Favourite movies thread

On the Star Wars movies, I have to agree with Nerdpower13. I grew up on Star Wars. I loved A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I too am a massive Star Wars nerd (almost as much a Star Wars nerd as I am Transformers). While I don't dislike the plot, or what they tried to do it boils down to one thing.

George Lucas is a terrible writer.

Hear me out on this. George Lucas wrote only -one- of his big original movies, A New Hope. After that he did the smart thing and got himself some help. He helped write several of the others, but he always had someone there to clean things up. George Lucas is like James Cameron; he needs a little help, and by the Gods when he gets it you get things like Indiana Jones, the original Star Wars movies, Willow, and American Graffiti. By himself you get, well, The Phantom Menace.

Of course, that said, the Expanded Universe (henceforth known as "EU") hasn't been exactly all that picky with what gets pushed though. I give the old Marvel comics a pass because, well, those where fairly typical of comics in that age and they where a lot of fun. No, my spite for the setting I grew up with and loved is aimed squarely at the novels.

You see, back in 1991 Timothy Zhan put out a little book called Heir to the Empire. Up until that point the only EU material had been the Marvel comics and 7 novels, and yea, they where actually pretty good for the most part but unknown for the most part. It wasn't until Zhan put out the new novels that shit got real. Star Wars was suddenly on the radar again and next thing you knew there where novels coming out of our ears. The quality of some of those books makes Lucas' attempt at writing like epic masterpieces. Namely it was batha poodo. It's gotten to the point I only read a few things out of the EU, namely Zhan's novels (he's consistently good and it's been noticed*) and the comics set either way before or after the movies.

Now that rant is out of the way, yea, the newer trilogy isn't as terrible plot/story wise. It's the writing and the sometimes hamfisted acting that does it in. The Clone Wars cartoon, however, still amuses me. Captain Rex is one of a handful of characters not from the movies that I enjoy.

*Timothy Zhan created several bits of Star Wars lore. Coruscant, the capital of the Empire, was never mentioned in the original movies. He made it up and used it in a novel. It was so well received that it was one of the few pieces of the EU used by Lucas when he wrote the prequel trilogy. If you are wondering why that's so awesome, do some digging. Lucas tossed 90% of the EU and did what he wanted with the movies, as is his right.The fact he saved that one thing says a lot.

I heard of Timothy Zahn's books.. actually, I believe my friend (Evan, he's the one who doesn't like the new Star Wars movies) was telling me to read his books.. and I said I would, one of these days, laugh :p. You sound like you know what you're talking about with all of this stuff, so I'll take your word for it. I didn't mind The Phantom Menace, but the second and the third were much better in my view; I'm guessing he had some help with those :)?

I didn't mind The Phantom Menace, but the second and the third were much better in my view; I'm guessing he had some help with those :)?

No, he didn't. However saying that The Clone Wars and The Revenge of the Sith where better then the Phantom Menace is like saying you prefer your turds lightly seasoned. Yea, it's better, but damn if it's not saying much.

No, he didn't. However saying that The Clone Wars and The Revenge of the Sith were better then the Phantom Menace is like saying you prefer your turds lightly seasoned. Yea, it's better, but damn if it's not saying much.

Seems like you really didn't like them, laugh :). So you think the first 3 were much better?

The Crow- all time favorite movie
Lord of the Rings- books too
Pirates of the Caribbean- Geoffrey Rush is awesome
Indian Jones
Star Wars
Underworld
To Wong Foo
Death Becomes Her
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tremors
Machete

The Crow- all time favorite movie
Lord of the Rings- books too
Pirates of the Caribbean- Geoffrey Rush is awesome
Indian Jones
Star Wars
Underworld
To Wong Foo
Death Becomes Her
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Tremors
Machete

I loved the Lord of the Rings movies and books as well. Also liked The Crow, Pirates of the Carribean, Indiana Jones (my favourite was Raiders of the Lost Arc), and Star Wars (favourite was Revenge of the Sith). I gotta see some of those Underworld movies, they look good. Haven't seen the rest.. well, some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons, but it's not the same I'd think :p.

Back