Official Greeter

What does NPA stand for?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
What does NPA stand for?
No Pants Association.

I have no idea but couldn't resist snarking a bit.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Official Greeter

Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
What does NPA stand for?
No Party Affiliation.

Though no pants association would fit too
Old 11-29-2017, 03:00 PM

I'm not saying, "so what?" in the sense that I don't care or that I don't think that national politics affect me, I just feel very powerless in the face of it. I suspect manipulations of the game that, like even if we uncover them and point at them and demand change, somehow nothing gets done. They could PROVE voter fraud, but what will come of it if they do? I mean if utter absolute ironclad proof were found and presented to the American press, that our election was complete BS, what would happen? Would it be reported by the "credible" news sources? Would it be viewed by anyone who doesn't want to believe it, as simply more "fake news" from "whining crybaby liberal snowflakes?" Would anything HAPPEN? Would investigators be fired or vanished? Would the current holders of power just go right on holding it? So in the face of a system that can be manipulated by those far more powerful than I...I say...with a tired and resigned voice, "so what?" It sucks. I'd love to know the truth and to see just action follow it. But I don't have much hope of that really happening.

And now I'm afraid that "they" (they being the bigtime players) have another weapon in their arsenal. While it is my general policy to believe and support women who come forward with stories of sexual misconduct, assault, etc. it's a worry that people can be bought. And a woman who has strong leanings or connections to a group could be persuaded to "come forward" with something completely fabricated, just to take down an opponent. And no one would have any way of knowing the truth of it, because in legitimate cases proof is rare anyhow. Which only further muddies the waters of getting actual reckoning, safety, or justice for actual victims of sexual misconduct, so now what? Am I pointing to any particular case in the news and speculating that this is the case? NO. Am I saying that I would not put it past people to use this? YES. And I look at my own reactions...when the accused is a Republican, I feel like, well, these people are savages. Look at the President. They clearly have no idea how to behave civilly anyhow, and I feel a little vindicated. Easy, too easy, to believe when it confirms my own biases. Then this morning it was Matt Lauer and I don't know. I just don't know. If someone claimed that a woman was paid by some operative on Trumpo's side to take down a figure of a news org he hates, I would find it too easy to believe that. I will be very interested to see if any such story finds its way into my Facebook feed in the near future. And if it does, then I'll further second-guess if I'm just being told something that "they" know I want to hear!

It's a mess. Too much of a mess to even keep track of. So I'll just get my butt out of bed and get to work every day and go home and love my man and play with my cat and raise my sons and live my life because whatever is going on in the world doesn't change any of that. So. What.

Analyst, Fire & Hefe My poly quad from August 2015 to July 2016. Still dear & loved friends.

Blood:
Ninja- 19, Son
Q- 16, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband
Old 12-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Banned

Default The reality of politics.

There's an old meme that I find inspirational: "Think globally, act locally."

By all means, get involved in national elections!! Choose a candidate who represents your views will -- if there IS such a creature -- & do good stuff on her/his/their behalf.

...but realize its limits.

First, the stark reality of party affiliation.

I was chatting (at a bar, naturally ) with a guy I know who's about my late Dad's age. Harley is mostly a calm Republican (assuming that's still legal ), or at least believes he is.

I chuckled. "Harley, you're not a Republican, any more than I'm a Democrat."

He looked very baffled, so I explained. The following figures are based on the realities of small-town upper Midwest but can be readily tweaked for anywhere.

I said, "The main key is money.
"In the past year, of you haven't donated at least $100,000, you're NOT a national-level Republican.
"If you haven't donated at least $10,000, you're NOT a Midwest-level Republican.
"If you haven't donated at least $1,000, you're NOT a state-level Republican.
"If you haven't donated at least $100, you're NOT a county-level Republican.
"If you haven't donated at least $10, you're NOT a city-level Republican."

He admitted, somewhat sheepishly, he'd made no donation.

"Well, whatever," I said. "Let's go for the bonus round, with actual acts of activism. How much time have you spent
  • as a delegate?
  • staffing a campaign office?
  • making "get out to vote" phone calls?
  • putting mailings together?
  • delivering yard signs?
  • driving people to the polls?"

He admitted he'd done nothing.

"Neither have I. We don't belong to any party. At best, we are commodities -- or rather, we possess a commodity: one vote. That is all that we are worth. And nobody can verify what we actually do with it."

My city has almost 8,000 residents. Through a fluke, I now live about 100 feet away from the mayor. I spent a couple hours chatting with him & his wife tonight (at a bar, naturally ). I know his brothers well. He still considers my late Dad to have been a great friend.

Dad was the cemetery's sexton (a position now held by my brother). After Dad died, among the well-wishers I shook hands with were a state Senator & a state Representative (who's since an airport commissioner & chairman of the public health commission).

And Mom used to babysit a guy who went on to become majority leader of the state Senate. When she was concerned about the possibility of me getting drafted, or if I was having problems (inevitable, really) with getting financial aid for college, she would send him letters & sometimes call him directly.

I don't have any actual "clout," but I certainly DO have a cordial relationship with local power.

And as much as I wish Bernie Sanders could've had a turn at leading this nation in a sane direction, the fact is that I can affect my "village" much more through direct personal connections than I possibly could through one measly vote.

People who say they want to change the world ought to be carefully scrutinizing who is running for office within a small radius.

Skip the city council. Elect smart, open-minded people to the school board & the library board, because those people DIRECTLY affect the intelligence of children.

Worried about how local housing laws might be used against poly families? Learn how you can work to get someone sympathetic onto the zoning commission.

If there's no good candidate, then FIND one.

Better yet, run.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Skip the Mistletoe This Year

Scrolling through my FB page this morning, I saw an interesting meme that suggested that this may not be the best year to hang mistletoe in the office - safe to say that is probably excellent advice.

It did, however, bring to mind a quote from Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" - posted without further comment:

Quote:
“The country and culture commonly known as "America" has had a badly split personality all through its history. Its overt laws were almost always puritanical for a people whose covert behavior tended to be Rabelaisian; its major religions were all Apollonian in varying degrees---its religious revivals were often hysterical in a fashion almost Dionysian.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
Bouncingbetty: ldr girlfriend to Al99, poly, pansexual female, early 30's
Ben: Becky's medium-ldr bf, heterosexual male, 40's

My Introductory Post - An Unexpected Introduction to Poly.

Last edited by Al99; 12-03-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Ravenscroft wrote:
Quote:
....the fact is that I can affect my "village" much more through direct personal connections than I possibly could through one measly vote.

People who say they want to change the world ought to be carefully scrutinizing who is running for office within a small radius.

Skip the city council. Elect smart, open-minded people to the school board & the library board, because those people DIRECTLY affect the intelligence of children.

Worried about how local housing laws might be used against poly families? Learn how you can work to get someone sympathetic onto the zoning commission

If there's no good candidate, then FIND one.

Better yet, run.
I appreciate the perspective - my wife made it a point to get involved in the PTA just to "keep an eye on what is up at the school" our daughter attends - and soon found herself serving at the district level - where she has the opportunity to offer direct input to the local school board.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al99 View Post
my wife made it a point to get involved in the PTA just to "keep an eye on what is up at the school"
I know it's not the point of your post, or of this thread, but isn't this the only reason to join the PTA?
Old 12-03-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al99
my wife made it a point to get involved in the PTA just to "keep an eye on what is up at the school"
Karen replied -
I know it's not the point of your post, or of this thread, but isn't this the only reason to join the PTA?
Lol - I have discovered that to be true with almost everyone I've spoken with. In fairness though, I have met a couple of folks where the motivation was more about just "being involved and helping out as a service" - but definitely in the minority.

Tags
opinion, politics, religion, sex, taboo