Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 PM

My proposal to build a wall between the US and Canada, at the border, was, of course, a joke.

But it is a telling joke, really. Think clearly for a few moments about what, precisely, has the president wanting to build a wall at the Mexican border ... without even mentioning the outrageous porosity of the Northern border! Gawd knows what those Canadians are smuggling in or out!

Quote:
Guarding the border here is tricky because Derby Line and the neighbouring Quebec town of Stanstead comprise one community where homes and buildings happen to be bisected by an international border.

The community library was purposely built straddling the border to serve people in both communities. Quebecers simply cross an international boundary marked outside the library by pots of petunias. Occasionally, illegal border crossers will walk, or even drive, across near the library. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...orthern-border
Lol, if you walk in the front door of the library and walk out the back, you've just illegally crossed the border!

But more seriously, let us say the two governments get serious about this illegal border crossing. Would they build a wall between the two countries? Of course not! Why? Because that would be absurd.

But isn't a wall between the US and Mexico equally absurd? Answer: Not if you're Donald Trump. (Nothing is absurd to Donald Trump.)

Besides, most of the US / Canada border must certainly be basically wilderness -- or at least wide open, undeveloped forest areas in the mountains and such. There are not even roads in much of it. Border patrol here would be done with backpackers against backpackers. Before a wall could be built in these places there would have to be, at minimum, a road.

Last edited by River; 08-14-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:04 PM

Scientists say Trump's border wall would devastate wildlife habitat
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03...s-border-wall/

U.S./Mexico Border Wall Puts Animals In Danger Of Extinction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xTxh96Jbc

Other species lives matter.

At the end of this video, an interviewee explains that the wall (or fence) is "just a symbol". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6wiT3ElVo

A low estimate cost, in dollars -- not wildlife lives or ecosystems -- is twenty five billion dollars. That's a pretty costly "symbol".

Last edited by River; 08-14-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Functionally speaking, a border wall attempts to do two things. One is to stem migration—people coming into this country for greater opportunity. But only when we stop hiring will they stop coming.

The other is to keep out drugs—but Americans are the ones creating the demand. Until we address the problem successfully on our end, the cartels will find ways to get through. A wall doesn’t stop the reasons that this is happening.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...states-mexico/
If the real objective is to prevent Mexicans and folks South from coming to the USA and "taking American jobs" then all that would be necessary to solve that problem (if, indeed it is a problem) is to enforce existing US employment and labor laws (or, perhaps, improve them). That should have more success than this wall idea ever could.

That leaves the drug smuggling problem. But if we take an honest look at that, we'll realize that (a) no wall could keep the drugs from coming in, (b) a large chunk of the drugs actually originate within US borders, (c) Why not then build a wall at the Canada / US border? (Surely some enterprising Canadians will take over if the Mexican route is closed off..., and so on. Also, it is becoming increasingly clear, worldwide, that the Drug War cannot be won, and that other approaches to legitimate drug problems are needed. The drug war is widely regarded as either lost or unwinable. Time for some other approach.

A call for border walls should be regarded as a symptom of a greater problem than the supposed cause for the "need" of a wall. The direction of solution for that problem must simply be making friends with the nations (and people) on the other side of the wall. If America doesn't want to be flooded with refugees from elsewhere, let it begin by ending its policies which can only lead to the creation of refugees from elsewhere.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
This wall must not be built!
Agree. For a myriad of reasons, but this one is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
It may require some non-violent direct action to stop it, though.
Why is our country so FUCKING STUPID? I really, really thought that the idea of Trump presidency would bring everyone to their senses. I was wrong. The fact that their are WOMEN who voted for this misogynistic asshat astounds me. I get the whole "shake things up" bit (I registered Republican for a hot second {chills} so I could vote for Ross Perot) but to hand the reins to Trump?!??!?{I have to go off and quietly vomit now.}

[If you are a Trump supporter, don't tell me, I will think less of you.]
SLeW: platonic hetero girlfriend and BFF
MrClean: hetero mono male, almost ex-lover-friend, ex-FWBs to SLeW, friends with MrS; live-in with Katniss
+ "others" = FBs, FWBs, lover-friends, platonic G/BFs, boytoys, etc.

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Spaminator

There isn't going to be any wall. It's just a pipe dream. Some would argue it's a crack pipe. It's a rallying call for racists. I'm not talking about just the KKK types. Average Joe Citizen is racist and most don't even realize it. The Wall calls to them. It gives them an excuse to hate us for not getting what they want.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post
There isn't going to be any wall. It's just a pipe dream. Some would argue it's a crack pipe.
That's what almost everyone said about the idea that Trump would win his party nomination. Then it's what they said about him winning the presidency. It's what I said about the level of likelihood that the Citizen's United case in the Supreme Court would be decided as it was -- f**king impossible! It turns out that I have a crappy crystal ball. I'm no frigging good at predicting the future. I suspect most of us aren't. I'm WORRIED.

Every comic on tv laughed long and hard about the preposterous idea of a Trump presidency. I laughed with them!

It's worth mentioning that about a third of the wall / fence has already been built. It's been under construction during the Trump fiasco, already. It's happening as we speak. Trump is simply trying to complete a project begun by Bush.

I don't think we can wave this one away. I think we should stand up and actively fight it. But I'm not talking about writing letters to congress. That will get us nowhere. Other means of resistance are required. I don't know what, exactly, but congress clearly doesn't care about what Americans want. At all.

Last edited by River; 08-15-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:33 AM

Default Transgender Woman Wins Vermont Governor’s Primary

Interesting news story from yesterday's New Your Times (8/14/18)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/u...t-vermont.html
Bouncingbetty: ldr girlfriend to Al99, poly, pansexual female, early 30's
Ben: Becky's medium-ldr bf, heterosexual male, 40's

My Introductory Post - An Unexpected Introduction to Poly.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 PM

Donald Trump's reckoning has arrived

Richard Wolffe

After Michael Cohen’s day in court, the president is in very real legal jeopardy. It’s now conceivable he could be forced to resign

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-plea-bargain
Old 08-23-2018, 01:39 AM

"truth isn't truth"

Huh?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/20/polit...ess/index.html
Old 08-25-2018, 05:21 PM

To Force Billionaires Off Welfare, Sanders Tax Would Make Corporations Fund 100% of Public Assistance Their Low-Paid Workers Receive

"I don't believe that ordinary Americans should be subsidizing the wealthiest person in the world because you pay your employees inadequate wages."

by Jake Johnson, staff writer
Common Dreams

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...und-100-public

Tags
opinion, politics, religion, sex, taboo