Having a bad night

MissSadieD

Ugh... Can't seem to shut my brain off tonight. Keep going back and forth over what I should do about the whole D-and-his-girlfriend situation.

He's given me veto power (unpopular, I know), and part of me wants to use it. Not so much because I'm jealous, although I have my moments, but because their relationship started as cheating. On the one-hand she isn't crazy or looking to take him away from his family like the last woman was, and I'm not worried about her showing up or making a scene (we aren't "out").

But on the other-hand I hate, hate, HATE the fact that it started as an affair, and that she's perfectly fine with him sneaking around and being disonest. It makes my skin crawl. I always thought that I would eventually meet anyone he was seeing, and that we could at least be friendly towards each other. There's no way that will ever happen with this woman.

This wasn't what he and I discussed when we started talking about opening our relationship, so now I'm stuck wondering if I should ask him to stop seeing her and find someone else so we can start fresh, or just going along with it (better the Devil you know...)

This isn't a polyamory problem; this is a dishonesty problem - and if I am reading your post correctly, not the first

Here is how I tend to look at such things: cheating sucks ass, but the person you had the relationship with when the cheating began was your husband; it was he that broke your agreements; not the other woman. The other woman may have substandard ethics, but at that point you had no agreements with her. That said, because of the long term relationship with your husband - the one who actually broke your agreement - you are willing to work things out with him, and shift much of your anger and blame to the woman with whom you have no history or agreements.

Why should she bear more of the blame and anger than your husband? Because she is a stranger and you have nothing to lose by maintaining your anger toward her rather than the one who actually broke your agreement?

I can't answer your question for you. It is obvious you are angry, and rightfully so. I would say that regardless of what you do, this anger needs to be put to rest. I would suggest that perhaps you and your husband need some counseling.

And I have to ask this question: if your husband cheated before with this woman, what is to say he won't again if you veto their relationship? Is that a good reason not to? No, it is not. Posing the question is to point out that there are larger issues here: your husband's inability to stand by his agreements. This kind of behavior does not work in monogamy or polyamory.

Last edited:
similar story

Hi. Your story sounds all too familiar. I did not exercise veto power, but my husband and his girlfriend ended up breaking up in large part, due to the impact of their continued relationship on our marriage. The result is, that we are living in the same house, but communication has all but stopped. I don't know what the answer is, but when things begin with dishonesty, the foundation is unstable. If their relationship strips yours of potential, then I'd address it in a real way. In my opinion, an individual who is willing to be a part of a cheating dynamic, is not truly suited for poly.

I'm sorry you struggle. Could relax a bit though. Do your own self care FIRST.

Then later? Could take it one thing at a time rather than trying to do all your heavy thinking at once. Because it is a lot, and each one needs other questions answered first. If you need help sorting, maybe you want to see a counselor.

• Is staying here with them healthy for you?
  • Are you willing to rebuild trust with him so a marriage can continue? If not, what blocks your willing?
  • Are you able to rebuild trust with him so a marriage can continue? If not what blocks your able?
  • Are you willing to rebuild trust with him? So a healthy polyship can happen? If not, what blocks your willing?
  • Are you able to rebuild trust with him so a marriage can continue? So a healthy polyship can happen? If not what blocks your able?
  • Are you willing to rebuild trust with her? So a healthy polyship can happen? If not, what blocks your willing?
  • Are you able to rebuild trust with her so a marriage can continue? So a healthy polyship can happen? If not what blocks your able?
  • Are you willing to rebuild trust with (him and her?) So a healthy polyship can happen? If not, what blocks your willing?
  • Are you able to rebuild trust with (him and her) so a marriage can continue? So a healthy polyship can happen? If not what blocks your able?

• Has he apologized and asked for forgiveness?
  • Has she apologized and asked for forgiveness?
  • Have (him + her) apologized and asked for forgiveness?
  • Have you forgiven?

• How many strikes is this episode? First strike? Or 3 strikes you are out? People can have second chances, but people cannot have ENDLESS second chances if they are just sitting around talking blahdeblah and not actually making effort to change.

• Is his character strong and his Word ultimately trustworthy? Is he willing/able to make actual effort to repair a mistake?
  • Is her character strong and his Word ultimately trustworthy? Is she willing/able to make actual effort to repair a mistake?
  • Is (him + her) together strong in character or do they bring out YUCK in each other? Are they willing/able to make actual effort to repair a mistake?

• Has he asked for opportunity to make amends to return to right relationship with you?
  • Have you given that and listed what behaviors you want him to execute to make good?
  • Has he actually delivered? Have you actually let it go?

• Has she asked for opportunity to make amends to return to right relationship with you?
  • Have you given that and listed what behaviors you want her to execute to make good?
  • Has she actually delivered? Have you actually let it go?

• Have they as a couple asked for opportunity to make amends to return to right relationship with you?
  • Have you given that and listed what behaviors you want them as a couple to execute to make good?
  • Have they actually delivered? Have you actually let it go?

All those answers are needed in order to change the bigger picture from (a cheating thing) to (a poly thing.) And moving through each of those layers to arrive at a clean slate takes THOUGHT and TIME. What layer are you on? I cannot tell.

It's the polymath thing -- a larger polyship is made up of all the mini relationships inside it. And you got dinged in a LOT of mini relationship layers.

Right now you are in transitional space -- an (up in the air thing.) It's ok to feel unsure and weird and unsettled. Don't rush decision making just because it feels weird to be in Hang Time. But don't spend forever in Hang Time either -- avoiding having to decide what needs doing, the time to be doing it, and the time reviewing it to see if it was actually done or not so you can decide the Bigger Picture.

You can't live in Hang Time forever.

• Figure out what needs to happen, do it, review and if all questions check out? Then you all can begin a polyship now with clean slates.
  • Or decide to try it on, and if you conclude at the end of that time that things fell short? HOW short?
    • Way off? Forgive but don't continue. Amends fell short. Instead let go and terminate in peace.
    • Super close? Extend the time limit and see if it arrives after all but just need a bit more time. It takes time for people to learn new skills and new ways of going.
  • Or if you know you want to terminate NOW, you don't even WANT to be working toward polyship with these people -- don't bother with making amends time! You already know it NOW that you will not forgive, and let it go. Don't postpone it and just drag out. Terminate NOW rather than later if you know in your heart you are just not willing and able and it's a hard limit. No amount of time will change that. Get YOU to the healing place faster.

Either way you pick -- you can be free of (up in the air) UGH.

If you choose to terminate? HOW you terminate could be

• You ask him to honor a veto request. (He does or doesn't honor it.) You bow out or stay.
  • You don't ask him to honor a veto request. You bow out or stay.

Could stop getting hung up on the veto. I mean, you could certainly ASK since that is part of your agreements.

But in the end? It's still about your willingness and ability to participate in polyship with these people. Nobody can FORCE you. And you are totally within your rights to say "Nope. No thank you. I don't want to be in polyship with you two players because of the cheating start. Trust is too broken for this relationship model."

Then you can move on to thinking this other question out "I want to continue to participate in marriage with my spouse after an affair. Is trust too broken for that relationship model?"

http://felislunae.org/relationships-love/coming-clean/

Maybe that helps? I know this stuff is hard to FEEL, but what the options are here are clear. Take a time out to soothe your own feelings so you can evaluate your list of things with a cool head. Then decide what you have to decide. The rest is coloring in the outline picture with your group details.

Hang in there.
Galagirl

Last edited:
Well last night everything came to a head.

I told him he had to stop seeing W, because I couldn't handle that it started with an affair. If this is the life he wants, that's fine, but I needed a clean slate. He said ok, and said he wanted to talk to her and explain things...

No. Absolutely not. I know it probably makes me a terrible person, and I'll catch hell from people here for saying it, but there was no way I was going to allow it. The look on his face and the tone of his voice almost made me snap. In that moment it felt like he was more concerned with hurting her feelings than mine. It was like finding out that he cheated all over again, and it broke my heart.

I sent her a text telling her it was over, and she responded by saying when it started she didn't know he wasn't single, which is BS (I read their messages on LL, she knew). Now he's mad. He wanted to let her down gently because she has low self-esteem etc. Funny, he didn't care to let me down gently when cheating (twice), even though I'd just had his baby and was diagnosed with PPD, and my body image and self-esteem were at an all-time low.

I don't know what's going to happen now. We've talked about therapy but he doesn't seem terribly interested...

In short I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to read and comment. I know I've been on a bit of a rant about the whole thing, but this isn't something I'd be able talk to my friends or family about. Thank you!

Well last night everything came to a head.

I sent her a text telling her it was over,

WOW. I can see your really angry but he should have been the one to contact her.
I personally hate veto but if it works for you two then ok, but him not being allowed to have a face-to-face/skype/ phone call ending conversation is really cruel .
Take a step back and have your husband end things gracefully in what ever way they need to have closure.

They don't have the right to end things "gracefully", not when they started it they way they did. She should be thankful I didn't plaster the pictures she sent him all over the internet. I hope she feels like sh*t, and wouldn't feel the least bit sorry if she did something about it.

ok

You have the right to feel that way, no one will tell you that your anger is wrong, those are your feelings and how you handle them is up to you, I'd be pissed too.
But IMHO if you want him to be opened and honest , this will make him hide things from you in future.

There is no future with him. This was his second chance and he blew it by doing the exact same thing he did the first time.

His actions make it clear that he doesn't want an open/poly relationship, he wants a license to screw around. He could have told me about her before they met, but he chose to sneak around and have his friends cover for him. He's a coward and a liar

Last edited:
There is no future with him. This was his second chance and he blew it by doing the exact same thing he did the first time.

Than what you wrote to her was incorrect, you are ending it with him, that does not necessarily mean he is ending it with her.

You have a right to be angry, but she doesn't owe you anything, she did not break faith with you, your husband did, he is the one who you should be directing your anger to. You are doing the usual thing of focusing too much on the other woman (person).

that does not necessarily mean he is ending it with her...

I told her everything he said about her, that he referred to her as his "moped" (fun to ride but embarrassing if your friends see you on her). I doubt she'd speak to him now if he tried.

I hope that anger makes you feel better, but it won't sustain you forever.

And women have forgiven much worse.....as you have done, so I wouldn't start dancing a jig so soon.

You have every right to be angry. You have been treated poorly. But lashing out at her does you no good. It might feel good now but shortly it will just feel empty. She should have not cheated. That was wrong. But direct your pain (for that is what rage is) at where it belongs - with your ex.

I'm sorry it ended this way. I'm sorry he was not capable right now of being a better person.

However, you have a child with him. That means he will be in your life in some way for the rest of your life. His cheating does not automatically make him a bad father. A bad partner yes, but he might still be a good father. Be angry at him. Rage at him here. Talk to friends about your feelings. But make sure to leave your child out of it. I realize she is an infant now and won't understand but get in the habit of not tearing him down in front of her.

You do not have the luxury of writing him off, as good as that might feel, as much as he might have earned that. You have to be the better person here and figure out how to co-parent with him. You do not have the luxury of being petty. Your child desperately needs you to be the adult and start working this out with him.

And do get treated for PPD. That is more important than ever now. I wish you the best.

He blew it because he AGREED to break up with her?:confused: Wasn't him breaking up with her the desired outcome? Or were you also wanting to be in charge of the METHOD of how he broke up with her?

I think you could have allowed your anger to get the best of you and forgot that this was YOUR second chance with him too.

You seemed mad he wanted to do a break up in a decent way.
  • Maybe you didn't trust him to actually do it.
  • Maybe you felt jealous that NOW he was ready to consider other people's feelings. And you envy she is going to get/got better treatment at her breakup time than you got when they started the cheating time.
  • Maybe you are mad he was (considering her feelings when breaking up with her) and you overfocussed on the "consider her feelings" part of it and not the "BREAKING UP WITH HER" part of it.
  • Maybe he wasn't considering your feelings enough for you or in the way you wanted. Not then, and not now.

Could you step back to see maybe he had to go through this whole experience to learn to consider other people? :confused: And part of the price of admission for you to arrive at "Yay! They are broken up! Now on to repair our marriage!" place is tolerating a bit more? So he can end that thing decently and so become more willing to work with you?

Anyway... You did NOT let him handle his break up with her how he wanted to do it. Instead, you blew up at him.

This behavior of yours helps you and his SHARED second chance at (the you + him relationship repair time) start off well HOW? It isn't just his second chance. It's yours too.

His behavior toward her -- trying to be decent to others -- how would that new behavior or new skill set have benefited (you + him) moving forward? You don't want him to treat people other than himself decently? :confused:

If you knew you did NOT want to be with him why not just break up with him to start with? :confused: Rather than going with second chances for (you + him repair time) that you really aren't invested in?

I am baffled. I think you could be under great emotion still and it could have clouded your judgement a bit. :(

I'm still not sure if you want to be together as a married couple or not... but you could approach it with a cooler head.

• Could make up your mind that you want to be all OUT of the marriage. So in your behavior you choose to help it disband clean and quick to get you to healing faster.
  • Or you make up your mind that you want to be IN for healing it. So in your behavior you choose to be in there helping him to do the work of repair to get you to the healing place faster.

But become firm of purpose and stick with what you decide. Then align your behavior with it. Because you have to co-parent no matter what happens to the state of the marriage.

Creating NEW hooha with your behavior on the marriage layer just ADDS to the burden on the co-parenting layer for you. It does not TAKE AWAY from your overall burdens. You keep yourself in the hurting place with that behavior. :(

I know this is hard, and not fun. I am very sorry you are going through this. But try to MINIMIZE the suckage for yourself -- not maximize. :(

Hang in there.:eek:

Galagirl

Last edited:
It never pays to be vindictive, and the satisfaction you gain from being mean to the girlfriend will be short-lived, I guarantee it. Because when the red fumes that are coming out of your ears start to clear, you'll still be stuck with that cheating, cowardly liar of a husband of yours - in other words, you will still have to deal with his betrayal. You both have a lot of work to do - for him, it will be to regain your trust, and for you, it will be to reach a place of forgiveness and trusting him again. Acting like a jackass toward him or his girlfriend accomplishes nothing other than satisfying an urge to inflict pain on someone in retaliation for the pain you felt. But the dishonesty and hurt between you and your husband is still there - so how do you expect to "start fresh" with letting him find a new girlfriend while you are still so hurt and angry? You resolved nothing by doing what you did. I say, get thee both to counseling!

Last edited:
Hi, MissSadieD!

This thread ends in 2013. I see from another 2 of your comments that you were still with D in 2015, and [at least minimally] active here in 2016. Could you give us an update?

Since your other thread is on "Introductions", but deals with your relationship with D, may I suggest to moderators that it be merged with this one here?

Back