Hello and needing direction

SewWhat

Hello! I'm not quite sure if this group is the right place for me, so forgive me if it isn't, and please help point me in the right direction. I recently started a relationship with a poly man. I am mono. He has chosen to be monogamous for my sake. I have many questions. I have spoken to my partner and intend to do so in more detail, however I am curious about other perspectives. I am worried that he loves me so much that he will damage himself in the process. I am looking for help in opening more dialogue with him and trying to understand if a poly can be happy in a monogamous relationship, or if this is doomed to fail. If anyone can help point me in a direction of some discussions that might be helpful, or a place where I can post questions, I would be grateful.

Thank you!
Danielle

My personel thought is.... he thinking of u and has alot of respect and loving u is very important; however another thought, maybe he is questioning his polyamours vs monogamy. I read psychology and polyamory it does seem that it can be taken back to childhood or maybe trauma, let's face it the brain holds many a memory and if it's possible to think differently then it's possible to revert.

Hello SewWhat,

I think you have come to the right place. There are any number of discussions on these forums about mono/poly relationships and the views of people who have been in each type of relationship at different points in their lives. Try searching "monogamy" or look at the current "How Did You Come to Poly" thread for people who have done both and look up their other posts. It seems some people can go from poly to mono quite contentedly but they are less likely to post here. Take your time and look around to get a full picture and not just a few snapshots of different mindsets.

It sounds like you and your partner are looking out for each other and open to discussion and those are a good start to a relationship

Leetah.

Greetings Danielle,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

You can actually ask questions right in this intro thread ... also a couple of good places for posting questions are General Poly Discussions and Poly Relationships Corner.

I also know of some good poly/mono resources, such as Franklin Veaux's Poly/Mono Pages. I hope that helps a little!

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

Back