How long have you been poly?

openbj

I've noticed that there is a huge range of longevity here in the forums. So I'm wondering, how long have each of you been poly or in a poly relationship?

Last edited:
Honestly? Most my life, at one point religion said it was wrong, at one point I actualy gave a damn what society thought, at one point I just thought that was how it was supposed to be, at one point I was actively just didn't have a name for it, when I got married it was a mix of this is how it should be and I can't trust him to be honest so how would it work and I'm too fucked up in my own self image and health to deal with him seeing anyone else let alone me doing it, and now for the last yr and a half I have learned to let me be and Karma be Karma and just live life.

So in short-20 some odd years or 1.5 yrs depending on how you look at it.

Hmm. Coming up on 16 years I guess? Hubs and I have been together for almost 11 and I was poly with ex-hubs for about 5ish.

I haven't really had a lot of relationships though, now that I think about it. I am always open to them, but most of the time the people I hit it off with have been in a relationship and NOT poly (and I don't do that)-- so it's more been a matter of not finding someone I am attracted to, hit it off with, returns the feelings and is free to follow up.

I also had a period of about 4 years where my health was tanking, and then going through the process of healing everything up. So during that time, my energy levels were low, stress was high, and it was hard enough getting through the day. As we all know, when you're not feeling well, this is not the time to be adding other people! :)

Right now I'm open to the possibility-- but not actively searching. If I meet someone that would be really nice, but if I don't, I'm ok with that, too.

We have at least two other threads on this. Damn! Don't remember the tag. Anyone, anyone?

For me, all my relationship life pretty much, although I get better at it all the way along. I came out as non-mongamous in my last marriage, 17 years ago.

I think I have been my whole life but only realized it about 11 years ago about the same time my lady did. But we have only been in a poly relationship that lasted about 4 to 5 years before life intruded and we had to split. We are still looking for a new compatible partner. But all good things come to those who are patient.

Setxfamily, oh my goodness!! I LOVE your avatar pic!!! We're displaced from TX right now, but hopefully not much longer :) We lived in the Austin area and miss it terribly!

Back