What do you do for fun & hobbies?

nikkiana

So everybody... I was wondering... what sort of fun things do all of you do for hobbies when you're not posting here? How did you get into doing whatever it is you do?

I play Magic: The Gathering with good friends.

I drink a lot.

I brew my own beer and wine.

I love driving.

I like cooking too, but I do it enough when I don't feel like it that it kind of ruins my desire to do it more often.

I'm into knitting. My mom taught me how to knit in my late teens, and the year that the Red Sox won the World Series, I just ended up really latching onto it and have been pretty much unstoppable ever since.

I'm somewhat into digital scrapbooking, but less so since I moved to NY.... mostly lack of time and haven't taken as many photos as I used to.

Drinking and barhopping with friends seems to be a somewhat new hobby that's developed since moving to NY... though I seem to be chilling out about that as of late.

I've really been into Rock Band as of late, and I'm a karaoke fiend but since I moved away from New England, I haven't found any karaoke buddies.

I'm somewhat into digital scrapbooking, but less so since I moved to NY.... mostly lack of time and haven't taken as many photos as I used to.

Leaving New Hampshire does that to folks. :p

Oh... I suppose "teasing" is also a hobby of mine!

Riding my bike
Working out
reading
drawing (a little)
watching boxing/mma fights online (I don't own a tv)

Best of all, hanging with Redpepper :)

playing poker (i also deal poker professionally)

cooking

movies (i'm a harsh critic)

TV ( i watch at least 21 different shows)

i've recently been getting more into video games

watching UFC/WWE

comic books

sci-fi

doing things with my family (homeschooling, reading stories, arts & crafts, puzzles, board games, museums, art galleries, parks, etc.)

going to (or being in) a symphony/opera/ballet

"tabletop" role-playing games (I ran games at major conventions, back when that was big)

collecting books, or just browsing in bookstores

Magic the Gathering (we used to play in the tournaments; R and I love to play it after the kids go to bed)

walking (to keep fit)

bicycling (R and I did a bike trip around NY state as our honeymoon)

reading just about any topic, fiction or nonfiction; I am always reading at least 2 or 3 books at any given time

gardening & taking care of my houseplants (I call them "my babies")

history, anthropology, archeology, linguistics (I have a history degree and another in anthropology/linguistics)

doing research

learning & studying languages (I speak over 10 languages, not all of them fluently)

writing fiction and nonfiction

working on my constructed language (or "conlang" for those who know of such things)

movies (as a filmmaker, I have a keen interest in all films)

acting, directing, any aspect of stage/film

doing voice overs for commercials or animation

photography

art (drawing, painting, sculpting, wood, clay, art films, performance art)

Pokemon (games, books, toys, etc.)

watching or discussing all my favorite TV series (Northern Exposure, Lost, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Babylon 5, Farscape, Heroes, etc.)

Tetris

collecting Micronauts & other old toys

used to be into comic books, but that stuff is the crack!
"Whoa, a new Spider-Man title? I'm already collecting 4 of his titles, but I can add another..."
"A crossover with Batman? OK, I can buy double titles for a couple months..."
Practically needed a 12 step program to get out of that addiction! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Working out
Hiking
Fishing
Reading self help books and anything on submissive behavior
Watching true crime shows
Football
Cooking: Italian,Mexican (really just about anything)
Traveling

Hooping (im just learning but its sooo much fun)
Spinning Poi and Fire Poi
Writing/Reading Poetry
Photoshoping piccies
Discovering New Music
Playing Dressup =)

I play alot of online games. Like diablo 2 and wow. I go to college and hang out with friends. Other then that I don't have to many hobbies.

Reading (especially dark fantasy, fantasy and sci fi)
Anime
Video games
Photography (when I have access to the resources)
Movies
Theatre/Musicals
Listening to music
Writing/Blogging

and more :D

~Raven~

I read, a lot, of almost everything. Sci-fi, fantasy, history, science, cookbooks, biographies and anything that catches my eye.

I play RPGs, both table top and LOTRO.

I like to cook, but I love baking.

I crochet. In fact, I belong to a crocheting guild and have recruited others to join. No, I don't make sweaters. I make household goods, almost exclusively.

I like some TV. Cooking shows are probably my favorite. I have a not so secrete crush on Alton Brown. But it's okay, I think my very straight husband does as well. British sci-fi is also great.

Oooh, RPGs are my favorite video games and I used to play tabletop RPGs once upon a time.

British Sci Fi huh... might Doctor Who be included in that? :D

~Raven~

I am in the most funnest band in the universe (it says so on our business card).

I like to make websites. Lots and lots of websites.

I love writing and have written some really great books, short stories, poems, songs, etc.

I really enjoy listening to people. In college I used to go to the Non Traditional Student Lounge or the International Student Lounge and just listen to random strangers and coax their stories out of them. (learned a lot more than I ever could have from all those professors and projects)

reading - mainly online recently, and fanfic mostly

writing - i write erotica and fanfic

flirting - with my firends/loves and whomever else lets me get away with it

movies or tv shows - currently on a dr who/primeval/firefly kick and watchign one of those shows each night lately

playing WoW - on Ysera server, horde side lvl 80 DK

spending time with my loved ones whenever possible

listening to music when i can

going to ren fest when its that time of year

gardening,
reading,
cooking,
writing,
dancing,
learning and teaching practical feminist self-defence,
making mosaics,
talking and listening,
having sex (alone or with specially selected others),
swimming,
cycling,
watching movies,
listening to music,
trying new things,
walking,
flirting,
climbing trees,
exploring new places and ideas,
browsing charity shops and jumble sales,
daydreaming,
volunteering as a counsellor,
watching "soccer",
putting the world to rights in good company over cups of tea!

other things i love to do which i'm not sure i can call hobbies exactly:

almost anything involving time with my niece/nephew/dog/friends/lovers/sisters or a combination of said creatures.

hanging out by myself.

making or buying presents for people i love.

x

Last edited:
putting the world to rights in good company over cups of tea!
I have tried with only limited success, to convince those on this side of the pond of the miraculous powers of tea, not just for personal benefit, but also for solution of various problems of society....

Tell me - milk before or after pouring, or no milk at all?

the thing about milk comes from the days when tea was drunk from fine china cups, having been brewed from loose leaves in a pot. the china was so fragile that if you poured boiling-hot or just-boiled water into them without milk already in the cup they would crack or shatter with painful consequences. the rule "milk before tea" stuck around long after people stopped making tea that way, though, as it became a kind of etiquette or class-snobbery thing.

personally i rarely use a pot, and even more rarely do i use loose-leaves or fine china cups. on special ocassions, but very rarely.

i use teabags, and large (one pint if that makes anything to you?) mugs so its not such an issue. i prefer not to put the milk in for a good five minutes or so because i like the tea strong and once you add milk the teabag tends to stop giving out tea for some reason. also because i am impatient and it cools quicker if you wait before adding the milk.

i use oat or soya milk these days since developing lactose-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome, and no sugar. you?

x

Back