Somegeezer's Blog Of Life

Somegeezer

I figured I should start one of these for you guys to follow my boring journey.

As some of you, mostly regulars, may have read; I was torn between 2 mono women and had decided to get the best friendship I could out of them. Unfortunately, only a week or 2 ago, I ended my friendship with one of them. I felt I was being messed around and when i asked simple questions, I was getting half answers or subject changes. I felt it was best to end it before either of us got hurt.

Good news though, I'm becoming close to a few newer people. One I've known for a while, but only recently had chance to talk with more often. I've actually talked to her about my chosen poly lifestyle and she seems interested and understanding of it. I'm doubting she'll turn over to poly anytime soon, but she certainly sees it for what it is and loves what poly means to me. =]

In unrelated to poly news, I'm trying to find a job with no luck as of yet. I really need what money I can get, so i can go back to college and study film and photography. Seems like a dream further away than I thought it would be. I'm needing about £3000 just for basic equipment alone. Without a job, I can just about pay for travel right now.

I'll update you guys when something worthy of talking about changes in my situation. until then, feel free to comment on this blog. It's good to have a chat with you all.

I figured I should probably give you guys a little more insight of who I am. I've had a few people telling me I don't talk about ME often enough and figured maybe this would be a good place to maybe be more out there with it.

Questions are much appreciated and I will try to answer them all as well as I can.

To begin with, I am 18. A lot of people already know this about me. Those of you who don't, yes, I am young. Please, don't treat me any differently, I am not a child. I am 19 on the 10th of January. Not long now. But my birthdays have never really meant anything other than adding a number to myself. They feel like any other day.

I am English. I live in England in a city called Leeds. Most people I talk to on here are American and seem to find that fascinating. It really isn't anything special. My life is as dull and boring as in any country. =P My English humour most likely goes over a lot of your heads though. :p

I am a musician. I don't make any money at it, but i wish I could. My main instrument is bass. I also play kit, guitar, piano/keyboard and steel pans quite well. There are too many instruments to begin listing that I would like to learn in the future.
My main style of music is Metal. Is the genre I enjoy listening to and playing most. I also enjoy listening to Rock, Trance, Ambient, Jazz, Punk, Funk and Industrial... as well as others I can't think of from the top of my head.
I have played in many bands, but at the moment only have 1, plus my solo work. If you'd like to check them out - http://myspace.com/roadkillwakefield

I have recently finished college. I studied a National Diploma in Popular Music. I came out with grades worse than I wanted. I have decided to find a job to fund new equipment to create a portfolio of videos and pictures so I can go back to college to study Film and Photography; something I did well in back in high school.

More in line with the subject of the site, I have always been in mono relationships. I have always, deep down, been poly, but only really learnt this about myself in November I think. Since then, I have been reading up a lot on it and learning exactly what it means to me. I think I'm at a stage where I understand who I am a lot more than I did. I've yet to be a part of a poly relationship, but this thread is where I will give all the juicy details as it were. =P

Again, all questions are welcomed. It makes it easier to talk about myself when I have a subject to concentrate on. The more precise your question, the easier I will be able to answer.

19 is awfully young to have finished college. At what age do your contemporaries TYPICALLY "start" and "finish" college and high school? And how many years does it take to get a "college degree"? Here in the US, people can "start college" at any age, but the common-denominator is usually that they must complete a high school diploma OR equivalency test, known as a "GED". So, the typical high-school student would enter college at age 17 or 18, and a two-year college degree is called an "Associate's Degree" and a four-year college degree is called a "Bachelor's" or a "Baccalaureate". Then we go on to "graduate" school, which are the Master's, Ph. D.'s, Doctorate's, MD's, JD's, and so on.

Also, I thought that in the UK, "High school" is called "secondary" school, and "college" is called "A-levels". Have Brits started adopting American terminology, or are you just using those terms for our benefit?

I'm not sure how many English/ UK residents are on this forum, but there are a lot of Canadians and a few Australians too.

19 is awfully young to have finished college. At what age do your contemporaries TYPICALLY "start" and "finish" college and high school? And how many years does it take to get a "college degree"? Here in the US, people can "start college" at any age, but the common-denominator is usually that they must complete a high school diploma OR equivalency test, known as a "GED". So, the typical high-school student would enter college at age 17 or 18, and a two-year college degree is called an "Associate's Degree" and a four-year college degree is called a "Bachelor's" or a "Baccalaureate". Then we go on to "graduate" school, which are the Master's, Ph. D.'s, Doctorate's, MD's, JD's, and so on.

Also, I thought that in the UK, "High school" is called "secondary" school, and "college" is called "A-levels". Have Brits started adopting American terminology, or are you just using those terms for our benefit?

I'm not sure how many English/ UK residents are on this forum, but there are a lot of Canadians and a few Australians too.

College here, starts at 16, as soon as you finish high school. You can go into "sixth form" which is a high school environment with college qualifications, or you can go into a dedicated college. I went into a college specifically for music [Leeds College of Music] which also does university degrees.

Typically, you are in college for 2 years, but I know many people who couldn't get directly onto their main courses and had to do a 1 year "introductory course". I was lucky not to have to do that.

There is no such thing as a "college degree". Typically you do your A levels, which are a type of course and not another name for college. I did a BTEC, which is the equivalent of 3 A levels in one course.

What you're describing as college is closer to our university. There you earn degrees. I wanted to get in to do a Foundation degree, which is a 2 year course. Then, if it were good enough, I could have done a 3rd year to "top it up" to a full degree. [Bachelor of -insert subject-]... After that, you can do Masters and Doctorates and other such qualifications.

High school and secondary school are the exact same thing. Secondary school is used a lot less commonly.

There are indeed a few Canadians and Australians too. Strangely, they don't seem to make a fuss about the English. The average American seems to get excited over it though. I find it strange.

"Make a fuss about the English" how? Are you referring to how our media acts like everything the royal family does is "news"?

I really don't understand that either. maybe I'm some kind of freak...

About the difference between college and university: In the US, "college" has historically referred to smaller institutions that focus their degree programs in one or two areas, while "university" has historically referred to larger institutions that encompass "colleges" within their milieu. For example, Massachusetts College of Art specializes in Studio Art, Fine Art, Art History and Education, etc. Harvard University has degree programs in all of those things, but it also has almost every other field of study imaginable, as well as graduate and professional schools, research, and of course Continuing Ed. Although recently, there has been a campaign to have ALL institutions that offer 4-year degrees referred to as "Universities" because "college" has come to signify the 2-year "Associate's" degree. Maybe it IS because of the international culture of education.

"Make a fuss about the English" how? Are you referring to how our media acts like everything the royal family does is "news"?

I really don't understand that either. maybe I'm some kind of freak...

About the difference between college and university: In the US, "college" has historically referred to smaller institutions that focus their degree programs in one or two areas, while "university" has historically referred to larger institutions that encompass "colleges" within their milieu. For example, Massachusetts College of Art specializes in Studio Art, Fine Art, Art History and Education, etc. Harvard University has degree programs in all of those things, but it also has almost every other field of study imaginable, as well as graduate and professional schools, research, and of course Continuing Ed. Although recently, there has been a campaign to have ALL institutions that offer 4-year degrees referred to as "Universities" because "college" has come to signify the 2-year "Associate's" degree. Maybe it IS because of the international culture of education.

I have no idea what the midea is like over there. I just often get Americans saying "oh wow you're all English and stuff, that soooo cute! Speak all English for me!" as if my accent is some sort of circus act. =P

That college and university differences slightly confused me, but I think I understand what you mean. =P College here is just like a bridge between high school and university though. High school you study pretty much every subject, college you choose a few subjects you're interested in, or a blanket subject [like music] and learn everything within that subject. Then in university, you begin to pick specific studies. I would have gone with performance and composing most likely. The higher the degree, the more specific it is too. Doing a doctorate, I believe you have to write a huge dissertation on something nobody has studied before. So you have to be extremely specific at that point.

Sounds difficult, but I've got a few years until I think about going to university again. Going back to college to do something I know I can do well in. But first, a job to pay for all my equipment is needed.

That college and university differences slightly confused me, but I think I understand what you mean. =P

Oh, it confuses the shit out of us 'mericans too :).

Have you considered going into Pshycology also? How many 18/19 year old men like listening to and giving relationship advice? You seem to enjoy it and are quite good at it.

Oh, it confuses the shit out of us 'mericans too :).

Have you considered going into Pshycology also? How many 18/19 year old men like listening to and giving relationship advice? You seem to enjoy it and are quite good at it.
I adore Psychology. I would love to study it for my own personal benefit at some point. Maybe once I'm done with all my education and have a proper job, I'll study Psychology part time or something. I don't see a career in it though. I enjoy listening to people and giving my advice for free. I don't feel it is something anyone should have to pay good money for.

LOL - Somegeezer, the Canadians looooove the Aussie accent :D I am constantly being complimented and having people ask me to talk... a couple of times my fiance passed his phone around so his buddies could hear me and I could hear them in the background (and directly) going "oh wow, yeah like that is really sexy... "

LOL - it's just the difference in sounds - I looove the Canadian accent so it works quite well (god help us all when my teenage girls get here though :p)

LOL - Somegeezer, the Canadians looooove the Aussie accent :D I am constantly being complimented and having people ask me to talk... a couple of times my fiance passed his phone around so his buddies could hear me and I could hear them in the background (and directly) going "oh wow, yeah like that is really sexy... "

LOL - it's just the difference in sounds - I looove the Canadian accent so it works quite well (god help us all when my teenage girls get here though :p)

Canadians love Australian accents? I did not know that. I suppose you understand what it is like with Americans loving English accents then. =P
Canadians and Australians have a great sense of humour similar to the English. =D I think Americans find it very hard to understand a lot of the time though.

An accent I really love is the Irish accent. They're only right next door, but they have great accents. I'm not the sort to get excited over an accent though. =P I just find the sound of them quite sweet. Especially in Irish Folk music. Beautiful sounds. =]

LOL - my fiance and I have an ongoing Irish accent game (we both are quite okay at mimicing the accent and have a great time roleplaying with it - although I sometimes slip into scots and we go on with that...)

I should probably mention he has an irish background, and I have a scots ancestry so the accents come along quite naturally for us on top of our natural ones :D

Haha. I have no Irish or Scottish in me as far as I know. But both accents are quite common in England as we're so close to each other.

I do have Welsh hertiage at some point though... and a little bit of Dutch I believe. But mainly English.

I have lived in Leeds all my life. Been all up and down the country [I say up, but I'm pretty close to the top as it is!] on holidays and such... But Always lived in Leeds. Been in the same house since I was 5/nearly 6... Around the end of December strangely. =P 13 years in about a week and a half's time. =D

Only been out of the country to France, Spain and Belgium. I'd love to travel more once I have the money though.

Hah ... I may have totally slept with a guy who had a sexy accent purely for my bucket list. :D
Bucket list? I'm guessing that's like a list of things to do before you die? Quite a silly one for the list though. Hope it was a fun time for you. =D

Bucket list? I'm guessing that's like a list of things to do before you die? Quite a silly one for the list though. Hope it was a fun time for you. =D

Well, technically it was part of the "F*cket" list. Which is a list of sexual things you'd like to do before you die.

Yes, completely frivolous, but hey, guys are allowed to be gaga over ... certain physical aspects of girls. So I indulged. :)

Well, technically it was part of the "F*cket" list. Which is a list of sexual things you'd like to do before you die.

Yes, completely frivolous, but hey, guys are allowed to be gaga over ... certain physical aspects of girls. So I indulged. :)
Sounds like fun. I'm not really one for sex games. =P I do like making lists though. =D I sound so boring. =P

I don't see a problem with you indulging though. It can be very fun for a lot of people. ^_^

Sounds like fun. I'm not really one for sex games. =P I do like making lists though. =D I sound so boring. =P

I don't see a problem with you indulging though. It can be very fun for a lot of people. ^_^

Hah. This was many a year ago when I first went off to university. Okay, not soooo long ago, but I was definitely a different person then.

Hah. This was many a year ago when I first went off to university. Okay, not soooo long ago, but I was definitely a different person then.
Seems like most people have all the fun in their younger years and settle down as they get older. I prefer to just have constant flow of good times. =P

Seems like most people have all the fun in their younger years and settle down as they get older. I prefer to just have constant flow of good times. =P

Sorry, but if some of us that are over 40, tried to keep the pace we did at age 20, I think we would hang ourselves out of pure exhaustion.:p

Sorry, but if some of us that are over 40, tried to keep the pace we did at age 20, I think we would hang ourselves out of pure exhaustion.:p
Hehe. I have no experience being 40 yet. =P I don't particularly look forward to it, but I'm sure I won't be doing much different. Like I say, I enjoy keeping things constant, rather than having all my fun now. I don't even see the fun in going out and getting drunk out of my head every weekend. Every couple months maybe.

Back