Should I be "looking"?

juber

So I have a question for the rest of you.

Many of you already likely know my current situation. If not you can read bout it here.

To sum up, my wife is Bi and has recently felt the strong need for female companionship. This has led her to ask for an opening of our marriage so that she may explore these very strong feelings. She has found a friend within a month and they will be meeting up together for the first time in a few weeks.

I myself haven't felt a "need" to go actively looking but I don't deny that it sounds nice to have someone that I can connect with outside our marriage as well. I also won't deny that, after only having three sex partners in my life, the idea of a new sexual partner is titillating. I'm not unhappy with my marriage in any way and I am not Adonis but our sex life is good.

I just feel a bit of a pull that it might be nice to have another person to connect with on different levels. My wife and I connect on a lot of things but there are certain topics I feel strongly about that she just isn't interested in talking about. Perhaps I could find another partner that's more interested in these sorts of topics and even some activism.

So, is this enough that I should perhaps go looking for another partner?

If I do, does it make sense to wait until my wife's external relationship is solidly established before I go looking? (my feeling is that Yes, it does make sense to do this)

I'm not looking for advice on how to look, I think I can figure that out on my own. I just want to know if anyone else has faced this. Does it sound like I actually want another partner, or am I just entertaining the idea because my wife has something outside out marriage I should too?

I don't get out of the house a lot - but I occasionally go to game conventions (like Gencon) and I could possibly meet some people there. There is also a pretty open poly community nearby and I know a friend who is openly Poly and would probably be happy to introduce me around.

Thoughts?

Personally, if you truly have the need, I wouldn't wait. It's very nice of you to want to wait until your wife gets her thing going, but honestly, what they're doing is mostly independent of you. Sure there's some time balancing issues, but ultimately their thing is their thing.

One question springs to mind when I read your post: are you comfortable being alone? I see you're an otaku (in the non-pejorative sense) and there's nothing wrong with that. I love doing cosplay myself and it gives me time to just be me and be alone with my thoughts. Being comfortable with yourself isn't easy, but I'm learning more and more myself that it's a critical survival skill.

I think finding someone new (if it's the right person) would be healthy. More love is more love.

I'm in a very direct mood, so hope you understand if I don't take a gentle and "Awww, it'll be okay," tone.

How should I know? It's your body. You get to choose what to do with it. Or are you asking should you be actually looking at all-- or should you wait for a girlfriend to drop into your lap? I'd suggest the former, as girlfriends tend not to do the "dropping in lap" thing.

If I do, does it make sense to wait until my wife's external relationship is solidly established before I go looking? (my feeling is that Yes, it does make sense to do this)
It doesn't make any sense at all, to me. Why do you need to wait on your end? What does "established" mean? If your marriage is ready to be opened, then I don't see why you both can't go looking. In your position, I'd be pretty pissed if my partner said, "I'm going to date others, but you have to wait for mine to be 'established' first."

Does it sound like I actually want another partner, or am I just entertaining the idea because my wife has something outside out marriage I should too?
I'm not a mind reader. If you want to date others, that's cool. If you only want other partners because SHE does, that's not cool at all. Which is it?

I don't get out of the house a lot - but I occasionally go to game conventions (like Gencon) and I could possibly meet some people there. There is also a pretty open poly community nearby and I know a friend who is openly Poly and would probably be happy to introduce me around.
Yep. You could. What's stopping you?

Look, don't get a girlfriend just because you can. But if you want to connect to others, you really just have to get out there and start talking to people. It works kind of like dating monogamously. It sucks. You get rejected. And maybe you find someone cool.

I never go actively looking for anyone.

I go about living my life and meeting people the old fashioned way.

Yes I am poly but I focus on having quality relationships not the number. If Butch where to pass away or we were to divorce. I could easily see myself in a monogamous relationship for a while

I just feel a bit of a pull that it might be nice to have another person to connect with on different levels. My wife and I connect on a lot of things but there are certain topics I feel strongly about that she just isn't interested in talking about. Perhaps I could find another partner that's more interested in these sorts of topics and even some activism.

Up to you. Maybe you want more friends, maybe you want another romantic partner.

If that is your gut feeling, go with it. Because how adept you are at weathering change and what dating resources (time, energy, effort, money, etc) you have to hand -- only you know. If this is the best time, it's the best time. If this is not the best time, it is not the best time.

I will note the polymath is not additive -- it is geometric. Going from 2 to 3 is a big change. Going from 2 to 4 is a bigger change.

Galagirl

It varies. Since you and your wife are brand new to poly, it might be well to wait until (or IF) her new relationship is chugging along.

If she is in NRE, and then you find someone new and are also in NRE, that can be complicated! I started my blog here a few years ago, when I was just getting started with my gf miss pixi, meeting men who I felt all twitterpated about, and then miss pixi also had a new bf. It was a lot to deal with!

NRE can cause some people to neglect or emotionally bruise their established partners, so make sure you both take steps to stay connected.

I've got 2 established partners now. In the past half year, my bf Ginger has dated 4 others, and I've stopped dating anyone new, partly because I kept being disappointed in people I've tried to date, and more recently because I've had trouble dealing emotionally with Ginger having a new potential every couple months... ugh. Example: seeing Mischa on Tuesday, C on Saturday and Buddhist the following week! Yikes. My head is spinning. Right now all these potentials have fallen through and I am hoping for a period of calm.

I would definitely recommend socializing in the poly community and trying to make more poly friends. If your wife is going to be in a poly relationship, you will likely need more support and advice than you can get on a forum, the kind of support you can get from trusted friends. Polyamory ain't easy.

If something catches fire with a new friend, great. I don't think you need to actively look for a partner per se. In fact, my experience has been that when I am the most invested in an outcome like that (finding a new partner), it doesn't happen. My partners tend to show up in my life when I'm not really looking. And I know many other poly people who report this as well.

You should know that it is possible to use poly and poly-friendly dating sites like OKcupid to just make friends. I have made many online friends over the years who I never ended up dating. I also recommend checking out meetup.com and seeing what poly groups exist in your area beyond the one you know about, if any. If not, you can start one.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I see very good points in all of them. I keep starting a reply and then having to start again because of a new post. If you replied and I miss addressing you directly I apologize but know that I did read and appreciate your response.

I suppose I am a bit Otaku although it's mostly because I have a job that allows me to work from home full time (and often more than full time lol). I am pretty comfortable being "alone" if she goes out or whatever. But who is ever *really* alone in a house with a 2 and 7 year old :p

That is, of course, another thing to consider. Can't neglect the kiddos in pursuit of PolyFriends! Kids come first, always. :)

I also play video games and tabletop RPGs across Google+. When I do go out it's with the family or rarely to visit a friend.

Indeed, my inclination is to just "wait and see" if something comes up that fits. I may try the OKCupid thing just to come into contact with some people in my area that might be able to offer friendship and understand what I am going through.

PolyInPractice, don't sweat the directness. I appreciate frank questions to make me examine my own feelings and thought processes. To be clear the idea of waiting is my own "gut reaction" as GalaGirl said. I just feel like it might make more sense to let my wife get through her NRE and crushing before I potentially start my own. My wife has placed NO restrictions on my side of things.

A good point Magdlyn about people in NRE being rather obsessed by the high intensity feelings over the established relationship.

A good point also from GalaGirl about "polymath" not being additive. I can see how things can get exponentially more complicated.

Examining my own feelings I think part of me is eager to explore this new aspect of our marriage. But I also think that anything outside the marriage for me would need to be a low key thing. So anything outside the marriage would be slow and perhaps not even sexual to start but with the potential down the road. I would rather connect with someone at the mental and emotional level first rather than at the physical.

Talking through this with you all and hearing your perspectives has helped me examine my own feelings and clarify things with myself. I don't think it's by any means settled but it's clearer.

I think I'll look at OKCupid like scarletzinnia mentioned and see what it's like. Maybe throw up a profile and see what comes up.

Thank you everyone for responding and to anyone still going to respond. I will be happy to see anyone elses thoughts on the matter as well.

By the way, there's a difference between "actively looking," in the sense of seeking a romantic partner, and building relationships.

NO ONE got a partner or multiple partners by staying at home and quietly going about our business. If you want another romantic relationship, you have to be actively maintaining and building friendships, in varying degrees, of course.

But if you focus too much on whether someone might be a potential date? It's actually detrimental. You know what they say, you never find what you're looking for until you stop looking.

I'm not saying don't try at ALL, but focusing on people, as people first, might find you connecting to someone in a way you never even considered. Don't worry about the romantic connection till later.

But if you focus too much on whether someone might be a potential date? It's actually detrimental. You know what they say, you never find what you're looking for until you stop looking.

I'm not saying don't try at ALL, but focusing on people, as people first, might find you connecting to someone in a way you never even considered. Don't worry about the romantic connection till later.

Thank you for that because that makes a lot of bloody sense. I think I'd like to just build some new friendships with poly friendly/knowledgeable people and see where things go.

My current circle of friends only includes a single person I know is poly and we've kinda drifted apart with my having a family and a full on career but I think maybe I'll reach out to her.

Juber,

I agree with the poster who stated you had better make sure your agreed upon boundaries are adhered to. Just because H of woman your wife is interested in wanted to make sure you knew about the meeting, does NOT mean he will not try to get your wife into bed. And if he is present when all the passion starts, that could easily happen, especially if you throw in a little alcohol.

Personally, until this arrangement proves to be workable, I would have insisted on no other men at the meeting and date, unless you are now OK with the possibility of what could happen. You two should go over your agreed upon boundaries again and have a serious discussion after if the meeting actually takes place.

Good luck

Thank you again everyone for the additional replies.

My wife is very aware of the DH situation and I trust her not to put herself into a situation in which she is compromised. She has myy every confidence.

Ariakas is absolutely right. I'm going to focus on just making a few friends in the poly scene. Not for anything except to discuss any issues that come up. :)

I never go actively looking for anyone.

I go about living my life and meeting people the old fashioned way.

Yes I am poly but I focus on having quality relationships not the number. If Butch where to pass away or we were to divorce. I could easily see myself in a monogamous relationship for a while

This goes for me too.

I mean, yeah, I'm poly, but I'm not going to go out looking for someone to fall for. If it happens, then I will pursue it, but I'm not actively seeking another relationship.

NO ONE got a partner or multiple partners by staying at home and quietly going about our business. If you want another romantic relationship, you have to be actively maintaining and building friendships, in varying degrees, of course.

False.

I threw up a profile on OKC one night because I was bored and the personality questions are fun. I wasn't remotely "looking." A few months later, Auto re-entered the dating scene and started perusing OKC. We matched >90% so she fired off a message. I was intrigued, we went on a coffee date, and *click* we've been together for 2+ years now.

Indeed, the best things in my life have always fallen serendipitously into my lap, with little to no effort on my part. My motto has become "If things aren't working out, stop trying so hard."

I myself haven't felt a "need" to go actively looking but I don't deny that it sounds nice to have someone that I can connect with outside our marriage as well. I also won't deny that, after only having three sex partners in my life, the idea of a new sexual partner is titillating.

I just feel a bit of a pull that it might be nice to have another person to connect with on different levels. Perhaps I could find another partner that's more interested in these sorts of topics and even some activism.

I think these are good reasons to at least be open to the possibilities. Whether you actively go looking or just let the universe deliver as it will is up to you and your personal tendency. For example, how did you meet your wife? That strategy seems to have worked fairly well.

False.

I threw up a profile on OKC one night because I was bored and the personality questions are fun. I wasn't remotely "looking." A few months later, Auto re-entered the dating scene and started perusing OKC. We matched >90% so she fired off a message. I was intrigued, we went on a coffee date, and *click* we've been together for 2+ years now.

Indeed, the best things in my life have always fallen serendipitously into my lap, with little to no effort on my part. My motto has become "If things aren't working out, stop trying so hard."

False. Your experience is statistically insignificant.

lol, just kidding. But while you may be lucky enough to have things like that happen for you, not everyone is so fortunate. For many people, finding and developing a good relationship takes quite a bit of work.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people get attached to one specific outcome, and close themselves off to other possibilities that could be equally fulfilling.

While I won't deny that I'm incredibly fortunate in many areas of my life, a lot of that is also just choosing to be happy about the things that happen instead of fretting over the things that don't.

It wasn't always that way. When I was young and stupid, I always tried to make things be the way I thought I wanted. I would push and push. But Newton's Third Law: the harder I pushed, the harder the universe pushed back.

Also, I don't disagree with the work required for the "developing" a relationship part. I just don't, personally, believe in the strategy of going out and looking for partners. I'm not alone in this, it's come up a lot on the forum and many of the people who are in longer term successful relationships have found them not by trying but just by being open and letting life happen.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people get attached to one specific outcome, and close themselves off to other possibilities that could be equally fulfilling.

While I won't deny that I'm incredibly fortunate in many areas of my life, a lot of that is also just choosing to be happy about the things that happen instead of fretting over the things that don't.

Wise words, my friend.

Also, I don't disagree with the work required for the "developing" a relationship part. I just don't, personally, believe in the strategy of going out and looking for partners. I'm not alone in this, it's come up a lot on the forum and many of the people who are in longer term successful relationships have found them not by trying but just by being open and letting life happen.

I would argue that you did take steps to find someone, even if it was something as simple as setting up a profile on some website. The same thing happened to me, in a way. I met my current girlfriend on a website after she saw my profile, but I had to go through quite a few other girls before we met.

I would argue that you did take steps to find someone, even if it was something as simple as setting up a profile on some website. The same thing happened to me, in a way. I met my current girlfriend on a website after she saw my profile, but I had to go through quite a few other girls before we met.

Fair enough. To me that's more just a matter of making myself available and open to possibilities, and then taking an opportunity when it presented itself.

I also admit that while I myself was not actively seeking, Auto was, and if she hadn't been, she wouldn't have found me.

Similarly, when I found my research supervisor, I was shopping around. Two people independently suggested I get in touch with him. I did and he liked my CV and the rest is history. There was a bit of serendipity in that while I was meeting with him, another of his colleagues dropped in for their weekly chat and I found out that guy's group was looking for a student to put on a scholarship application they'd already filled out. That, ultimately, scored me two free trips to Japan and a $2000 computer to play with at school, as well as some good "name dropping" connections should I ever need them.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that yeah, if you want to meet people, you can't isolate yourself entirely... but you don't necessarily have to be pounding the pavement either.

Back