Polyamory and Ethnicity

Part 1 of 2

Re: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ ... ahhh, the horrors of public libraries and coffee shops impelled this computer dunce to figure out how to a make a special exception for that site's cookies. At last, I received the pleasure of a microscope going up the butt of my implicit prejudices. :) Sort of like a colonoscopy! ;)

Sez https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1 ...

"Thank you for completing the study!
Thank you for your participation. In this study, we are investigating how people's attitudes towards age and gender influence their perceptions of behavior. We are particularly interested in whether participants who have automatic, implicit attitudes associating warm personality characteristics with certain groups evaluate a member of that group differently when they act in a way which violates that expectation. We are expecting that overall, females and older people will be judged more harshly than males and young people.
Our measure of implicit attitudes is the Implicit Association Test (IAT). The main idea of the IAT is that people who have more positive implicit attitudes toward a concept (e.g., older people, females) will be able to categorize the items more quickly when that concept and warm traits are categorized with the same key as compared to when that concept and cold traits are categorized with the same key. Surprisingly, these associations are sometimes very different than our conscious attitudes and beliefs. One purpose of our research is to figure out why that happens. Your results for the IAT are reported below.
*Your data suggest a strong association between the elderly and personal warmth.*
If your score was described as 'inconclusive,' then your performance was not within the range to provide an interpretable result. Most inconclusive results are due to a high number of errors.
Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic associations may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference'. How implicit associations affect our judgments and behaviors is not well understood and may be influenced by a number of variables. As such, the score should serve as an opportunity for self-reflection, not as a definitive assessment of your implicit thoughts or feelings. This and future research will clarify the way in which implicit thinking and feelings affects our perception, judgment, and action.
Thank you again for your participation!"

In the test they shot my way, they put me through my paces with a speed test (oh hells! not a speed test) to identify whether a word or visage signified warm or cold, or old or young, respectively. Don't know how I rated speed-wise but I did finish that part "fast enough for their taste" with zero errors. [cue applause]

Then the story scenario. A person named Chris has been harassing hir fellow employees. Ignoring their input, threatening to tattle on them for trivial offenses, insulting them and whatnot. Not one but many employees have complained about this, so it looks like Chris is the problem, not them.

I was tested to see if I could guess Chris' age and gender. Thinking to myself, "Hmmm, stereotypically speaking, women are known to have subtler ways to harass others. Insults, threats, and dismissals are commonly considered to be male tactics in most cases. So, I guessed that Chris was a guy. I also guessed that he was old because the story said he was close to retirement. Yay me: Both guesses were correct!

I was then asked several questions about what my impression about Chris was so far. How intelligent, how likable, how popular, etc.

I said "slightly unintelligent" because he's been clever enough to get away with this behavior for some time, but not clever enough to forever escape my (the human resources manager's) wrath! I assessed that he was quite mean, unlikeable, unpopular, etc.

However, I only "slightly disliked him" because I figured he might be helped with counseling and/or meds. I do know all too well what it's like to have something comparable to an out-of-body experience where you feel like you're watching yourself act like an asshole, and you can't believe you're doing it. In that sense, I potentially sympathized with Chris. Needed to know more details about the situation to make a better assessment.

Well, suspension was recommended as his penalty for the latest complaint (which had come a link or two up the command chain to get to me). I was presented with a range of one day to over two weeks of suspension -- I assumed without pay.

I judged that Chris needed a substantial wake-up call, so I suspended him for seven days. (And I didn't get to add this on the test, but my words to Chris would have been courteous but stern: "Dude, you have a problem. Get some help for it. I'm suspending you for seven days because you need to know that I mean business. If I catch you acting like that again, you can expect a much worse suspension or even more likely, termination before you can retire. You need help, man. See that you get it!")

And with that, I got the test's appraisal that I tend to perceive old folks as warm folks.

At first I didn't think that tracked because the Mormon church is run by old men (the General Authorities) and I see those guys as cold, cold characters. But then it occurred to me that I used to believe in the church and the General Authorities as well. Throughout my years as a youth, I was merely awed by their calm gentle demeanor as they spoke in the Salt Lake Tabernacle at General Conference.

Furthermore, the old people I met first in my life were my grandparents, and all four of them were quite warm towards me (especially Grandma on my dad's side). I think first impressions really have an impact on us when it comes to the impressions we receive at our earliest ages. That stuff sticks to us for life.

And I had an old aunt (great aunt?) who lived across the street. I used to cross the street and visit her for hours at a crack. She was warm and friendly as could be and we had a great rapport. Aunt Esthma (sp?) was her name.

And to cement it all, I married a woman twice my age when I was 21. That woman always carried herself with grace, warmth, and courtesy. So as she aged, my childhood impressions of senior citizens were confirmed, even though I lost all faith in those dubious General Authorities.

And that's my theory of why the test concluded I have an ingrained tendency to trust older people.

Interesting test. Would like to take more but tick tick tick, that clock just won't stop. :(

[continued below]

Part 2 of 2

[continued from above]

In Post #59, kdt26417 said:
I mean people aren't seriously trying to tell me, are they, that African Americans aren't attending poly get-togethers because I and other bigots are calling them blacks? If I found the right "magic word" to call them, would they suddenly start attending the poly get-togethers that they were staying away from before?
And in Post #73, ColorsWolf suggested:
"Here's an idea: how about calling them 'people?'"
And kdt26417 now replies:
O'pe. Once again I've been caught secretly thinking "black" people aren't really people. :rolleyes: I don't suppose I could restate my former statement? to wit:

I mean people aren't seriously trying to tell me, are they, that certain other people aren't attending poly get-togethers because I and other bigots are calling them "blacks?" If I called them "people," would they then suddenly start attending the poly get-togethers that they were staying away from before?

This concludes my correction of that paragraph. Let me know if further corrections are needed.

I'll probably never live amongst many of the people we're talking about here. But some of those people are talking to us on this thread, board, and forum. That's a start.

And I've got my experience as a missionary in Detroit to bolster whatever I can learn about various people now. I guess it doesn't seem like much, but hey, look at this thread (and its "sister thread"). People on both sides of the cultural fence being discussed here have made some remarkable verbal connections with each other and, in my mind, broken down some significant cultural barriers. So if the two groups of people can keep conversing with each other, then understanding will increase all around and I suspect poly potlucks everywhere will start to look more "colorful." I'd like that!

ColorsWolf, I understand that I can't descry anything from a person I've barely met except what they (or their avatar) look/s like. Imagination fills in the gaps; it's human nature. But I get that the gaps are filled by imagination alone, which may more may not include one whit of reality. I guess I just find that the occasional interactions I have with people of the culture in question, both live and on the net, both private and public, will slowly help me build up a rapport with them and persuade (even one or two of) them to join me in a poly get-together sometime. I don't take that as a guarantee, just as a hope.

---

Re (from LovingRadiance):
"No one would even know wtf he was talking about if he started a thread on the topic without descriptives."

Picture this thread title: "Polyamory and People." :confused:

Re:
"Ironically -- I took the question to another venue -- where I *know* there are people who identify as racial minorities in the U.S.. Because *I can see their photos.*
I asked them *personally* about discussing the topic and used the *exact* words that kdt used -- as a quote.
They responded positively that they would love to communicate with him and appreciated his interest."

O'pe. And I need to follow through on that. Sorry I've left your PM on the back burner for so long; that's not usually like me. I'll try to get to it, uh, when I'm done with this post perhaps.

Re:
"Maybe the *real* issue is that people who *don't want to discuss it should just not discuss it* and people who do want to -- can. :rolleyes:"

ColorsWolf, you do make it really really hard for me to talk about the issues that I wanted to talk about in this thread. It seems to me like almost every post I write, you find fault with it, especially fault in its terminology, and point to that fault as if it were proof that I hate, despise, or look down on these other people I've been trying to talk about. Don't you think that if I hated said people that much, I'd be pleased as punch that they leave me alone at my poly meetings? But instead, I'm trying to figure out how to convey to them enough of my welcome, warmth, and eagerness to rub shoulders with them, to persuade them to join me and my fellow other people. If this is a con job by me, it's a hell of a con job. So far only you and Dirtclustit have been able to see through it. :(

---

Re: http://aafteota.wordpress.com/2013/11/26/should-allies-speak-out/ ... wow that deserves to be a post in this thread -- and in the other thread I started about cultural issues. Will have to see if I can get it planted there as well. :)

Yes, precisely: An ignorant ally is better than a sagacious enemy. Ignorant allies are willing to be taught and trained. Sagacious enemies figure they already know what they need to know and certainly aren't going to take instruction from the likes of *me!*

What it really seems to boil down to is that we have two (actually many) groups of people who've been marginalized by a certain other group of people. The situation is a big fat mess, and I don't think we can expect to find a perfect starting place to start from in trying to pick up the mess.

It's like when a hurricane or an F4+ rips through a bunch of neighborhoods. Rubble everywhere. Homes in shambles. Infrastructure gone. Live wires dancing on the streets. Roads blocked by uprooted trees and other debris. What more perfect place to start could there be than just picking up a board somewhere, and putting it in a "discard pile." It doesn't put a dent in the mess, but it's as good a way to start the clean-up (and re-building) as any.

And when someone else starts trying to clear a tree off the road, you don't yell, "Hey! We're not working on trees and roads now, we're working on boards! Get over here and help me." People in the midst of a great big mess need to treat each other courteously and considerately if they are to hold their morale together and attempt to wrest a new and better world out of the bitter jaws of disaster.

Race relations are a disaster. Peoples of both/multiple cultures are attempting to clean up the mess. The work is distressing and frustrating. Which is exactly why we all need to learn to exercise some patience and speak civilly and compassionately to one another. The mess (and lives lost) is bad enough without us bickering over every little word.

Last edited:
Kevin, I just think you focus too much on the color of some one's skin or what their "Race" is, is all I am saying.~

I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to make my point here:

It isn't how some one looks, it's their way of life: if you notice that some people of a certain culture are not so numerous in participating in polyamory then that in my opinion is what we are talking about here.~

I am sure there are plenty people with "black skin" that have polyamorous relationships, it's not like "people with black skin are allergic to polyamory", it all has to do with the culture they were raised with and what kind of person they are.~

For example, we had some people here talking about how it is in some Caribbean cultures and others talked about American Black Cultures, etc..~

I am glad you are learning more about people first hand and I am glad you are beginning to realize that there is so much more than just the surface when it comes to people such as the color of their skin or their "race".~

Sincerely,

ColorsWolf

Re:
"Kevin, I just think you focus too much on the color of someone's skin or what their 'Race' is, is all I am saying."

Even after that last post when I tried to stop saying "blacks" and start saying "people" instead? Why can't you affirm my efforts instead of continually shooting me down for my past mistakes?

Of course I care more about someone's way of life than I do their skin color! Their skin color isn't even as significant as their clothing color, since at least they can usually pick out their clothing color and that in turn maybe says something at least about their preferences.

Re:
"If you notice that some people of a certain culture are not so numerous in participating in polyamory then that in my opinion is what we are talking about here."

But, but ... what I've been hearing is that many American descendants of slaves do indeed practice polyamory: It walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck; they're just not comfortable calling it a duck (or anything else for that matter). They don't want to call it anything, they don't want to attend our meetings, they just want to "live the life." Which is their right.

I don't feel *entitled* to have people of every ethnicity attend my poly potlucks. It's just something I thought might be cool if all relevant persons wanted to agree to it.

Re:
"I am sure there are plenty people with 'black skin' that have polyamorous relationships, it's not like 'people with black skin are allergic to polyamory,' it all has to do with the culture they were raised with and what kind of person they are."

Yes and coincidentally it's already been pointed out in various ways and by various people posting on this thread that "black polyamory" is practiced amongst some people's cultures but not others -- depending on religion, traditions, and so forth.

Re:
"For example, we had some people here talking about how it is in some Caribbean cultures and others talked about American Black Cultures, etc."

Umm yeah, sure did. (And I read those posts. Paid attention to them as well.)

Re:
"I am glad you are learning more about people firsthand and I am glad you are beginning to realize that there is so much more than just the surface when it comes to people such as the color of their skin or their 'race.'"

I began to realize that as soon as I was old enough to understand what the words "race" and "culture" meant. The problem here isn't about me needing to be taught to realize it. I'm already there. The problem is me figuring out how to communicate that I realize it in such a way that others can understand and believe. Frankly, I think I've made every reasonable effort to do so. There comes a time when the ball is in the listener's court. That is, the listener must actually *listen* -- not just temporarily bide their time while thinking up a devastating retort.

Have you listened to me? Have you read all my posts in this thread? Did you put yourself in my shoes when you read them, or did you merely scan them for weaknesses? You seem to have quite a penchant for putting people (especially me since a diplomat makes such an easy target) down. Do you do this so as to boost yourself up? There are better ways. What Stephen R. Covey calls a win-win. I don't have to lose in order for you to win. It is possible that the both of us can win. But we've got to stop fighting against each other first.

ColorsWolf, I am just about done with you. I've cautioned you before that I'd only take so much abuse before I'd stop responding to your posts, and we are now teetering on the brink of that change. If you desire that change, any little push now will convince me fully that you and I are done talking. If you don't desire that change, than start treating me as an equal, not as a recalcitrant pupil.

Personally, I think we've wandered far afield from what would really bring diverse poly cultures together. Instead we are arguing about why this or that word is wrong, a classic downfall of the stereotypical polyamorist. Polyamorists are (prejudicially) known for aggressively defending *their* definitions of words and what words *they* think we should use and when *they* think we ought to use them.

I wonder if people who descended in the United States from slaves haven't noticed that about "white polyamorists," and as a result want to step as far away from our semantic battles as possible. If you don't call it anything, then there's no label to argue about. Seems to simplify things, kinda ...

Anyway, I am tired of the criticism and the abuse and the disturbing reversals of personality face just when I least expect it. You need to be more consistent. Either decide that you like me and that you truly support me, or pull that rug out from under me now and be done with it.

This may be the last post I write and direct to you. I'll be thinking about that. It's also very possible the next post I direct at you will simply say, "Sorry man, but we're done."

I beg you not to put me in that position. There's a first time for everything, but I'd rather there not be a first time for this.

Now, I suggest we all get quite back on topic, meaning: What can we do to get polyamorists of every ethnicity to get and meet together more than they have up until now? You're welcome to answer that to accomplish the objective, we need to speak to people of other cultures in logical, non-offensive words. But (and this is the last time I'll ask), don't answer in that or any other way unless you can stop nitpicking at the motes in my eyes while ignoring the beams in your eyes. Remove the beams, and then you'll be able to see clearly to pick out the motes (without plucking my eyes out along with them).

No more kdt26417 versus ColorsWolf nonsense. This thread isn't supposed to be about our apparent enmity with each other. It's supposed to be about getting polys of diverse ethnicities together to join hands, both on the web and in real life.

Enough said. I've tried long and hard to please you and find common ground you and I can share. You've resisted me at every turn, either condescendingly or angrily. Well it takes a lot before I'll admit to being angry in public like this, but I'm admitting it now. *Don't* push me any further. It won't help you, and it won't help this website.

Kevin

I'm sorry, I must have read too much into your posts as I have a tendency to be very literal online as it is extremely difficult to be so otherwise or understand otherwise.~

I'm also sorry if you thought I was arguing with you or being condescending as I did not see that at all, that was definitely not my intent, and I apologize for arguing.~

LovingRadiance also spurred me very much and made my hairs bristle, I mistakingly was seeing you agreeing with her point that it is justifiable to stereotype people and all I saw was her you and this thread taking a turn for the worse.~

But I see now I was mistaken, I realize now there are better ways to get my message across and not to mistake people in place of other people.~

For that I am truly sorry and I hope we can move on from this as you have suggested.~

I agree that we can get more people of all cultures and walks of life to join in polyamory or we might even discover that they already do but they might not "call it" as such, as I believe it was you or some one else who said that (my memory is a little fuzzy right now), if we simply talk to them and try to get to know them all assumptions aside.~

Love,

ColorsWolf

Last edited:
When do we hold elections for Race Relations Officer of polyamory.com because I never got to vote in the last one. Is it cos I is black?

Colorswolf-
I woould like to invite you to check out my real life. (I'm NOT being sarcastic). If you are interested, send me a PM and I will send you my real life info for fb. You need not add me as a friend to see it-because it's an open page.

I grasp what you THINK I was saying and meant.
What you are doing is making a few LARGE assumptions that color your opinion of my meaning. Incorrectly.

You say you are picking about being literal. But you aren't speaking in educated literal terms regarding social psychology. Social psychology (the study of how people think about, influence, and relate to one another) is VERY VERY pertinent to the question that KDT asked in this thread.
It's also MY MAJOR in school of which I am nearly finished with my bachelors and about ready to move on to my Masters (to be followed by a phd). It's my heart. It's the love of my life.

You have REPEATEDLY all over the board said you were interested in learning. So-when you vehemently disagreed with me, I posted the necessary info for you to ACTUALLY go read the experts information regarding what I said. I didn't ask you to take me at MY word. But gave you links to expert information, so that you could more easily access what I was talking about-in fuller depth-and hopefully with less confusion.

But-you didn't do that. Interestingly enough, KDT, did. I would reason to guess he's found some interesting stuff, not only written, but about himself too.

At no point was I making excuses for people mistreating others.
BUT-if we want to elicit change, it's necessary to understand the UNDERLYING reasons why people do what they do when they do what they do.

PART of why people do what they do is nurture (learned) but some is nature.

We DO STEREOTYPE naturally and we do stereotype learned.
But-before we go assuming that all stereotyping can be abolished, it's critical to understand that stereotyping at its core is a natural mechanism of humans and that can't be changed.
What can be changed is when and how and why we are stereotyping what.

I don't have time or interest in RE-WRITING all of my studies into this thread so that you can read it and finally realize I'm not being a bigoted bitch. But I was VERY interested in sharing what I have learned-because it could be HIGHLY useful not only in this thread, but in the personal lives of each of us participating in the thread.

Humans DO stereotype naturally. It's a part of who we are. That doesn't mean we can't learn to be more conscious and more careful about it. But to deny that it's true that all humans do it is naive at best.
Stereotyping is a form of classification. We classify all sorts of shit, including people.
We classify (and stereotype) by grade, by age, by gender, by IQ, by physical ability, by color, by number, by date, by time, by size, by shape....
This is a baseline truth.

In order to affect how people USE stereotypes (which is the real issue); we need to understand WHY they use them and WHAT they use them for so that we can help them be more structured and careful in their use of them.

The world isn't as simple as "right" and "wrong" or "black" and "white". There are many things that we do (like stereotyping) that have GOOD uses. For example, we stereotype plants. When dealing with plant life in a new area, we will often assess a plants useful properties and safety for eating based upon certain stereotypes learned from plants in an area we were familiar with. This can SAVE YOUR LIFE. It's a GOOD purpose.
We also stereotype in bad ways (which is what we are all used to talking about) and I won't give examples, because plenty have already been given in this thread. But the issue isn't to abolish stereotyping COMPLETELY. It's to reduce it back to the original purpose it was useful for.

Seriously-as much as you express an interest in learning about new ideas/concepts and understanding people; you should check out some information on social psych, social perception & attributions, classification and stereotyping etc. Do a search on David G Meyers-great info he's put out on the topics. Well written, clearly written, interesting, sometimes provocative and very educational. You might find that A) you enjoy the topic and B) you aren't so dead set on believing I'm some psycho bitch.

My life is fully integrated with a variety of cultures and races and lifestyles enmeshed in a close and large chosen family. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone in my real life-even if they don't like me personally-who would believe that I am remotely racist or sexist. But-I'm not about to pretend that people aren't what they are or don't do what they DO do.

My life interest is the science of why we do what we do. It's what I study, it's what I center my education on. It's what I know.

kdt-wasn't that an awesome test set up?
I am going to go back and do more of them. There's some cool info about how they came up with that program and what they are doing with the information too. It's really cool.
On a side note-the first test it gave me was on race. Specifically looking for prejudice against "blacks" (as said in the test). It noted afterward, that *most* people in the US (of any race) tend to hold a prejudice to at least some small degree against blacks and explained some of the US cultural effect etc.
But-my test came out having no prejudice for or against either. (keeping in mind that *most by definition being the majority, but could be only 1% more).
The second test showed I had a "slightly favorable" attitude towards prostitutes.
;)

Re (from london):
"When do we hold elections for Race Relations Officer of polyamory.com because I never got to vote in the last one. Is it cos I is black?"

Yes london, it's cos you is black, and as we know all blacks are bigots. Hence unfit to vote (much less run) for the Race Relations Offer job. Now bow your head and humbly and say, "Amen."

Amen. (And also, you will once again not receive a slice of cake.)

I'm definitely with LovingRadiance in the sense that some stereotying is good, necessary, and useful, while other sterotyping is hateful, pointless, and illogical. Sorry if that offends, but I can't just back down on my position -- not without a huge learning curve that gave me lots of citations to confirm the supposed facts along the way.

Yes LR, the test set-up was very nice (even though I hated the "under the clock" pressure preliminaries). Who knows when I'll find good opportunity to try it again later.

Thanks for posting the various links; I believe that they'll help a lot of people (myself included).

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

No offense

buddy o pal

but you have much too firm of a grip

to know what you are talking about

because the object you are gripping

matters much more than how tight

you death grip hold on things are

Last edited:
Okay!

But were you talking to me?

Examples, man. Specifics. I don't have a good enough grip on where you're coming from to know what you're talking about.

You mean I'm defending stereotyping too zealously in proportion to my ignorance on the subject? Help me out here ...

While gripping the object I'm gripping too firmly to know what I'm talking about,

Kevin T.

Re:

Even after that last post when I tried to stop saying "blacks" and start saying "people" instead? Why can't you affirm my efforts instead of continually shooting me down for my past mistakes?

Of course I care more about someone's way of life than I do their skin color! Their skin color isn't even as significant as their clothing color, since at least they can usually pick out their clothing color and that in turn maybe says something at least about their preferences.

Re:

But, but ... what I've been hearing is that many American descendants of slaves do indeed practice polyamory: It walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck; they're just not comfortable calling it a duck (or anything else for that matter). They don't want to call it anything, they don't want to attend our meetings, they just want to "live the life." Which is their right.

I don't feel *entitled* to have people of every ethnicity attend my poly potlucks. It's just something I thought might be cool if all relevant persons wanted to agree to it.

Re:

Yes and coincidentally it's already been pointed out in various ways and by various people posting on this thread that "black polyamory" is practiced amongst some people's cultures but not others -- depending on religion, traditions, and so forth.

Re:

Umm yeah, sure did. (And I read those posts. Paid attention to them as well.)

Re:

I began to realize that as soon as I was old enough to understand what the words "race" and "culture" meant. The problem here isn't about me needing to be taught to realize it. I'm already there. The problem is me figuring out how to communicate that I realize it in such a way that others can understand and believe. Frankly, I think I've made every reasonable effort to do so. There comes a time when the ball is in the listener's court. That is, the listener must actually *listen* -- not just temporarily bide their time while thinking up a devastating retort.

Have you listened to me? Have you read all my posts in this thread? Did you put yourself in my shoes when you read them, or did you merely scan them for weaknesses? You seem to have quite a penchant for putting people (especially me since a diplomat makes such an easy target) down. Do you do this so as to boost yourself up? There are better ways. What Stephen R. Covey calls a win-win. I don't have to lose in order for you to win. It is possible that the both of us can win. But we've got to stop fighting against each other first.

ColorsWolf, I am just about done with you. I've cautioned you before that I'd only take so much abuse before I'd stop responding to your posts, and we are now teetering on the brink of that change. If you desire that change, any little push now will convince me fully that you and I are done talking. If you don't desire that change, than start treating me as an equal, not as a recalcitrant pupil.

Personally, I think we've wandered far afield from what would really bring diverse poly cultures together. Instead we are arguing about why this or that word is wrong, a classic downfall of the stereotypical polyamorist. Polyamorists are (prejudicially) known for aggressively defending *their* definitions of words and what words *they* think we should use and when *they* think we ought to use them.

I wonder if people who descended in the United States from slaves haven't noticed that about "white polyamorists," and as a result want to step as far away from our semantic battles as possible. If you don't call it anything, then there's no label to argue about. Seems to simplify things, kinda ...

Anyway, I am tired of the criticism and the abuse and the disturbing reversals of personality face just when I least expect it. You need to be more consistent. Either decide that you like me and that you truly support me, or pull that rug out from under me now and be done with it.

This may be the last post I write and direct to you. I'll be thinking about that. It's also very possible the next post I direct at you will simply say, "Sorry man, but we're done."

I beg you not to put me in that position. There's a first time for everything, but I'd rather there not be a first time for this.

Now, I suggest we all get quite back on topic, meaning: What can we do to get polyamorists of every ethnicity to get and meet together more than they have up until now? You're welcome to answer that to accomplish the objective, we need to speak to people of other cultures in logical, non-offensive words. But (and this is the last time I'll ask), don't answer in that or any other way unless you can stop nitpicking at the motes in my eyes while ignoring the beams in your eyes. Remove the beams, and then you'll be able to see clearly to pick out the motes (without plucking my eyes out along with them).

No more kdt26417 versus ColorsWolf nonsense. This thread isn't supposed to be about our apparent enmity with each other. It's supposed to be about getting polys of diverse ethnicities together to join hands, both on the web and in real life.

Enough said. I've tried long and hard to please you and find common ground you and I can share. You've resisted me at every turn, either condescendingly or angrily. Well it takes a lot before I'll admit to being angry in public like this, but I'm admitting it now. *Don't* push me any further. It won't help you, and it won't help this website.

Kevin

Grip as in recording, as in grip with a microphone, as in "tying" in to a sound board, as in some assholes justify gripping someone's car or house before they can trust them, but usually such an invasion of privacy is only viewed as acceptable to people who believe themselves superior to others.

Because if you do not have anyone gripped, than there must be a hell of lot of private messaging going on, because it your replies state to me very clearly that you either are an abusive male who doesn't really care if non-caucasians show up to your potlucks.

The only thing I can't tell is whether or not you are caucasian, if you are not I guess you might find this whole thread amusing, while that may be so, it is actually a lot closer to manipulative "playing" with people against their will, as if you enjoy these arguments like others have on other threads, they are willing to bicker back and forth for 22 pages, but they won't just say whether or not the are for equal rights or whether they support bigoted laws which wrongfully discriminate.

and if you are caucasian, if you were serious about being sensitive to offending minorities, you wouldn't keep throwing in jokes about topic, you wouldn't continue to fill the post with sarcasm, slow either you are extremely lost on your ability to learn how to respect those who are not the same as you, or you are of the very minority you are being insensitive to, which is a pretty callous think to do considering that some of us here are actually trying help instead of supplementing inferiority complexes.

So which it?

Last edited:
Part 1 of 2

So, you started off by quoting my entire post from the other day, and I recognized it straightaway as the post in which I kind of implored and insisted that ColorsWolf stop right away with the rebukes and the patronization or else I'd stop responding to him when posting.

I figured, oh, this is a problem about me treating ColorsWolf harshly and unfairly. I guess I can see how it looks that way. I won't try to argue if that's how you see it.

But the fact remains that my "relationship" with ColorsWolf has already changed. I'm planning to respond to much fewer of his remarks, and the few I do, it won't be in a way that addresses him directly, it will only be a comment of mine about something he said. I don't even plan to quote him anymore.

That could change. I haven't blocked him and I can easily watch and see if his general behavior (cause other members take some of his abuse too and can swear to it) improves. Given enough longstanding improvement, I might peek out of my shell again.

But if I see more and more of the rapid cycling between Dr. Jekyll (for a moment) and then Mr. Hyde (for a large colorful rant), even if it's directed at me, I'll probably involve myself less and less in what he's got to say until my involvement equals virtually zero.

Am I ashamed for taking this stance? No. I think it's long overdue. I suspect some members have probably been observing my desperate attempts to pacify ColorsWolf and thought, "kdt26417, why aren't you standing up for some reasonable boundaries already? Drop this guy; don't you get that he's never going to listen to you? It's even damaging threads now with soap opera hijacks."

No doubt I could have spoken more nicely; I admit I was be-yond irate when I wrote that last post. But, in the end, I decided that post needed to be abrasive. ColorsWolf doesn't listen to silk. He only listens to sandpaper.

Anyways I don't have to justify my decisions to anybody especially when the justification further hijacks the thread. But you, too, Dirtclustit, are headed in ColorsWolf's direction as far as my non-involvement is concerned. Which I suppose'll make you happy. You'll be able to snark at me and then pretend like my silence is proof that I agree with your snark. Believe whatever you feel you need to believe, I guess.

---

Now, are we going to talk about racial -- yes racial, not just cultural -- issues that relate to poly, or are we going to intensify the kdt26417-versus-Dirtclustit-and-ColorsWolf WWF free-for-all that the thread is becoming? Oh gee, I think the mods sometimes lock threads when that happens. So how is this WWF free-for-all helping to improve relations between poly people of minority cultures and poly people of majority cultures? Just one of the many reasons why I'm taking a step back from your posts too.

ColorsWolf wants friends. I believe that. I believe he joined Polyamory.com in hopes of making friends. Unfortantely, his arrogant, judgmental, narcissistic attitudes are driving away from him the people who most wanted to be his friends. People are already blocking him because they don't even want to know what he has to say anymore. Others of us are still at least listening to him, but with a mighty cautious ear.

I honestly fear that this reflects the prognosis for ColorsWolf's present and future. He will continue to lose friends on this forum, and he will continue to lose friends out in the real world for the rest of his life, at least until he gets some serious professional help. Meds. Counseling. Most likely both.

Dirtclustit, I don't think you value your hypothetical friends as much as ColorsWolf values his. But I think you're a profoundly unhappy, aggressive, defensive, paranoid person. I don't think you sleep well at night and if you do, I cringe to think what horrors your dreams must reveal to you.

I won't hide that the two of you haven't seriously made borscht out of my heart and porridge out of my brain, nor even that I've shamelessly resorted to the old dysfunctional childhood coping mechanism of making light of shit just in order to get through it. Basically, I've allowed the two of you to make yourselves my childhood parents, and it's neither edified me nor helped my morale.

But the humor has helped, and I've grown more comfortable about using it. This thread, IMO, gets way way way too serious at times. I don't find the thread as a whole to be very amusing at all.

So selfish I am, but at the same time I authentically worry for both of you. If you're not getting professional help, get it. See a psychiatrist. Get meds. Get counseling. Understand that you're not functioning in "the human herd" in a sane or healthy way. You're going to end up very lonely; yes, you too Dirtclustit, who so disdains the approval of others.

ColorsWolf craves affirmation but attacks anyone who indulges that craving, just as intensely as he would a direct insult. He figures out in his mind how every compliment is actually an insult. You, Dirtclustit, do likewise, only worse. You have paranoid notions that someone like me could somehow physically get to you. You've been feeding off ColorsWolf's psychosis and vice versa, and so far it's doing neither of you any favors.

I only know of two (one?) member/s who feel/s threatened by any of my posts. Other than those two, no one's felt like they're being manipulatively played against their will.

I assure you my sarcasm and humor buttons are both turned off. I'm deadly serious, and I'm appropriately concerned about the kinds of verbal choices I've seen the two of you make. You cannot save the world if you make the whole world your enemy.

I wouldn't say I enjoy arguments like these although I must be addicted to them if I keep repeatedly tackling them.

Re:
"They are willing to bicker back and forth for 22 pages, but they won't just say whether or not they are for equal rights or whether they support bigoted laws which wrongfully discriminate."

Well for once an easy one. I am for equal rights. I don't support bigoted laws which wrongfully discriminate. No stuttering there, is there?

[continued below]

Last edited:
Part 2 of 2

[continued from above]

I assume you meant your last post as a collection of specifics and examples for me, but alas your core message isn't getting through. I'll take the heat for that (though relatively specific, literal examples might still help).

You've accused me of gripping something. Of gripping cars, microphones (to tie into a sound board -- I take it you mean that I'm exploiting Polyamory.com's willingness to make my words public?), and houses, all of which violates people's privacy. I assure you I do none of those things literally, and if you meant the accusation figuratively then I admit I don't understand what it means. What does this mysterious word "gripping" mean in plain old Kindergarten terms?

Re:
"Usually such an invasion of privacy is only viewed as acceptable to people who believe themselves superior to others."

Ah, thank goodness I'm not one of those people who believes myself superior to others; otherwise I'd view such invasions of privacy as acceptable.

You know, this thread has been so odd. Every black member I've talked to has been totally fine with, and friendly towards me. (I guess I'm supposed to assume they're faking it to be polite?) No complaints about whether I scientifically described the precise optical nature of their skin, or whether I called them this, that, or whatever. No complaints about me using the word race instead of culture, or culture instead of people. No complaints that I wasn't doing the work I needed to do to get to know them culturally and personally and bond with their viewpoint. They've been warm, cool, and helpful toward me. Any olive branch I offer, no matter how sickly and wilted, they accept with unabashed thanks, and an outpouring of their hearts.

Black members on this thread have enriched me with much racial -- yes racial -- knowledge that I didn't previously have. I've felt like I've had a whole new perspective after reading their posts.

Please note that black members and I have been teasing each other with jibes here -- racial jibes yet -- even sarcastic racial jibes. No black member has yet complained. Nor have I. Only you and ColorsWolf have complained, and not insincerely, either. Both of you are cut and offended to the core by the least hint of levity where cultural issues are concerned. You're missing out on some good laughs, man. That's all I've got to say. And no I don't think it's hurting their self-esteem. I think they're stronger than that.

Now I don't know if you and ColorsWolf are willing to admit your cultures and ethnicities, but if both of you are Caucasian, then it looks like the only flak I've taken on this thread has come from two particular Caucasians -- and that all the black members here are kind, forgiving, tolerant, emotionally sound, mentally sane, rather wise, and intelligent. Maybe black polyamorists avoid white polyamorists because they've noticed that a few white polyamorists have gone way off the deep end.

Mental illness isn't part of the real you. It's a disease that needs to be cured, for your own sake. This is *not* a slamfest. It's a concerned, worried, heartfelt plea towards both of you: Get help. You need it. Badly.

Re:
"Some of us here are actually trying help instead of supplementing inferiority complexes."

Good. I'll just go ahead and count myself in with the group, "some of us here," since I'm actually trying to help instead of supplementing inferiority complexes.

I don't think any minority culture here is in danger of anyone feeding its inferiority complexes. But I can think of two (probably Caucasian members) who each have a superiority complex as well as an inferiority complex -- and both types of complexes are getting worse. The two opposing kinds of complexes seem to be feeding each other.

---

Re:
"So which it?
Are you a bigoted or just overwhelmingly rude Caucasian, or a manipulative dishonest non-Caucasian who doesn't respect privacy?"

No jokes, no sarcasm, no messing around, and no obfuscation.

I am not bigoted. Everyone but you and ColorsWolf will agree with me on that.

I am not overwhelmingly rude. You and ColorsWolf have that dynamic covered and I don't need to add to it. This, right here, is the rudest I'll ever get. In real life I sometimes lose it. When I'm posting on a public thread, I control my temper. Even when I'm mad I control my temper.

I am Caucasian with pretty much all-European ancestry, especially English, German, and Eastern European blood. I think I have a swatch of Native American blood. I don't know if I have any African American blood.

I am not manipulative. Explosive? Sometimes, in "real life." On the forum? Never.

I am not dishonest. Do I joke around a lot, even at some people's expense? Sometimes yes. Guilty.

I certainly respect privacy, and I'd like to know *exactly how I haven't been respecting your (and/or ColorsWolf's) privacy.*

---

Re:
"Either you are extremely lost on your ability to learn how to respect those who are not the same as you ..."

But if that's true, how have I managed to get along with everyone (especially those of minority cultures) on this thread except two particular persons (who I suspect are both Caucasian)?

Yes I get and respond to some private messaging. Not my favorite venue by the way. I'd rather we all just discussed things out in the open on a public thread, so that many could benefit from reading the material, and many could enrich the material by adding their own perspectives.

Re:
"Your replies state to me very clearly that you either are [a non-Caucasian? or] an abusive male who doesn't really care if non-Caucasians show up to your potlucks."

And yet it was me who brought the subject up by starting this thread. If I was an abusive male (is "male" an insult?) who doesn't really care if non-Caucasions show up at my potlucks, wouldn't it have been wiser of me to let sleeping dogs lie (and not start such a thread as this)?

Dirtclustit, this is by far the longest post you'll ever get from me. From now on, I'm going to distance myself from you, and you're welcome to brag that's it's because you supposedly proved me wrong. Eventually I'll probably stop repying to anything you say altogether -- a threat which would scare ColorsWolf but I know it doesn't scare you so score yourself a point.

Last edited:
What i would like to say is "you white folk be cray cray", but I'll say something else.

I come from London (durr), a cosmopolitan jungle of every nation you could imagine. I live in Hackney, Google it, fantastic place. I had ten white British people in my whole year at school. So yes, those white people grew up eating Jelof rice with their Nigerian friends, can swear or insult people in several languages, understands variations in culture and how it differs from religion, are PC. All those things.

There are also places in the UK which are predominately white British. These people have limited experience with people from other countries and might not understand all these things. Some aren't prejudice at all, they just don't know. So they might say things that aren't PC or ask some seemingly basic questions but it is curiosity and nothing more. You know when it is malicious. It isnt easily hid. I think the way to deal with the faux pas that they make such as calling someone black, "coloured", isn't to beaten them, just keep saying black. If you create a comfortable environment for them, you can discuss why black is more appropriate than coloured, but I often find that they just start doing the correct behaviour anyway.

So what I'm saying is that whilst it is clear that kdt hasn't had much experience with people from other cultures, races, planets, etc, he hasn't been offensive at all. The few times he has walked the line with his comments were because he was led to do so by other major contributors to the thread who aren't as PC as they think they are. He was responding defensively to their imagined slights against him and in teying to fit their warped version of "This is how you don't be racist", he actually started to say things that could be construed as racist. (But don't worry, kdt, it wasn't your bad)

I'll go back to when I said that us ethnics get pissed off by (often unintentionally racist) white people who want to be the judges of what is and isn't racist.

Last edited:
Re:
"So what I'm saying is that whilst it is clear that kdt hasn't had much experience with people from other cultures, races, planets, etc., he hasn't been offensive at all."

*Thank you.* (sheesh)

I have no problem being called an ignernt redneck. That's pretty much what I am. What else could I be after growing up in Utah, steeped in Mormon doctrine/culture which includes the disgusting proposal that certain pre-mortal spirits "rode the fence" when it came to deciding whether to fight on God's or Satan's side in the war in Heaven ... and that God caused those fence-riders to be born with dark/brown/black skin (thus subjecting them to an "appropriately" low station in mortality) as a penalty for their wishy-washiness where cosmic issues were at stake. A church that would let black males be churchmembers but wouldn't let said males hold the Priesthood -- not until around 1980 when public outcry against white-against-black bigotry became so deafening that the General Authorities coincidentally "announced that God had now told them" [read: realized that their public relations would soon circle down the drain unless they were] to finally start letting blacks have the Priesthood.

That's the kind of church, attitudes, and culture that I grew up in. My dad plain old hates blacks and always seizes the opportunity to brag about it whenever company's over. Given all that, I consider myself to have done quite well by realizing that the church was/is full of shit in its doctrines and attitudes about blacks, and that blacks as a whole haven't done anything wrong to hurt the United States or anyone/anything else; it's the whites who are predominantly blameworthy for all that.

I started this thread because I *knew* I needed to identify better with blacks and with other minority cultures worldwide, if I was ever to have a hope of being a tiny bit of the catalyst that might one day bring "poly majorities" and "poly minorities" together in increasingly more forums, and in increasingly more local poly groups and functions. I don't propose to "save the world" here. I just want to know some humble little things I can do to play a better part in my own role in this mixed-up world.

If fixing what I call black people will help, then great, I'm glad to do so. But this thread has demonstrated that the right thing to call black peoples is far from agreed upon (even in the States let alone worldwide). So the best I can do is try to guess at which pejorative will offend the least people (especially among minorities), and apologize to any whom the pejorative does offend. Boy would I love one "safe moniker" we could use world-round, but such doesn't exist and probably never will. And that's why I urge us to "settle down" about the whole nomenclature issue and focus on our attitudes, tone of voice (which can often somehow be detected even via the internet), and the physical way in which we pose ourselves towards minorities and how we physically treat them. Again, using words to change attitudes is, IMO, almost always pulling the cart before the horse. It's a sad reality given how hard people have tried to choose the right word to signify all blacks. But it's reality and we're stuck with it.

Heck I was born into "the Utah bag," rarely ever leaving my state let alone leaving my country. So do I have a lot to learn about the wide range of "black cultures" populating the world? Hell to the yeah. Strange coincidence, ain't it, that most black people seem to feel quite uncomfortable about the idea of living in Utah; hence, Utah remains almost totally (I'd say 97-99%) "black free."

The best chance I had to understand at least one particular black culture better was when I worked as a missionary in Detroit, and when (after marrying a women I'd met and grown close with in Michigan) I subsequently spent twenty years living in the suburbs just north of Detroit. That latter opportunity was much less rich than my missionary opportunity, because the black population of Detroit and the white population of its suburbs are pretty starkly separated. While living in those suburbs, I only occasionally ran into a black person here or there, and never got to know any of them much.

But as a missionary, I was blessed to "baptize myself by immersion" into the midst of black homes, persons, and communities. That baptism lasted about six months and shines as six of the most attitude-adjustment-wise productive months of my life. I didn't just get to know the race/culture there better. I plumb fell in love with it. And in so doing, by the way, I also earned the ire of many white Mormons who lived in the suburbs just north of that part of Detroit.

So I love black people, but I freely admit that I don't understand them as much (and certainly haven't learned of their worldwide diversity) as I should. I don't know how to properly identify with any of them. I'm stuck in the "NRE" stage of how I feel about black people as a whole. The LTR getting-to-know-you stage lies out of my reach for the moment. Which in fact is exactly one of the main reasons I started this thread. So that I could gain knowledge, understanding, appreciation, etc.. I *want* to understand what it must be like to wear a black person's shoes -- in the U.S., in the U.K., and all over the world. I can totally see that one black culture can be very very different from another black culture.

So for those black people who've been so generous in giving to and lifting up this thread and its objectives: Thank you. I hope I'll never offend any of you so much that you couldn't forgive me or wouldn't want to continue to converse with me, and that you'll continue to try to teach me all you can of what you feel I ought to know, say, and do.

Said in warmest of sincerity,
Kevin T.

Last edited:
Colorswolf-
I woould like to invite you to check out my real life. (I'm NOT being sarcastic). If you are interested, send me a PM and I will send you my real life info for fb. You need not add me as a friend to see it-because it's an open page.

I grasp what you THINK I was saying and meant.
What you are doing is making a few LARGE assumptions that color your opinion of my meaning. Incorrectly.

You say you are picking about being literal. But you aren't speaking in educated literal terms regarding social psychology. Social psychology (the study of how people think about, influence, and relate to one another) is VERY VERY pertinent to the question that KDT asked in this thread.
It's also MY MAJOR in school of which I am nearly finished with my bachelors and about ready to move on to my Masters (to be followed by a phd). It's my heart. It's the love of my life.

You have REPEATEDLY all over the board said you were interested in learning. So-when you vehemently disagreed with me, I posted the necessary info for you to ACTUALLY go read the experts information regarding what I said. I didn't ask you to take me at MY word. But gave you links to expert information, so that you could more easily access what I was talking about-in fuller depth-and hopefully with less confusion.

But-you didn't do that. Interestingly enough, KDT, did. I would reason to guess he's found some interesting stuff, not only written, but about himself too.

At no point was I making excuses for people mistreating others.
BUT-if we want to elicit change, it's necessary to understand the UNDERLYING reasons why people do what they do when they do what they do.

PART of why people do what they do is nurture (learned) but some is nature.

We DO STEREOTYPE naturally and we do stereotype learned.
But-before we go assuming that all stereotyping can be abolished, it's critical to understand that stereotyping at its core is a natural mechanism of humans and that can't be changed.
What can be changed is when and how and why we are stereotyping what.

I don't have time or interest in RE-WRITING all of my studies into this thread so that you can read it and finally realize I'm not being a bigoted bitch. But I was VERY interested in sharing what I have learned-because it could be HIGHLY useful not only in this thread, but in the personal lives of each of us participating in the thread.

Humans DO stereotype naturally. It's a part of who we are. That doesn't mean we can't learn to be more conscious and more careful about it. But to deny that it's true that all humans do it is naive at best.
Stereotyping is a form of classification. We classify all sorts of shit, including people.
We classify (and stereotype) by grade, by age, by gender, by IQ, by physical ability, by color, by number, by date, by time, by size, by shape....
This is a baseline truth.

In order to affect how people USE stereotypes (which is the real issue); we need to understand WHY they use them and WHAT they use them for so that we can help them be more structured and careful in their use of them.

The world isn't as simple as "right" and "wrong" or "black" and "white". There are many things that we do (like stereotyping) that have GOOD uses. For example, we stereotype plants. When dealing with plant life in a new area, we will often assess a plants useful properties and safety for eating based upon certain stereotypes learned from plants in an area we were familiar with. This can SAVE YOUR LIFE. It's a GOOD purpose.
We also stereotype in bad ways (which is what we are all used to talking about) and I won't give examples, because plenty have already been given in this thread. But the issue isn't to abolish stereotyping COMPLETELY. It's to reduce it back to the original purpose it was useful for.

Seriously-as much as you express an interest in learning about new ideas/concepts and understanding people; you should check out some information on social psych, social perception & attributions, classification and stereotyping etc. Do a search on David G Meyers-great info he's put out on the topics. Well written, clearly written, interesting, sometimes provocative and very educational. You might find that A) you enjoy the topic and B) you aren't so dead set on believing I'm some psycho bitch.

My life is fully integrated with a variety of cultures and races and lifestyles enmeshed in a close and large chosen family. You would be hard-pressed to find anyone in my real life-even if they don't like me personally-who would believe that I am remotely racist or sexist. But-I'm not about to pretend that people aren't what they are or don't do what they DO do.

My life interest is the science of why we do what we do. It's what I study, it's what I center my education on. It's what I know.

I understand what you mean.~

I just think a step towards a more tolerant and understanding world might be to consider the possible information about people, but also attempt to get to know them.~

This was my point all along, just those words, I'm sorry for any damage, hate, anger, confusion, and chaotic meanings I have caused.~

This message is for every one I have caused this to.~

I want to be a better person, some times I need help, I have been stopping and thinking about myself and what I want to say before I say it, not just on here but every where, my own family has told me so as well I just haven't actually heard them until now, I'm working on myself: I'm sorry, I can be a better person, the person I want to be, I am trying harder now than ever before, thank you every one.~

Sincerely,

ColorsWolf

ColorsWolf, that was a good post. It makes me feel more hopeful about the promise of the future (and the chance to be real friends).

And I agree that half (or most) of the battle WRT improving cultural relations is to get to know people not even just as "a culture," but as individual, unique people. No two white persons are alike; no two black persons are alike; etc. etc.

As for stereotyping, I just think it's a tool that the mind uses. Sometimes it's a good tool for the job (e.g. "most rocks are hard"), other times it's like trying to use a wrench to do brain surgery (e.g. "most blacks are criminals"). It behooves all humans to observe themselves carefully when they stereotype someone or something, and reason through whether that stereotype is likely to be useful or rather than that, if it's likely to be in need of correction.

I appreciate your apology, I think it's sincere, and I honor you for the courage it takes to publicly admit that "sometimes I need help."

There's no shame in needing meds and/or counseling. I take a shitload of meds and while counseling has historically been less than stellar at helping me, the meds are almost as necessary to my survival (and vaguely normal functioning) as air and water. I've been diagnosed with a shitload of disorders: BPD, PTSD, bi-polar, Asperger's, schizophrenia (a "mild" version lacking split personalities and voices from the Mothership in my head, but a version that causes much fear, paranoia, and hyperbole in how I interpret things emotionally), OCD, ADD, general depression, and on and on. No diagnosis seems to be quite it; I almost seem to have some sort of as-yet-unnamed disorder that is something of a hybrid of all those other things.

And it's been decades of Hell, for my doctors and especially for me, trying to figure out which meds will help me. They're too activating (ramping up my anxiety), they're too sedating (depressing me and putting a damper on my sexual functions), they directly dampen my sexual functions which really fires up the anxiety, a few have made me downright freak out and had to be discontinued immediately. My latest doctor, when I first met him, looked at the list of meds I'd taken so far and basically remarked (with eyes widened), "My God, you've tried everything!"

What's working right now, for the most part, is Zyprexa. But the drawback there is that Zyprexa has a penchant for causing weight gain and diabetes. If I get diabetes, that could be a disaster, since diabetes is infamous for causing people to have wild mood swings and mindless freak-outs ... just the type of thing that my poly companions can't stand. The "cure" could end up indirectly becoming the very reason why I'll someday be kicked to the curb. Add to that the tendency to gain weight (yeah like I needed to gain weight anyway), and that's just likely to make the diabetes worse. So I hope like hell that I'll somehow dodge the Zyprexa bullets, because so far Zyprexa is indeed the only drug with a history of calming me down without making me droop into a lifeless state of depression.

My point is, it's not easy to work through having a mental and/or emotional disorder, and I can say that to you level and eye-to-eye because I'm definitely no better off than you in that sense. I definitely need help. I'm lucky to have a woman in my life who's downright obsessive about studying every psychological drug on the market. She knows her prescription drugs so well that my current doctor has asked her: "Are you a nurse? Well, you sure could be." Hell, she's actually told him stuff about this or that drug, getting the reaction, "Oh yes, yes, that's right, I remember now." So she's helping the doctor! He respects her opinions, I'll say that much.

Well, I've talked to her about the "Zyprexa --> diabetes --> wild mood swings and freak-outs --> the end of our poly relationship" concerns I have. She seems sympathetic but remains desperate enough to keep me on Zyprexa anyway, at least for now. I suppose it does buy us some time if nothing else.

So I won't kid you. If you're serious about getting the help you need, you'll probably find that it's a long, tedious, frustrating process. It could take years (or decades if you're like me) before you (and loved ones on your team) finally work out a combination of things that at least prove to be adequate for you.

In the meantime, yes, put lots of effort into thinking a lot about what you're going to say before say it. Ask yourself: "If I say this, in the way I'm considering saying it, using the words I'm planning to use, will I more likely get what I want from my audience, or will I be more likely to alienate and drive them away?" You need to develop a system of communication that helps people feel better about themselves even while getting you what you yourself want, rather than a system of communication that tends to make other people feel crappy about themselves, and maybe even becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if all the denigrating labels start to stick to them. Make a goal to always communicate with a positive spirit! Avoid negativity! Seek common ground, no matter how different another person's perspective may seem to be from your own. There's always common ground out there somewhere if you look hard enough. And once you find it, that's what you can build on.

And finally, aside perhaps Jesus Christ, no one I know of will ever stop needing to learn to understand themselves and others better, and to improve themselves as a person and a human being. There's no shame in having faults and vices to overcome. We're all riddled with faults and vices, some big, some little, all counterproductive and hurtful to ourselves and others.

Remember again Stephen R. Covey's philosophy: Look for a win-win in every situation. An outcome in which you and the person you're addressing will both end up feeling better about yourselves, and becoming better people as well. That's what life's all about. Americans are very competitive and tend to think that "I can only win if someone else loses." But Stephen R. Covey teaches us that if one person loses, everyone will lose. There is no such thing as a win-lose situation. It's either win-win, lose-lose, or "no deal" (no deal meaning that both parties agree to part amicably having found that they just can't help each other). It's a principle that works both in business matters and in relationship matters.

I will do my best to help you with your goals in any way I can. All's I ask is that you do the same for me in return.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Last edited:
As for stereotyping, I just think it's a tool that the mind uses. Sometimes it's a good tool for the job (e.g. "most rocks are hard"), other times it's like trying to use a wrench to do brain surgery (e.g. "most blacks are criminals"). It behooves all humans to observe themselves carefully when they stereotype someone or something, and reason through whether that stereotype is likely to be useful or rather than that, if it's likely to be in need of correction.
ABSOLUTELY! And-just because it looks like a rock, doesn't mean it is! I can't remember what its called, but that stuff you can make in the kitchen (they make it in kindergarten classes for fun) that is solid, then turns liquid, then solid... I think it's made with corn starch and water (I'm soooooo not a kitchen girl). ANyway-it was used as a lesson on "just because it looks solid doesn't mean it is" in one of our classes in grade school. ;)

There's no shame in needing meds and/or counseling. I take a shitload of meds and while counseling has historically been less than stellar at helping me, the meds are almost as necessary to my survival (and vaguely normal functioning) as air and water.
ditto, Severe depression, anxiety, ADD are mine. Joy joy joy.

They're too activating (ramping up my anxiety), they're too sedating (depressing me and putting a damper on my sexual functions), they directly dampen my sexual functions which really fires up the anxiety, a few have made me downright freak out and had to be discontinued immediately.
That sounds all tooooooooo familiar!

In the meantime, yes, put lots of effort into thinking a lot about what you're going to say before say it.

Look for a win-win in every situation. An outcome in which you and the person you're addressing will both end up feeling better about yourselves, and becoming better people as well

Always good!
I try to offer lead in "I'm not sure but" or links/author names/textbook names etc to where I found useful info too. Just because something is well researched doesn't mean it's well-known. But people often like to go read it themselves and when given the opportunity-often they will, before making an argument-which means that the argument is derailed before it gets started. :)

Something else to keep in mind:

Life experience.
We often think that we know this that or the other thing; but if we haven't actually lived through it, we can't know it. We can know ABOUT it. But we can't KNOW it.
That is a strong argument made in many arguments about racial discrimination.
But it's also true of other things. Like struggling with depression or other mental health issues. Struggling with physical health issues. Struggling through the loss of a child or a spouse/partner. Even having a partner versus having multiple partners.

My theoretical beliefs about poly and how I felt it *should* work in my life; were WHOLLY different than what turned out to ACTUALLY function in my life. Very much so. In my theories I wasn't taking into consideration the little technicalities of REALITY that alter a theory.
A theory is great as a kicking off point (we use them ALL OF THE TIME in science). But a theory is still ONLY A THEORY until it's been tested and proven to work.
The reality is that OFTEN theories turn out to be "great on paper but impossible to replicate in reality".
This is true of science and it's ABSOLUTELY the truth with relationships. ;)

Back