Positive Role Models for Monos

Okay. I know who GnR is, but when you open a door and someone is singing an inch from your face, and then talking a mile a minute, its hard to distinguish what song is being sung, know what I mean? :p

Agreed that any mono attempting a mono/poly relationship is to be commended. For that matter, any poly attempting a mono/poly relationship is to be commended. I know many poly folk who have worked just as hard. Its not easy for anyone. If you can make it work that's amazing. If you can make it work and be happy? That's a miracle I think... Very rare. As rare as unicorns.

I spent it largely trying to convince my son-in-law that I'm not a victim in a relationship with a guy who is "getting to have his cake and eat it too" (hate that saying).
But how?

I suspect that, after a couple too many refusals on his part to accept that I were fine and not being taken advantage of, I'd just offer up something along the lines of "Pardon me, your ignorance is showing." At that point, it would cease to be a topic of conversation available to him.

I would like to point out that Indy thinks he could go either way; he's just had yet to practice poly on his end. He's more of an outstanding role model for "men who want to be poly, but gals our age are looking for THE ONE." (Andy4700, I'm talking to you.:p)

I don't know that I could go either way. I crave another close relationship deeply and poly really feels natural to me, but I do like what Indy posted...

I have accepted that until I find someone willing to be in the role of an OSO that this is my life as I choose. I love TP and because of that I will continue to search and if I don't find, I am perfectly happy just being her husband

I need to learn to work on this. I need to learn to be glad the door for a 3rd is open in my life, and to be happy as a "mono by default" until someone perfect walks through it.

Maybe a new years resolution for me?

I do like this place. I can't tell you how much I have learned about myself through the thoughts, feeling and experiences you all choose to take the time to share.

I don't know that I could go either way. I crave another close relationship deeply and poly really feels natural to me, but I do like what Indy posted...

Oh, sorry, I meant that he's having difficulty finding someone else, just as you've lamented. I didn't mean to imply you should be happy not being poly. :eek:

Oh, sorry, I meant that he's having difficulty finding someone else, just as you've lamented. I didn't mean to imply you should be happy not being poly. :eek:

No, I understand TP. :) I Just mean I can't honestly say I can go either way by choice. I am really craving other close relationships in my life at the moment and struggle with feeling depressed at the lack of prospects.

I am glad to know I am not alone in the 20 something and searching boat. :)

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic. :D

I think what I've learned about people's reactions to my mono/poly marriage is that it always comes out of "how they would feel" rather than my actual circumstance or how I feel. Projection is almost always the default response because people tend to try to put themselves in your shoes.

For example- People who have been cheated on assume I'm being cheated on.
People who have endured emotional abuse think I'm being emotionally abused.
My best friend's response (a nurse and a christian) was to give me an STDs AND a Bible lesson.

I have come to terms with the initial response almost always being negative and out of projection. Sometimes I address it briefly. Sometimes I ignore it. And in the end many people get their heads out of their own *space* and are finally able to ask you how you feel in your unique circumstance.

My best friend finally came around and even apologized for her initial response.

So, I don't take the initial response as "the response" anymore- just a hurdle to get over for true understanding.

I think what I've learned about people's reactions to my mono/poly marriage is that it always comes out of "how they would feel" rather than my actual circumstance or how I feel. Projection is almost always the default response because people tend to try to put themselves in your shoes.

For example- People who have been cheated on assume I'm being cheated on.
People who have endured emotional abuse think I'm being emotionally abused.
My best friend's response (a nurse and a christian) was to give me an STDs AND a Bible lesson.

I have come to terms with the initial response almost always being negative and out of projection. Sometimes I address it briefly. Sometimes I ignore it. And in the end many people get their heads out of their own *space* and are finally able to ask you how you feel in your unique circumstance.

My best friend finally came around and even apologized for her initial response.

So, I don't take the initial response as "the response" anymore- just a hurdle to get over for true understanding.

Very, very true. I have come to the same conclusion. You have been posting some very cool "monocorn" stuff lately and I would have engaged more but we are currently moving country and my life is currently insane. I just wanted you to know that while I'm not responding I am reading it and it makes immense sense to me and mirrors pretty much my own experiences and discoveries in a poly/mono relationship.

I applaud you for being able to adapt a long term relationship to polydom. I had to adapt a new one which had a different set of issues. We've been apart for a month now in our migration process and it has reinforced the correctness of my choice to stay and work through polyamory rather than run. Life is just not the same without him and I don't really feel like me. Thankfully I have now booked my ticket and so there are only 8 days until we are together again.

Very, very true. I have come to the same conclusion. You have been posting some very cool "monocorn" stuff lately and I would have engaged more but we are currently moving country and my life is currently insane. I just wanted you to know that while I'm not responding I am reading it and it makes immense sense to me and mirrors pretty much my own experiences and discoveries in a poly/mono relationship.

I applaud you for being able to adapt a long term relationship to polydom. I had to adapt a new one which had a different set of issues. We've been apart for a month now in our migration process and it has reinforced the correctness of my choice to stay and work through polyamory rather than run. Life is just not the same without him and I don't really feel like me. Thankfully I have now booked my ticket and so there are only 8 days until we are together again.

I may have to look you up and say g'day when you get here :D - I'll be down Brissy way in February :D

@ FlameKat: That would be soooo cool. I love this board but feel quite isolated down here at the bottom of the world. I will be a resident of Brisbane as of 16/1/11 so feel free to message me and catch up.

@ FlameKat: That would be soooo cool. I love this board but feel quite isolated down here at the bottom of the world. I will be a resident of Brisbane as of 16/1/11 so feel free to message me and catch up.

I will be on a flying visit (literally :p), coming in for a conference... not sure how long it will go for - last one I flew in at 9am... left that day at 5pm... but I would love to meet up. I'll message you when I have firmer dates and times :D

I think what I've learned about people's reactions to my mono/poly marriage is that it always comes out of "how they would feel" rather than my actual circumstance or how I feel. Projection is almost always the default response because people tend to try to put themselves in your shoes....

I think this is pretty poignant, and I had not thought of it in these terms; yes I assumed they were projecting their own values onto the situation but I did not consider as part of the thought process that there would be an attempt to understand through putting themselves in the position.

I cannot say that the predominant response has been negative, there have been some, but for the most part it's either a thanks but no thanks from potential women to date or it's been a curiosity to friends.

I've tried to stop selling Poly to people because ultimately it would be like selling seating on the Titanic to some; people are set enough in their notions that it's much easier to just put it out there and let it be. Ultimately if I worry about how everyone is going to react I'm reliably sure I'd go insane.

I need to...be glad the door for a 3rd is open in my life, and to be happy as a "mono by default" until someone perfect walks through it.

This pretty much encapsulates my feelings. I don't think love is a finite resources nor is affection, so I am open to a poly relationship for myself because I have seen how it has benefited TP but if it doesn't happen for me then no big deal.

Hmm, the first time I visited this forum and saw his handle, I immediately made the connection to Princess Bride but didn't think it was wrong, just an intentional play on the name.

Nope! He originally signed up on his phone, and it autocorrected Inigo to Indigo. :p

I like to tease him about it because it's one of his favourite movies.

Back