Finding myself

justlost

Hi, I am new to the poly world. I am married for 10+ years and have 4 mostly grown children. My husband has come forward as poly and we are trying to work through this. I am mono, hurt, confused, hopeless, hopeful and just lost...

Welcome aboard.

You'll find quite a bit of discussion centered on monofolk adjusting to their partner coming out as poly. We have several active members in a position akin to yours and I suspect they'll be happy to add you to the conversations.

Hi justlost. I joined after lurking here for a few years for essentially the same reason as you--trying to understand what's happening--except that our roles are reversed. I recently broached the subject with my wife of more than 30 years, not helpfully summarizing us as "non-practicing poly" (me) and "serial monogamist" (her), when in fact I'm mostly confused by my feelings and she is upset by (what I've managed to convey of) them, and by what I perceive to be the cause of them.

Not sure I can offer any insight but in my case the roots may go back to my adolescence & just snowball from there. That would have to be confirmed by a psychotherapist however, and things would have get more out of hand than they are for me to consider it.

AutumnalTone -- thanks for the guidance.

Back