpting/linking to posts & threads here?

AggieSez

Hi.

I blog about poly/open relationships at SoloPoly.net, and this forum offers a wealth of insight and perspectives. It's also not a hidden forum, which means forum posts show up I. Google searches and can be easily linked to from anywhere.

If I'd like to mention a forum thread or a specific post in my blog, what's the etiquette here? Can I just go ahead & excerpt/link? Should I ask prior permission from the forum participants involved? Is such linking/excerpting frowned upon strongly here?

Thanks.

If I'd like to mention a forum thread or a specific post in my blog, what's the etiquette here? Can I just go ahead & excerpt/link? Should I ask prior permission from the forum participants involved? Is such linking/excerpting frowned upon strongly here?
Its not frowned upon to link posts from here elsewhere on the internet. However, in my opinion, I find it to be good manners to let the poster know that they have been quoted.

When people have informed me I have been keen to see where my words have gone and how the writer has interpreted what I have say. That being said, I realize that if I write on this forum it will be taken as the reader sees it and I no longer own the words. They are public words at that point and can and are used at the will of other people reading.

As an example: "be your own primary" was something I said years ago and is now a poly public quote. As is "going at the pace of the one who is struggling the most." I don't take ownership of these quotes anymore but am fascinated to follow where they go and who uses them where. It makes me feel like we are all in this together all creating our own take on what others say. :)

Thanks, Redpepper. Much appreciated

What about if I want to link to an entire discussion thread, rather than specific posts? Often that's useful to encourage people to read a range of perspectives. Could I just go ahead and link to that? Would it matter whether I started that thread?

Or would it be sufficient to append a post to that thread noting the context in which it was linked?

This would be just about linking to a thread, not about excerpting quotes from it.

Oh, and @redpepper: Love "be your own primary."

As a solo poly person, that's once of my fundamental tenets. I think it's sound advice for anyone, whether they're poly or not, and whether they have/want a primary partner or not. :)

What about if I want to link to an entire discussion thread, rather than specific posts? Often that's useful to encourage people to read a range of perspectives. Could I just go ahead and link to that? Would it matter whether I started that thread?

Or would it be sufficient to append a post to that thread noting the context in which it was linked?

This would be just about linking to a thread, not about excerpting quotes from it.
I don't see why not :)

Sounds good to me.

Back