Interested in starting or joining and existing commune

nerdyred

I am interested in starting or joining a commune. After taking some time this thought just wont go away. Are their any people here who are also interested in this? Shout out if you are interested in sharing your thoughts. Contact me directly if you want to have a discussion that is a bit less public.

I am interested in starting or joining a commune. After taking some time this thought just wont go away. Are their any people here who are also interested in this? Shout out if you are interested in sharing your thoughts. Contact me directly if you want to have a discussion that is a bit less public.

I'm not looking for a public commune but the concept has always been of interest to me. I guess my main hesitation is hanging out with smelly hippies (and shortly thereafter becoming a smelly hippie). Not that I have an issue with smelly hippies conceptually, just not sure I'd want one sitting next to me while I'm trying to eat :p

Kidding aside, I spent some time with a metamour this week(end) who frequents Burning Man themed events. THAT sounds like fun because it's similar to how I imagine a commune working but I get to come home - take a shower - and sleep in my bed once it's all over.

Marcus, Burning Man is the Naked Emperor. Tickets cost hundreds of dollars just to get in, there are uniformed and undercover cops everywhere, you get searched for 2ply toilet paper, you have to use porta potties, there's no water except what you bring in with you to bathe AND drink AND wash... Did someone mention "smelly hippies"? Ya, i'm sure the Patchouli Brigade has a strong presence at BM.

I have never been to one, but i saw some documentaries and i have talked to people who go. According to one report, the above description i gave applies to the "national" gathering; there are regional ones which are less oppressive and more in the spirit of communism (i said communism!) in practice.

But i'm just repeating what i heard. I'm not sure how much provenance i should provide for all of you folks out there in digital fiber-optic satellite-land.

I've always thought staying at Findhorn must be an awesome experience. Burning Man does not appeal to me in the least.

Nowadays they call communes "intentional communities." I don't think they're all about being hippies. Many are just focused on owning land together or working and sharing your work/profits for the good of all. They have magazines out there with directories to find them.

Here is the link to http://www.ic.org/ The Intentional Communities Directory. I have wanted to live communally for 20 years now but finding a community with the ethics and lifestyle you would want is increasingly difficult as you get older (and more used to your creature comforts).

Back