Attracting monogamists

korindino

I'm sensing a phenomenon lately, and I wondered if this had happened to anyone else.

About a week ago, I finally got around to changing my relationship status on all my various networking sites. On my OkCupid account, I added a short disclaimer about my views on poly and my place in a poly relationship.

Since then I've been bombarded with messages, especially from guys who ask me about being poly, and mention that they're mono and definitely could never do the poly thing. One guy even had a line in his profile about how he was "completely monogamous." I talk to them, explain to them why I'm poly, let them know that I'm happy where I am. I encourage questions. I don't intend to "convert" anyone to poly--I really don't care that much. They don't seem to want to convert anyway.

But despite all this, I've been asked out on dates by several of these guys, and find myself being pursued in a way that doesn't seem completely platonic.

Do these people think they can turn me mono again? That I'll like them so much that I forget how much I love my boyfriend and care about the girl I'm courting? I can't believe they actually would...

Anyone else have this happen to them? I just find it strange.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I just find it strange.

Although this doesn't happen to me I would say you pose an interesting challenge to these men....kinda like a virgin LOL! Best to stay clear if they are saying they could never be with a poly person. Thanks for sharing this :)

"Anyone else have this happen to them? I just find it strange."

Yeah, I have. A cynical person would say they want sex. :p

The reflective person in me says you're embodying a fantasy they wish they could participate in but don't have the courage or desire to enact. I used to spend a lot of time online talking to fetishists who had the same issue ("my wife doesn't understand.. you're wonderful and open.. but I'd never leave her, though..")

My advice is to take it as a compliment to your attractiveness as a sexually aware and liberated woman, to politely decline, and to move on. There are a lot of wonderful poly men out there who'll love you for who you are instead of who they idealize you to be.

Last edited:
Did you Know?

...... Best to stay clear if they are saying they could never be with a poly person. Thanks for sharing this :)

Mono- did you know for sure that you could be with a poly person before you met Redpepper? Were you saying "I could be with a poly person" ? Just wondering!! Thanks !!

Uh huh

Yea, I'm inclined to agree with those who point to sex. It's a "little or no commitment" attraction - YOU are poly - so in contrast to their usual pursuits of mono mates - you offer the "what's good for the gander is good for the goose" option. Remember how little most of the population understands about poly concepts. For most when they hear it it just means lots of sex partners. And in a world of sound bite mentality - few will bother to research !

:)

GS

Mono- did you know for sure that you could be with a poly person before you met Redpepper? Were you saying "I could be with a poly person" ? Just wondering!! Thanks !!

Certainly not LOL! I didn't even know what poly was before meeting Redpepper. The idea of poly actually got harder to as my love for her deepened.

The only thing I really know is that I can be with her and she has a husband. That's all I know for sure....that and the fact that I ma completely in love with her :)

I am on that site as well.

Plenty of 'monogamous' men/women claiming they can`t deal with the poly lifestyle, but still saying they find us 'interesting' and wanting to go out.

It all boils down to sex. Many of them equate poly with being a swinger. Even if you give them literature, and correct them. In their eyes, you are outside the norm, and kinky, and saying it`s more relationship oriented, only makes us sound to them, like we protest to much.

..and while eventually, they want/desire Mrs.Right, they are not oppose to Mrs.Right-Now.

In fact, I have even heard a few state, that they worry less about sexual disease, with someone who identifies as Poly. Making the chase more intriguing, not less.

To each their own, I guess. I rid myself of those types quickly, and kindly. One can only educate those who truly wish to receive it.

"Anyone else have this happen to them? I just find it strange."

Yeah, I have. A cynical person would say they want sex. :p
Sometimes the cynical is still close to the mark.

Having seen some messages men send women on those sites in general, never mind poly being mentioned or not...it's not hard to see why some women may come to the conclusion that men are just a bunch of horndogs with barely enough mental capacity to string together a sentence of more than 5 words...and roughly the same vocabulary... usually starting with "Hi, do you wanna..."
Embarrassing.

Seems mentioning poly seems to be a "come get yer sex" beacon to the dim witted. It's not like they get the difference.
Many of them equate poly with being a swinger.

As I remember it he mentioned that he was impressed at how much I knew myself and what my needs are. He was impressed that I knew so much about my sexuality and was respectful that he was different from me yet equally as valid.

He was mostly curious as were most of the guys I meet on on-line dating sites, saying similar things as the OP said in their OK cupid profile.

There were definitely some guys that were looking for a woman in an "open relationship" (truthfully or not) that weren't getting her needs met sexually and wanted a quick fuck.... there are women out there like that and they thought I was one of them.

Since then I've been bombarded with messages, especially from guys who ask me about being poly, and mention that they're mono and definitely could never do the poly thing.

My first reaction to this was a guy writing to another guy saying "I'm not gay and I could never be with a guy, but..." ... and me thinking "well if I'm a guy and you don't like guys, then why the hell are you messaging me?"

There were definitely some guys that were looking for a woman in an "open relationship" (truthfully or not) that weren't getting her needs met sexually and wanted a quick fuck.... there are women out there like that and they thought I was one of them.

This.

If a guy wants just-sex, he would love to find someone who will give him lots of sex without expecting a relationship "in return." Because let's face it, the vast majority of women out there really are hunting for their husbands, with sex as the currency they must pay to spend time with potential partners. The guys probably meet a lot of single girls who claim not to be looking for a relationship, but then after spending a few nights together, start "wanting more" or to know "where this is going." They probably figure that if you're already in a relationship, that won't be an issue.

Heh, heh. I think there's a definite sexual dimorphism on this issue. What I hear is that mono men message poly women pretty frequently, and in a fairly Neanderthal manner. The reverse is not true.

My poly relationship has tight boundaries, as I've mentioned elsewhere -- one date evening a week. So, with the knowledge and encouragement of my lady love, I have been looking for other friendships to fill the voids.

On straight sites (PlentyOfFish and Yahoo) when not self-identifying as poly I could draw responses easily. But that felt dishonest so I very quickly backed off the contacts, killed my profiles, and came to OkCupid and posted as poly.

Now it's quite hard to get a response.

Mono women in the age bracket I'm searching (45 - 60) are definitely NOT interested in somebody who needs multiple relationships. They do NOT respond to messages from me, despite the fact that I wax poetic about honesty and feelings, post pictures of my seriously cute dog, and am demonstrably not out-of-shape and flabby (although my face leaves something to be desired beauty-wise).

So yes, I mostly look only for women who self-identify as poly. In my geographical area, though, there are only a small handful who are active on OKC or on PolyMatchmaker.

It would be discouraging if I wasn't so happy with my life!

Last edited:
Heh, heh. I think there's a definite sexual dimorphism on this issue. What I hear is that mono men message poly women pretty frequently, and in a fairly Neanderthal manner. The reverse is not true.

My poly relationship has tight boundaries, as I've mentioned elsewhere -- one date evening a week. So, with the knowledge and encouragement of my lady love, I have been looking for other friendships to fill the voids.

On straight sites (PlentyOfFish and Yahoo) when not self-identifying as poly I could draw responses easily. But that felt dishonest so I very quickly backed off the contacts, killed my profiles, and came to OkCupid and posted as poly.

Now it's quite hard to get a response.

Mono women in the age bracket I'm searching (45 - 60) are definitely NOT interested in somebody who needs multiple relationships. They do NOT respond to messages from me, despite the fact that I wax poetic about honesty and feelings, post pictures of my seriously cute dog, and am demonstrably not out-of-shape and flabby (although my face leaves something to be desired beauty-wise).

So yes, I mostly look only for women who self-identify as poly. In my geographical area, though, there are only a small handful who are active on OKC or on PolyMatchmaker.

It would be discouraging if I wasn't so happy with my life!

Heh.

Back when I was in an open relationship with my then gf, when I got hit on by girls I didn't fancy, I found the single fastest way to turn them off was just to honestly say "I'm in an open relationship". Response was generally: "Fuck that!" :shrug:

LOL, i agree with mono I think you pose a challenge to them. but i also think that they are curious and attracted to your beautiful heart...
I myself am mono and was introduced to poly through friends (who i later dated. well i dated the man anyways LOL )
i never had the intention to "convert" my freinds back to monogamy... he just, well there was somethign about his views on love that atracted me to him. somethign about being able to have a big enough heart to love more then one person wholly and at the same time ... it drew me in. perhaps thats what these men see in you korindino? they see the beautiful heart and want a closer inspection, not to turn you but to see just what makes you tick and perhaps just maybe....fall for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely experienced this when my hubby and I first started exploring the idea of an open marriage. We weren't familiar with the term 'poly' in the beginning, we just wanted to meet people and date and see where things went. Knowing that I was married and open to meeting other men opened the floodgates on aff and other dating accounts. I'm not exactly a supermodel, but there was no lack of men interested. In fact, I met my bf through aff and he was the first one to message me and say 'Hi, how are you doing?" instead of sending me a cock shot :p And his grammar was perfect *sigh* ;)

booklady,
what... no cock shot? and perfect grammar? i dunno, you make those monogamist boys that were after you sound boring ;-) just joking. sorry, i joke about EVERYTHING, feel free to tease me back. ;-)
its strange, you'd think that poly would make those of us who are monogamists think that there were relationship issues or commitment issues and want to run away screaming..... but since poly isn't about sex only, well...it does the exact opposite...attracts.
altho, it is also one of the most difficult relationships for monogamists. after all, they are only seeing their poly partner. on that note I'd like to flip swicth this discussion... after "attracting" a monogamist, has anybody ever been accused of trying to "convert" a monogamist to polyamory? not that you can "convert" , that's not what i mean... i just wonder if anybody has been accused of it? a cpl of the information sites i went to actually said that was a concern to be addressed in most poly-mono relationships.

Ha ha Honestheart :p Actually, my bf had never been in a poly relationship before but knew right from the beginning that I was married and not wanting an 'affair'. We all kind of learned poly together :)

Honestly, though, I think most poly people have been mono at some point, if not nominally then at least functionally. I guess it is possible to open someone up to the idea of polyamory even if they come in thinking they're "definitely monogamous."

Also, booklady, I know what you mean. I find myself immediately attracted to people who sent me messages with perfect spelling and mechanics. :)

Back